Aspire Triton Mini (Nautilus compatible!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WickedWicks

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2015
Speaking of 16mm, Aspire if you read this, please consider also making a 16mm "Triton Nano" which fits the regular BVC heads. They're still my favorite MTL heads up to date and I've tried a lot.

It's been a long time since the K1, so it'll be nice to see an up to date 510 tank along with a set of new regular BVC compatible heads (1.2Ohm, Ti, SS, Clapton etc...)

Reactions: David Wolf

WickedWicks

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2015
I'm still undecided about the Triton Mini, mainly because of the top fill sytem. I mean: close juice flow --> remove drip tip --> unscrew top cap. How is that easier than just remove the base?
With top fill you could argue it takes more juice, but the juice control bell is quite big so it negates that advantage. And the juice control openings sit too high anyways.

Lots of clearos (or coil heads for that matter) have the major design flaw that the juice holes sit too high above the bottom of the tank, so you can't vape the tank empty. Usually what I do is stuff a small piece of wick in one of the juice holes and let it hang outside the coil head to soak up juice when the level falls below the openings.
Unfortunately that's not possible with the juice control cutting it off in the Triton Mini.

lamensterms

ECF Veteran
Dec 28, 2012
Australia
I'm still undecided about the Triton Mini, mainly because of the top fill sytem. I mean: close juice flow --> remove drip tip --> unscrew top cap. How is that easier than just remove the base?

I don't own this tank, so can't confirm either way... But from what I've seen, I think you can leave the drip tip on the screw cap when opening the top fill (similar to Kanger TopTank nano). So the procedure would be.. Close juice control > unscrew top cap & drip tip assembly > fill. Which does probably work out to be easier than bottom fill: unscrew tank from mod (optional) > unscrew tank base > fill.

Happy to be corrected.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
With top fill you could argue it takes more juice, but the juice control bell is quite big so it negates that advantage. And the juice control openings sit too high anyways.

Lots of clearos (or coil heads for that matter) have the major design flaw that the juice holes sit too high above the bottom of the tank, so you can't vape the tank empty. Usually what I do is stuff a small piece of wick in one of the juice holes and let it hang outside the coil head to soak up juice when the level falls below the openings.
Unfortunately that's not possible with the juice control cutting it off in the Triton Mini.

I don't own this tank, so can't confirm either way... But from what I've seen, I think you can leave the drip tip on the screw cap when opening the top fill (similar to Kanger TopTank nano). So the procedure would be.. Close juice control > unscrew top cap & drip tip assembly > fill. Which does probably work out to be easier than bottom fill: unscrew tank from mod (optional) > unscrew tank base > fill.

Happy to be corrected.
I've had my Triton Mini for 6 or more weeks now and my Nautilus Mini's are on the shelf as backups. Love the top fill, for me it fills in half the time because I typically found myself fiddling/cleaning the Nautilus mini base when I unscrewed the base. I use the standard 1.6 and 1.8 ohm Nautilus coils in the Triton mini.

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015

Happy to be corrected.

You are correct, I just got mine in vapemail (like a few minutes ago) and it appears to operate identical to the triton 2, just a little smaller.

I'm at work but can't wait to try this tonight at home. Have to go to a late meeting first :(

Got the 1.8 and 1.2 coils for it from MVS.

MudVaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2015
Quick assessment after five puffs each (approximately). Neither the Triton 2 (I've been vaping on two of them for a little over a week now) or the Triton mini can hold a candle to the Kabuki (mine's a 510 thread running with 1.8 aspire coil). The flavor is decent in the 2 and mini but falls way short of the Kabuki.

Tootle puffer that I am, liked the flavor on the 1.8 over the 1.2 in the Triton mini.

I just wish the Kabuki wasn't such a PITA to fill. The tritons beat the Kabuki on that front hands down.

Anyone have a good comparison of the Kabuki clone from Fasttech to the original?

Love the flavor and performance of my Kabuki, but hate topping it off every morning and can't bring myself to shell out the same bucks for another one, but would shell out $15, if it's not too glitchy, lol.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Top fill is a cool feature. Is the flavor from the Triton Mini noticeably better than the Nautilus Mini?
Ive done some comparisons but still need to do a blind test of the Nautilus mini, Triton mini, and the Kabuki clone I bought. Initial impressions are that the nautilus mini and triton mini give the same good flavor using the same Pom drip tips and same nautilus coils I put on them, the kabuki clone has the edge on flavor but as I said I want to do more testing. Maybe this weekend.

fiKnight

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Calgary
www.mysticvapor.ca
Ive done some comparisons but still need to do a blind test of the Nautilus mini, Triton mini, and the Kabuki clone I bought. Initial impressions are that the nautilus mini and triton mini give the same good flavor using the same Pom drip tips and same nautilus coils I put on them, the kabuki clone has the edge on flavor but as I said I want to do more testing. Maybe this weekend.

If the kabuki clone on fasttech gives better flavor, I'll pick up one of those. Thanks.

Do you find the triton mini coils give better flavor than the nautilus bvc coils?

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
If the kabuki clone on fasttech gives better flavor, I'll pick up one of those. Thanks.

Do you find the triton mini coils give better flavor than the nautilus bvc coils?
A friend here gave me the Odessey kit and a pack of Triton Mini coils but It's been a busy time so can't give you any comparisons on coils yet.

Reactions: fiKnight

fiKnight

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2014
Calgary
www.mysticvapor.ca
The Kabuki clone (Steam Tribe) has excellent flavor for MTL, but it goes through twice as much juice as the Nautilus Mini and it's a bit of a pain to open with the Allan Key.

The airflow also changes slightly when you open it so you have to readjust it every time.

Worth the $10 if you want to experience some really great flavor occasionally, but not great for a regular tank.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
I have a Kabuki clone tank, with a second one on the way. Previously I was okay with using Nautilus Mini tanks, which are certainly okay for MTL style vaping, but far from perfect. The Kabuki isn't perfect either, but it is a more satisfying MTL vape all around. It has better flavor, improved (nice and dense) vapor production, holds a bit more juice (though it uses a bit more too), and is also lower profile than a Nautilus Mini - without being too heavy or fat. I can run a bit more power through the same Aspire Nautilus BVC heads the Kabuki uses without quickly shortening the coil head's life - as would more often than not be the case when using those same heads in a Nautilus Mini. It isn't that much more fiddly in comparison to how much you have to fiddle with a Nautilus, which isn't all that fiddly anyway. Some people just leave the Kabuki AFC screw out, so as not to have to fiddle with it at all. I haven't gone that far, as I like a reasonably tight draw, but I'll try it out on my next Kabuki clone tank when it comes in. Usually I just use a bit of thread lock on the Kabuki's two (2) adjustable screws (one for AFC, and one for the adjustable 510 connection), so they stay where I want them, which has worked perfectly fine.

I've tried an Innokin Prism T22 MTL tank, which I found to be way too warm, and I did not like the proprietary drip tip design, or lack of any AFC. The new Nautilus X tank sounds like it has some potential, though it is also supposedly extra warm, and unfortunately its AFC arrangement requires a lot of regular fiddling - due to a design that could have been better thought out. So, for now anyway, I'm very good with the Kabuki clone's performance and day-to-day usability. My next few tanks will probably be MTL RTAs, which I'm having a hard time making up my mind on. I like the Kayfun Mini V3 (and maybe the Kayfun V5?), but also the Mini Goblin V2, Hurricane, Pico, etc. I might just play it safe, and cheap, by getting a Kayfun Mini V3 clone. I can only use a no larger than 20mm or so tank anyway with my current vape gear, so that is pretty limiting. Most MTL RTAs will be big bigger around than that, so I think the V5, Hurricane, and some others are not options.

billybc96

ECF Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
Reno, Nevada, USA
The Kabuki clone (Steam Tribe) has excellent flavor for MTL, but it goes through twice as much juice as the Nautilus Mini and it's a bit of a pain to open with the Allan Key.

The airflow also changes slightly when you open it so you have to readjust it every time.

Worth the $10 if you want to experience some really great flavor occasionally, but not great for a regular tank.

The Kabuki clones I've gotten from Fasttech don't need to be opened with an Allan key for refilling. you just unscrew the bottom off like you would with a Nautilus. Perhaps you are referring to the AFC screw? That doesn't normally need to be adjusted once you've got it set where you like it, but thread lock does help hold it in place.

Reactions: fiKnight
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread