Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree totally with Izan. :thumb:

0.1 ohm draws 42 amps from a battery. Since the highest continuous discharge rated batteries available
are only 30 amps continuous, that means you are 12 amps over the batteries limit. To find out what current (amps) the coil will pull from the battery in a mechanical mod, you use an Ohms Law Calculator.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway

Everyone is free to set their own safety parameters, and I can only say what mine are. This community only uses the continuous discharge rating for batteries.

Battery Amp Ratings: Continuous vs Pulse Ratings
Battery pulse ratings are useless! | E-Cigarette Forum
There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A!

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-3_11-35-19.png
    upload_2017-10-3_11-35-19.png
    22.2 KB · Views: 103

Ammonarrow

Oct 3, 2017
I agree totally with Izan. :thumb:

0.1 ohm draws 42 amps from a battery. Since the highest continuous discharge rated batteries available
are only 30 amps continuous, that means you are 12 amps over the batteries limit. To find out what current (amps) the coil will pull from the battery in a mechanical mod, you use an Ohms Law Calculator.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway

Everyone is free to set their own safety parameters, and I can only say what mine are. This community only uses the continuous discharge rating for batteries.

Battery Amp Ratings: Continuous vs Pulse Ratings
Battery pulse ratings are useless! | E-Cigarette Forum
There are no 18650 batteries with a genuine rating over 30A!
I know all that stuff.
But can I use any Battery for my application? Or not?

• Disagree
Reactions: MMW

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I know all that stuff.
Not at that resistance. That would be battery abuse and you would be setting yourself up for a battery explosion.

You say that "I know all that stuff". Yet you ask could you use any battery for your application. No, not SAFELY with a mechanical mod. If you wish to use a 1.0 ohm coil, use a regulated mod designed to fire that low of resistance. A mech mod can't do it safely.

The two most important things to know when rebuilding coils is to know the amp limit of the battery you have and to know the measured resistance of your coil.

I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v) in a mech. The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, your 30A battery may only be a 15A battery.

If you're going to use a mech mod, you have to be able to calculate how many amps you are going to ask your battery to safely provide. Then you have to look at what the "continuous" amp rating is for the battery.

So if you battery is rated at 20 amps continuous discharge, you should not build anything that requires the battery to provide more than about 18 Amps. You should ALWAYS leave a little "headroom" or safety margin.

Last edited:

Ammonarrow

Oct 3, 2017
If you know all that "stuff" , why are you asking us.
The build is too low for a single battery mod. Its that simple.
Cause maybe it is working, even with VTC5a or something else. Every site I look at says something different about the rating of batteries.

I dont have any practice, but maybe someone of you has it.

Btw. Could be that they get a little hot or something. Thats what I wanted to know.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Cause maybe it is working, even with VTC5a or something else. Every site I look at says something different about the rating of batteries.

Btw. Could be that they get a little hot or something. Thats what I wanted to know.

Could be they get a little hot, could be that any minor slip sees it venting in your face. CAN you get away with it? Sure. Should you? IMO, absolutely not.

• Agree
Reactions: Kprthevapr

Bad Ninja

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2013
God's Country
I know all that stuff.

"Hold my beer and watch this"

No, not safely.

Every time you fire that build with a single cell you are damaging the battery.

There is no single cell 18650 that can handle that discharge rate.

Know your gear.
Vape safe.

Kprthevapr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 1, 2015
On the River, GA

Even though it works, it might not one day. Have you ever seen the "Splode" commercial? One day you might have a can of Splode in your hand and wind up on the news.
All I'm saying is don't :censored: do it!
Learn to make your own coils, practice, its not hard!
I'm a girl and I make all my coils! And I use mech mods!

Ammonarrow

Oct 3, 2017
Even though it works, it might not one day. Have you ever seen the "Splode" commercial? One day you might have a can of Splode in your hand and wind up on the news.
All I'm saying is don't :censored: do it!
Learn to make your own coils, practice, its not hard!
I'm a girl and I make all my coils! And I use mech mods!
Okay
That's what I wanted to know. Thanks

Btw. The news bunch everyrhing up, so I wont count on em...

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio

Obviously you are new to vaping. Or at least new to mechanical mods and sub-ohm vaping. Swallow some pride and educate yourself before you lose your face (literally).
e-cig-explosion-579580.jpg

ecigexplosion3.jpg

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept.
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.
On this forum, we follow the recommendations of a guy named Mooch. He is a trained engineer who has literally tested hundreds of batteries for their true amp rating. We're extremely lucky to have him on this forum.
18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With

Last edited:

Ammonarrow

Oct 3, 2017
Obviously you are new to vaping. Or at least new to mechanical mods and sub-ohm vaping. Swallow some pride and educate yourself before you lose your face (literally).

Explain it to the Dumb Noob: Ohm's Law Calculations for a Mechanical Mod
  • As simple as it is to use, some people have a tough time grasping the concept.
A Beginner's Guide to Your First Mechanical Mod
  • Covers the differences between a mechanical vs. regulated mod, essential safety accessories, optional safety accessories to add layers of safety to your mech, routine maintanance, use of proper batteries, proper ventilation, low resistance vaping, and faux hybrid mods.
On this forum, we follow the recommendations of a guy named Mooch. He is a trained engineer who has literally tested hundreds of batteries for their true amp rating. We're extremely lucky to have him on this forum.
18650 Battery Ratings -- Picking a Safe Battery to Vape With

I am not new to this, but I am new to Tube Mods at that rating.

Just curious, is there a reason you want to build so low? Plenty of regulated mods and multi-battery mechanical mods out there which would allow you to build lower and stay within your battery's ratings.
Curiosity tbh.

VictorViper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2013
Vancouver
www.thisoldneon.com
Then definitely consider another mod for that purpose. Parallel mechanical mods with 2+ batteries will allow you to build lower due to sharing the load, and with a regulated mod, you just need to make sure you have enough cells to reach your intended wattage.

At a resistance that low, assuming you really do want 200+ watts, you're gonna need to look into quad(!) battery mods, IMO. (Making a broad assumption you want more than a few draws before having to swap batteries)

Ammonarrow

Oct 3, 2017
Then definitely consider another mod for that purpose. Parallel mechanical mods with 2+ batteries will allow you to build lower due to sharing the load, and with a regulated mod, you just need to make sure you have enough cells to reach your intended wattage.

At a resistance that low, assuming you really do want 200+ watts, you're gonna need to look into quad(!) battery mods, IMO. (Making a broad assumption you want more than a few draws before having to swap batteries)
Curiosity for that Tube and that Low Ohm.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Curiosity killed the cat.

Using .08Ω on a single cell mechanical is just flat dangerous to you and those around you.

You use the full charged voltage (4.2v) when calculating amp draw for a mechanical as a 'built in' safety measure.
Considering there is only one safety feature when using a mechanical (the one between the users ears) ignoring or attempting to reason away basic battery safety is unwise.

There are no single 18650 cells that will support .08Ω safely, none, zip, zilch, zero, nada.
4.2v / .08Ω = 52.5a
3v / .08Ω = 37.5a

At that resistance every time you press the fire button you are damaging the cell internally.
As batteries are used & age they lose capacity, the harder they're pushed the faster degradation takes place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread