Status
Not open for further replies.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
So what happens if you use something larger?
It just gets cropped automatically?

That appears to be what happened to mine.

But I'm confused as to how my avatar is even still there...
Given that it is larger than the 5KB limit.

My avatar was carried over from the previous forum. I got the bright idea to change it. That's where the problems came in. If you try to upload a file larger than 5KB, you'll get an error message and you will have lost your carried over avatar. It won't resize it automatically. So if you like your current Avatar DO NOT CHANGE IT.

Reactions: DC2

MostlySunny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2012
Arizona
My avatar was carried over from the previous forum. I got the bright idea to change it. That's where the problems came in. If you try to upload a file larger than 5KB, you'll get an error message and you will have lost your carried over avatar. It won't resize it automatically. So if you like your current Avatar DO NOT CHANGE IT.
That's exactly what happened to me! I can't get my pic resized small enough pixel wise to upload it again. Guess I'm going naked for the time being ;)

KTMRider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2014
NJ
This is 200 x 200:
dbs_blinkie-size-200X200.jpg

I think it's too big for an avatar and I'm on a 1920 x 1200 monitor (27"). I've built and migrated a few vB forums before and can understand what the admins are going thru (and can sympathize :lol:). 20kb is small but a good balance for both users and server. Most forums I've admin'd, the avatar size was 100 x 100 or 150 x 150 and usually 20kb and it worked great for most users and still kept the db running smooth.

One thing I would like to see would be user's post count, location and join date under their avatar like before.

rbrylawski

Sir Rod - MOL
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2014
Tampa, FL
This is 200 x 200:
dbs_blinkie-size-200X200.jpg

I think it's too big for an avatar and I'm on a 1920 x 1200 monitor (27"). I've built and migrated a few vB forums before and can understand what the admins are going thru (and can sympathize :lol:). 20kb is small but a good balance for both users and server. Most forums I've admin'd, the avatar size was 100 x 100 or 150 x 150 and usually 20kb and it worked great for most users and still kept the db running smooth.

One thing I would like to see would be user's post count, location and join date under their avatar like before.

Your 200 x 200 box is misleading. I can make a picture 200 x 200 that is much smaller. It's the pixel count that matters.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
I snagged my old avi pic before it was shut down ( old ecf) and the new ecf wouldnt accept it so I picked another pic of my coil (1100KB) and it worked.... lets figure this one out.....

I grabbed my sig pic from the wayback machine (internet archive) for ecf. It took some hunting though.

Reactions: EleanorR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread