Batteries loose voltage when idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucas Rong

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2015
Hello all,
My set up is oros v2 with 0.12 ohm build running HB6.

Recently I have noticed that the HB6 would loose voltage when idle sitting inside the mod. And that leaves me wonder if my batteries have gone bad. I would do maybe 4 pulls and then let it sit for about 2 hours and when I come back and check the mod, it would barely fire. So I popped it in into my UM20 charge to check and the battery percentage have suddenly dropped to 30%. Which makes no sense because I left the mod locked and idle the entire time. Anyone have any ideas on whats going on here? Any inputs would be helpful.

P.S.
I have purchased about all 6 HB6 all at the same time from a trusted source. And voltage also drops on other mods if I leave the HB6 in the mod for couple hours.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
I don't have any HB6 but that does sound wrong. Batteries will bleed some voltage over time, but no where near that level. So you've established that the mod is not draining them and I assume all the cells you bought are acting the same. It's possible that they not genuine or that it is a bad batch.
I would get your money back.

Troll from behind

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2012
Finlad
Don't really see how the charger would be to blame, all it can do is to read voltage incorrectly and if the mod does fire the first time cell voltage can't be that low EVEN though with .16 load I would quess the voltage does drop during couple of pulls.
It is easy to check though, measure the time it takes to charge batteries "full".

folkphys

ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
Chapel Hill, NC
2 possibilities come to mind (beyond them being inauthentic or from a bad batch)
A) a warm battery's voltage will sag less than a cool/rested one......so you've tooted off the batteries' freshness, and then you let it rest so it cools down, which in turn raises its internal resistance, which in turn increases the voltage sag until you've drawn enough amps repeatedly through it to warm it back up....at which point, you've likely lost too much 'standing' voltage for that 1500mAh battery to sustain decent amps out to your exceptionally low resistance build.
EDIT: Check out Mooch's tests of the HB6 for evidence of this. The first high amp pulse of a cold HB6 shows a lower voltage than the second pulse. Plus, the HB6 runs cooler in general, which means it can perform better across back-to-to-back toot sessions where your never letting the battery cool down between toots.

OR

B) you've got a drain going on in both your mods......where even if they're 'locked', something touches something else, causing amps to continuously flow.

Last edited:

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
On a fully charged battery (4.2V) a .12ohm coil results in a 35A battery drain. At that rate you'll have less than 2 minutes of use (12 ten second draws, or 24 five second draws) before your battery is down around 3.3V.

In other words there isn't anything wrong at all, other than you're using a build that is far too low in resistance and draining your battery almost instantly because of it.

image-jpg.508573

The orange line is where you are at with your .12ohm coil and a freshly charged battery. You're getting a voltage drop down to 3.4V almost the instant you press the fire button, and only 0.075 Amp Hours (Roughly 4 minutes) of total use before the battery is drained to 3.2V. Even at the nominal 3.7V you're exceeding 30A, pushing the battery to it's very limits and draining it at a phenomenal rate.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread