Basic TC guide/tutorial for rebuilding coils using Ni200 28g?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Hi.
I know how to rebuild Kanathal coils, wicks, etc; but I am afraid I haven't had any time to delve into TC rebuilding.
Have had a Heatvape Invader Mini for about 3 months. Tried using the Kanger Pre-Made subtank mini nickel coils but found the taste extremely muted. That said, I was not a fan of Subtank Minis V1 version and only came to like the taste/vape of the RBA+ deck a few days ago. That might partially be put down to a 3 month stint using Kanathal I now realize was not to my liking but that is irrelevant here. I just wish to show that my present brief TC experience left me sort of flat.

I could have been happy to have left it there but not knowing if it were really just a trend, or the next direction put me in a position whereby I didn't want to lay out any more money on V/W devices instead of TC versions if I found that I preferred it instead. So I need to find out where I stand on the issue of TC.

Bought myself a Sigelei 75 watt TC device.
I see tons of debates back and forth as to whether people like it but i cant seem to find any information, guiding me as to how I go about doing these.

I believe i read that your coils, using Nickel, will generally have about 3x more wraps than they would using Kanathal but alas, no further information.
I dont know if a sub ohm reader will properly calculate ohms in Nickel as it does with Kanathal.
Etc.

So, how do I get started with rebuilding for my new TC device please?

I have several different attys but wish to perhaps use my Delta ll's to test this out.

Can someone please point me towards a page somewhere that will help me get started?

T.I.A

PS Should add I am into taste, NOT clouds but do like my Kanthal devices often at 0.5 ohms and some cooler at 0.9 or 1ohms---for a place to start using Ni200

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Perfect. Will try. Not sure what a machine screw might be but I did see something said about how they must be evenly spaced. I saw someone wrap one around a screw driver and then lightly pulled it apart letting it spring back as it wished, that way the spaces were even so i shall assume I can do that. Solidly attached legs? Are they ever not solidly attached? lol I am guessing u mean that they are left somewhat longer than usual :)
One last question....I will follow that wrap to a T but do they register on a regular ohm meter correctly or as something else?

Thanks, /goes to make one

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Perfect. Will try. Not sure what a machine screw might be but I did see something said about how they must be evenly spaced. I saw someone wrap one around a screw driver and then lightly pulled it apart letting it spring back as it wished, that way the spaces were even so i shall assume I can do that. Solidly attached legs? Are they ever not solidly attached? lol I am guessing u mean that they are left somewhat longer than usual :)
One last question....I will follow that wrap to a T but do they register on a regular ohm meter correctly or as something else?

Thanks, /goes to make one
No, I meant solidly attached :p minor fluctuations that wouldn't even register on a kanthal build will play havoc on a tc build.....and the wire is softer, so be careful not to over tighten as well....it can easily sheer off in the post.

As far as I know, any ohm meter will read fine...... Just need one that can read to 0.00 or better

Reactions: ShelaghDB

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Reactions: ShelaghDB

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
So I just wrapped this on my subtank mini for a ipv d2 that will be here tomorrow. Its 2.5mm 28g ni200 10 wraps. I wrapped it spaced then pushed them together. I wrapped the legs around the screw heads instead of just laying the wire across to the outside. After I wicked it I fiddled with them a little to get them straight. Hopefully it vapes ok, ill find out tomorrow.

igHG1uc.jpg

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Yeah, someone I know elsewhere, on another forum that knows my vaping style suggested to just take of, 7 wraps or so of 30 gauge Ni200 around a 3.0 screw bit and it would come out to 0.18 which it did and was perfect. Using it on the subtank mini rba+ deck. Even in regular mode using kanathal, I will only use 30gauge on the subtank min. They are pushing 2.5 but its so small and so little cotton that it leads to dry hits. Using 3.0 on kanathal, i loved it and no dry hits so it stood to reason that 3.0 would work in TC mode and it does perfectly.

Taste and ohms are all subjective. Using Kanathal, I prefer most of my coils at 0.5 ohms, unless its a custard and often at 1.00 ohms. Its not that i am into clouds for I am not. I am into taste but I vape sweet desert vapes and on a tight 1.6 type draw, they become almost too sickly sweet for me so I need more air to mine, hence, I prefer the taste of a subohm but at a lower wattage than most subohmers. I usually vape only at about 25 watts at the most.
Knowing this about me, this person in another forum whose opinions i trust, especially where i am concerned suggested that for me and it did work perfectly. She was right, for me. Perhaps not for someone else but for me it was dead on!!

I was very sceptical about TC until I got that coil on Ni200 right. Now i love TC....I vape at 25watts on it 392 degrees and that for me is the sweet spot ;)

Have the Sigelei 75TC and now looking for another....and for tanks that are single coil...not quite ready to wrap dual coil tanks yet...lol although single coils are my favourite anyhow but I do have a couple dual coil that are delicious, such as the Goliath V1 and V2, Goblin Mini but for now I have just used the subtank Mini which is so easy to wrap on once you get it the first time. Just have to figure out more single coil attys that will work well

Reactions: KloudsRus420

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
No need to answer this question I had posted. The answer just dawned on me and I was having problems with the decimal point on low builds such as 0.18 trying to picture what 0.18 was but just realized, of course, DUH, that it's close to 0.2...thinking of it that way makes it a bit easier for me to realize what i am doing when wrapping these Ni200 coils as to Kanathal coils

Last edited:

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
So I just wrapped this on my subtank mini for a ipv d2 that will be here tomorrow. Its 2.5mm 28g ni200 10 wraps. I wrapped it spaced then pushed them together. I wrapped the legs around the screw heads instead of just laying the wire across to the outside. After I wicked it I fiddled with them a little to get them straight. Hopefully it vapes ok, ill find out tomorrow.

igHG1uc.jpg
And how did it work out?

rhelton

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 15, 2014
spokane, wa
And how did it work out?
It worked just ok. Just today I got a clapton 28g ni200 over 26g kanthal and its working really, really nice. I have not been having much luck with TC till now, but I normally vape claptons or twisted wire so just regular ni200 coils did not have enough flavor for me . Well this one does, its not pretty but now that I figured out how to make it work I should be able to make some more presentable coils lol. Almost forgot its .199 ohms 35J @ 430 degrees is what im vaping it at.

Tugboat V2

2m85ncG.jpg

ShelaghDB

Mar 9, 2015
Interesting. One thing I have heard over and over is that even the most experienced builders, hobbyists can take up to 2 weeks of constant fiddling until they get it right. Like you, thats why I am still keeping at it. I'm not there either yet................so let me verify this, you CAN wrap a Ni200 wire OVER a Kanthal one in a clapton coil and IT WILL work on TC? I would not have thought you could mix the two types of wires....i just want to make sure i am reading that correctly...?.........One last question if you dont mind, what sort of juice are you vaping? I use desert type juices, sweet, and I find it too hot over 392 and it seems to burn the sugar off too much......not looking for help but just curious when i hear builds that are working, what sort of juice people are using on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread