Atomizers: Why they suck, and how we can fix them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ideal solution: high frequency vibration of the e-juice to a mist (ultrasonic transducer, like inket printer / cool 'steam'), and mix that with real steam from nichrome heater of distilled water (one cannot efficiently heat a gas as one can a liquid). Result: unheated e-juice mist warmed by mxing with steam. No burning, and no coil residue.

Magestorm

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2009
1.8 amps!!! Really?? As I recall a 3rd of an amp is more than enough to kill an adult human. Are you saying that the batteries hold that much power?
I'm often confused when it comes to electricity, so maybe I'm wrong here.
It's amps and volts. I can take a car battery and apply it to your skin, and nothing will happen, even though it's got tons of amps in there. The voltage is just not enough to push through the body.

Think of it like water. voltage is the pressure, amps is the amount of water. So a source with 1 amp can kill, if ramped up right.

Will the e-cig batteries kill you? no. they have 100-300 miliamps in them, and only about 4 volts. You'd have to stick your tongue on the end and activate the battery just to feel anything from it. (remember sticking 9v batteries on your tongue as a child?)

joedirt

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2009
It's amps and volts. I can take a car battery and apply it to your skin, and nothing will happen, even though it's got tons of amps in there. The voltage is just not enough to push through the body.

Will the e-cig batteries kill you? no. they have 100-300 miliamps in them, and only about 4 volts. You'd have to stick your tongue on the end and activate the battery just to feel anything from it. (remember sticking 9v batteries on your tongue as a child?)

Nope. Wrong wrong and wrong. Because we are dealing only with a resistor, you can use the simple formula V=I*R. That is it. The heat comes from the current. The temp of a NiCr wire (neglecting heat loss from air and the evaporation of the juice) is proportional to the current passing through it.

Since the battery is about 4V and the resistor is about 4 ohms, there is 1000 mA. This is assuming the battery can generate that amount of current and there is no current limiting built into the auto batteries.

It doesn't matter how much current capacity a battery has (like a car battery). All that matters is how much resistance you put across it. Your skin is a poor conductor. At DC voltages, skin is megaohms. Even if you wet your skin or use your tongue it is still pretty high resitance. Your body has much less resistance at high higher frequencies which is why 110AC is more dangerous. (Really high voltages are another matter, that don't apply here.)

Batteries don't have "milliamps".. it IS confusing they way they label them as mAh, but that is a measure of capacity. Lithium Ion is also unique in that they can conduct current at their rating unlike NiMH. So 500mAh LiIon can put out 500mA (you don't want to suck more current out of it without hurting the battery ***Some newer chemistries like LiPo can). That battery can put out 500mA for one hour, or 250mA for 2 hrs, etc.

I could kill you easily with a eCig battery. It does have like 2-10 Watt-hrs in it. But, it would involve transforming the voltage or converting the DC to an alternating current. There is a lot of stored energy in there -- think about how much heat it produces.

Probot

ECF Veteran
Aug 3, 2009
Top of the food chain, N.J.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread