Aspire Nautilus X tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

nick779

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2009
Pittsburgh
I hate to revive an old thread, but im having some trouble. I just got a new N-x with the 1.8 coil and it was working quite well for half a tank. I popped the top to let my new juice breathe as I was getting headaches, and now I get quite a bit of spitting all of a sudden.

Ive completely emptied it and let the atty drain as best I could upside down into a paper towel. I refilled halfway and same issue.

Atty is snug, all seals intact. 1.8 coil @ 15W

Any thoughts?

nick779

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2009
Pittsburgh
Sounds like the coil is flooding so check to make sure it is properly seated in the base or a missing seal could be a possibility.
I found another thread complaining about spitting and flooding after filling, so I blew into the drip tip and a a substantial amount of juice blew out of the air holes. I have no idea how so much got in there, but it seems to be fine.

For the heck of it I loosened the top again and closed it. Got flooding and spitting. It seems that maybe the seal on the top of the tank almost acts like a plunger and pushed juice into the atty.

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
I found another thread complaining about spitting and flooding after filling, so I blew into the drip tip and a a substantial amount of juice blew out of the air holes. I have no idea how so much got in there, but it seems to be fine.

For the heck of it I loosened the top again and closed it. Got flooding and spitting. It seems that maybe the seal on the top of the tank almost acts like a plunger and pushed juice into the atty.

Yeah, the plunger comparison is what I found too. I have 4 of these now and had some slight trouble at the very start. But I found that it comes down to if you top it off, you may have some spitting/flooding. But since I started filling it up 90-95% and leaving enough room for the top to screw down, I've had no issues at all since. I also noticed that once you over fill, that juice does get trapped somehow in the airflow and it's hard to get rid of.

But my last 2 new ones that I got since learning this, I've had literally zero issues now that I'm fairly sure I was just overfilling. I would suggest giving it a good cleaning and start over with a new coil and see if leaving that extra room fixes it. I'm pretty sure it will.

nick779

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yeah, the plunger comparison is what I found too. I have 4 of these now and had some slight trouble at the very start. But I found that it comes down to if you top it off, you may have some spitting/flooding. But since I started filling it up 90-95% and leaving enough room for the top to screw down, I've had no issues at all since. I also noticed that once you over fill, that juice does get trapped somehow in the airflow and it's hard to get rid of.

But my last 2 new ones that I got since learning this, I've had literally zero issues now that I'm fairly sure I was just overfilling. I would suggest giving it a good cleaning and start over with a new coil and see if leaving that extra room fixes it. I'm pretty sure it will.

I still have the spitting after a refill, but Ive found that if I seat the top seal, puff, tighten, puff, snug it down, puff theres no flooding. Just seems like a design flaw.
I will add though, the 1.8 is wonderful for MTL. Ive really enjoyed it. If you try the .6 SS coil from the Pockex it turns the tank into a hybrid MTL/DL tank.

Pretty versatile tank once you use it a bit.

Reactions: drysprocket

nick779

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2009
Pittsburgh
Just to throw in a bit of an update, still really like doing TC with the .6 316L Pockex coils, tossed back in the 1.8ohm clapton with some non menthol juice and its been dry hitting all morning at 14.5w.

Maybe it needs to break in again or something, not too sure, but the .6 coils have been pretty solid for me.

a note for TC though, these behave like parallel coil attys so to get a proper temp I had to change the TCR to 135 (single coils should be 92) otherwise, 25w 255c vapes like a champ

solaar

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
I have a Nautilus X for about a year now and although I appreciate the clean vape when the coil is fresh and no leaking, I had some major issues.

First of all, I've always been a MTL vaper since 2009 and a good throat hit is still paramount for me. I had very fast burnouts with the 1.5 ohm coils. They lasted 1-2 days maximum before the burning taste would set in. Also the juice would get dark very quickly. I run my mod always around 13-14 W. I clean the device every 2-3 days. I had seen on different forums that other vapers had much longer lifespans on theirs so I suspected a whole series of faulty batches from my supplier.

I switched to 1.8 running at 14 W and they last much longer. However - and that's the issue - after about 3-4 drags of 3 seconds each I get this metallic taste and a very sharp throat hit. It's hard to describe. It's not a burning taste, it's more like inhaling hot chili powder. Now the weird thing is that after unscrewing the lid and putting it back on the flavour is back to normal for another 3-4 drags. When I screw the lid back on I hear a hissing sound as if air is escaping.

Any hint is appreciated.

Reactions: Eselfi

drysprocket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Los Angeles
Weird, I wish I could help, but none of mine are doing that. Is it maybe the airflow being open too much or too closed? It just sounds like it may not be feeding liquid correctly. One thing to try.

Also, I haven't used it as the 2ml version much since I got the 4ml extender. If you are using the standard version, getting the extender could be a cheap fix since it gives more space between your mouth and the coil. My only other thought.

*update, I just tried it to replicate what you are both talking about, and I did get a little bit of a burning taste. I think it might just be a wicking issue. I guess I never tried to hit it that hard/often. Maybe upping the nic level would make the need to chain vape it not as much of an issue. Also, I'm using 50/50 juice, so it took quite a bit. If you're using higher VG, I could see it being worse.

solaar

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2009
Thanks for your quick reply guys.

I've discovered another quick fix. When I swiftly blow into the mouthpiece after each drag I don't get the metallic taste. It's weird. It probably has something to do with the airflow as drysprocket mentioned. Mine is always half open.

I'm on 50/50 Fcukin Flava juice. Btw, I'm on this 1.8 coil for 10 days now and there's no sign of darkening.

Will keep trying and will keep you posted.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread