Attn: atomizer rebuilders

Status
Not open for further replies.

loufalore

Feb 10, 2010
Ontario Canada
I just disected my first 510 atty and I was disappointed. Was expecting bakelite or some other ceramic material for holding the coil. Mine was cheap plastic wrapped in the metal mesh material all around. Virtually destroyed it. I think I can rebuild it and make it work but what a mess. Is mine a cheaper version of the real thing or are the ones you have been working on the same? I'm definitely going to need a better magnifying class...

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
louf,

I use a headband magnifier.
There seems to be a lot of diffs from varying manufactures. Most I've had are ceramic cups. The larger the wire dia the less ohms per foot. 35ga is larger than 36 ga. 36ga is 27ohms per foot and 35ga is 20 ohms per foot. Divide each by 12(no. of inches) and you find 36ga is 2.25ohms per in and 35ga is 1.66ohms per inch. So with 35ga, the wire will be longer if shooting for the same ohms as a factory coil. Factory coils are normally 38ga. Getting the extra length of wire in there can be tricky sometimes without shorting it out.
The 510 has 3 diff ohm coils that I have seen. 2.3ohms, 3.4ohms and 4.5ohms for HV use. You'll need to decide what you want so you can measure the correct length.
There are a couple other things to consider making a coil.
You might want to check here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...zer-coil-101-actual-working-methods-only.html

loufalore

Feb 10, 2010
Ontario Canada
louf,

I use a headband magnifier.
There seems to be a lot of diffs from varying manufactures. Most I've had are ceramic cups. The larger the wire dia the less ohms per foot. 35ga is larger than 36 ga. 36ga is 27ohms per foot and 35ga is 20 ohms per foot. Divide each by 12(no. of inches) and you find 36ga is 2.25ohms per in and 35ga is 1.66ohms per inch. So with 35ga, the wire will be longer if shooting for the same ohms as a factory coil. Factory coils are normally 38ga. Getting the extra length of wire in there can be tricky sometimes without shorting it out.
The 510 has 3 diff ohm coils that I have seen. 2.3ohms, 3.4ohms and 4.5ohms for HV use. You'll need to decide what you want so you can measure the correct length.
There are a couple other things to consider making a coil.
You might want to check here:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...zer-coil-101-actual-working-methods-only.html

I have 30 feet of 35 Gauge so, lots to play with. Going to experiment a bit with different lengths and wattages as well to see what glows well.
Got a couple of dead 510s and 901s to play with.

lulubell360

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Gulf Shores, AL
Hi Neighbor,

Heheh, you live in Baja (Lower) Alabama. I'm out northeast of Robertsdale.

crazyhorse

Where is Baja Al.?I live in Summerdale just 17 miles north of Gulf Shores.

Hey neighbors I live in Gulf Shores just moved from Foley. Maybe we can be some kind of local support for each other. Somehow. Are ya'll both aware of the discount tobacco store by winn dixie in Robertsdale that sales juice & other e cig items?

Last edited:
It seems to me that there are miniature ceramic heater "coils" used somewhere. I just can't place where I have seen them. Like 3mm or 4mm diameter and 1mm or 2mm thick. Does this sound familiar to anyone? They would be more durable and less likely to be susciptible to juice. Just a thought.

I am a bit of a hacker and found my way here out of basic interest. I may be offering an option, or taking up space...

What about the heating element of the ilk they use in Vector lighters? The red coil ignites butane to create a flame. Without the butane, the coil just burns red hot.

I'm too new to the forum and cannot yet post links, but phonetically their site is vectorkgm dot com. You can view them in person at most cigar stores and tobacco shops; they have a store locator on their site.

FWIW, HTH.

Last edited:

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
How do you do that without destroying it?

I use a short piece of 3/8" copper tubing or a piece of plastic sink faucet feed pipe as a punch for tapping the guts out from the top (cartridge end). Sometimes, depending on the strength of the glue and the tightness of the knurl, I put a few wraps of inner tube rubber around the atomizer body and grab it with with vise grips to hold it more securely.

Vaporer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2009
Away..
crazyhorses method works pretty darn well on the 801's. The pipe is large enough to clear the bridge and the tire tube give a good scratch free grip on it. We've used that rubber grip method on a lot of things.

There is another method usually on the 1st page of the atty modders section that uses a bolt, nut and a spacer to pressure force it apart. It seems to be a hit or miss. There are 2 types of 801's some having a deeper center connector. The bolt listed is a standard thread. So it grips some and may not have enough to grab others before bottoming out. If you could get the exact metric bolt & nut then use the spacer it'd do abt 80%.
Once they are knocked apart, I never reglue them on reassembly. The splines hold plenty tight enough and make for an easy rebuild next time and come apart pretty easy.

I need to look into some tubing sizes that can work with the smaller 510 & 901 attys. 1/4" copper seems to be a close choice by eying it. Might need to spin it in a drill to take a bit off the OD and then drill the ID to clear the bridge. After that, you could use crazyhorses method on them too. I drop mine in a cup of boiling water for abt 15 to soften the glue and then go after them. Many will come loose just screwed into a battery, but you do stand the chance of pulling the battery connector loose. If that happens, hopefully you used and old dead battery and you can apply super glue after a rubbing alcohol cleaning and glue it back in!

If you want to buy the exact tap & die sizes, to use as extractors, they are listed in a post on here with a source to purchase from.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
Ok, so I was bored today...

Here is a 12v cigarette lighter coil stuffed into a pill fob (2.5ohms) :)
I used a 12v 1.5A power source and did a dripp method using 3 drops. Plumes of vapor I nearly choked LOL

It took about 8 seconds to heat up using 1.5A and after that I could control the heating by cycling the power button. This was just a test to see if it would work and low and behold it does. Here are some pics:
Dan

Attachments

• IMAG0246.jpg
    IMAG0246.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 215
  • IMAG0247.jpg
    IMAG0247.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 198
  • IMAG0248.jpg
    IMAG0248.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 185
  • IMAG0250.jpg
    IMAG0250.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:

nicotime

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 22, 2009
Montoursville, PA
Ok, so I was bored today...

Here is a 12v cigarette lighter coil stuffed into a pill fob :)
I used a 12v 1.5A power source and did a dripp method using 3 drops. Plumes of vapor I nearly choked LOL

It took about 8 seconds to heat up using 1.5A and after that I could control the heating by cycling the power button. This was just a test to see if it would work and low and behold it does. Here are some pics:
Dan

So you was driving down the road and realized you forgot your PV and started dripping in the cig lighter huh?:lol: Amazing how things get invented out of desperation right Dan!:toast:

Thats what I was thinking when I asked about the flat nichrome wire. What do you have backing the coil underneath, like a bed of silica? Oh...and does it pop out when your done vaping?:headbang:

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
So you was driving down the road and realized you forgot your PV and started dripping in the cig lighter huh?:lol: Amazing how things get invented out of desperation right Dan!:toast:

Thats what I was thinking when I asked about the flat nichrome wire. What do you have backing the coil underneath, like a bed of silica? Oh...and does it pop out when your done vaping?:headbang:

Its basically the coil and supporting barrel it is attached to. I cut the barrel off leaving a strip of the side for a pos connector. I then removed the ceramic bottom the neg connecter was attached to and removed the center bolt and flipped the neg connector so it centered the coil in the pill fob. Used a USB connecter and inline switch (3A) to pulse power once hot. Must be careful as the pill fob conducted the heat from the neg connector touching the coil. Will try silica rope to further isolate the heat from transmitting to the pill fob.

Also if it gets to hot it will shoot out into you face :) jk

Actually it performs quite well, just have to monitor it heating up to much. I will check the temp at 5vdc 1.5A and 12vdc 1.5A with my laser thermometer and see how hot this sucker gets. My power supply came from one of my hard drive power supplys for an external USB mass storage adapter.

I did leave it on and connected for 1 minute dry to see if the coil turned red hot but it never did.

Well more testing to be had, more to come :)
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread