Aspire Nautilus: tips for getting the damned bottom chamber open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JamJarPenguin

ECF Veteran
Jun 1, 2008
EU
I had no problems yesterday, but as I tried to put juice into the thing today...

Yeah, I can't crack this thing open.

Sadly, I don't have a wrench to get a good grip on it. Love the tank... pain to open it >.<
Get your finger nail under the rim where it covers the glass on the bottom of the tank drag your nail all the way round (probably more difficult if you are a bloke, maybe find a girl to help). It releases the pressure on the outer seal a bit, then wrap something around the top & the base (like tea towels) helps with grip & if it does break contains the glass a bit. Then use brute force. I had to do this the other day because my tightening had been a little too exuberant. I'm a girl I managed it. ;)
Don't do it up so tight next time. :D

Last edited:

JustJohnny

Dec 27, 2013
U.S.A.
I just finger tighten everything together. It invariably seems to be tighter the next time I go to take it apart. You don't need to torque it down hard. When it is hard to unscrew, I use one of those kitchen grippy things used for unloosening jar bottles. I make sure not to SQUEEZE the glass, as I'm afraid I will end up with broken glass in my hand (this has not happened to me yet).

Sandylp

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2014
California
www.sandyp.com
I had no problems yesterday, but as I tried to put juice into the thing today...

Yeah, I can't crack this thing open.

Sadly, I don't have a wrench to get a good grip on it. Love the tank... pain to open it >.<

I was hesiant to say that I was having the same problem. I had to use a pair of pliers with a terry cloth to protect the Nautilus in order to open the tank. I have a couple of Nautilus tanks, and have found that with use, the pliers are no longer necessary. I think that when they are new, the suction is incredibly tight.

coldgin96

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2012
North of Detroit, way south of Heaven
Thank God I found this thread! I was beginning to think I was losing my mind! I have 6 Nautilus'. Three are glass which I use at home and 2 are SS which I use when I leave. Plus, I have a extra whole SS with all the parts in that crush proof container ProVape sells out in the Jeep (with spare ProVari.) I know all that is overkill but, given the fact I also carry spare batteries in the Jeep and spare juice in a Ican, pretty much no matter what happens, I can make it home without having to stop and buy disposables or BLU carts. Also, if I'm in a situation where I can't travel (concert), I'm covered. Anyways, out of all those tanks, only 1 gives me trouble like you described and I broke the glass just last night trying to get it apart. It ALWAYS acts like this but it's the only one, hence the insanity...
I carry a Leathermans and now, since this trouble, I also carry a pair of 424 Channellocks ($15.61 shipped, channellock.com). They are little 4.5" pliers MADE IN U.S.A. with a life time warranty that fit nicely in my watch pocket.
While I am sorry anyone is having a problem, it's a little comforting knowing I'm not the only one and am going to take these suggestions seriously. The first one being the fingernail under the seal trick.
Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread