Status
Not open for further replies.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
How do y'all clean that tiny groove between the thread cylinder and the center contact? I mean, it really is a tight fit.

I found I can use a piece of fine spring steel wire I use at work, and then spray liberally with electrical contact cleaner. But, wondering what anyone else uses to get the gunk out of there.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
Rubbing alcohol is denatured ethanol. I'm guessing isopropyl should do the trick as well and I have access to 99% isopropyl at work. Also, as mentioned in post #1, electrical contact cleaner.

Does the alcohol soaking completely dissolve the gunk? Or, do you then follow up with some other means to remove the loosened gunk?

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
NCC electrical contact cleaner is fine. Just, of course, make sure to let it full evaporate off before use.

I use a small pipe cleaner to clean that area. I use a quilting needle for the holes. I force the gunk into the slot you're referring to from the holes, then "scoop it up" with the pipe-cleaner. The center shaft will flex a bit as you're cleaning. I haven't seen any sign of stress-fracturing from any of mine, so I'm not that concerned about it, given the service life of these batteries.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
They make a kind of "mini pipe cleaner" which works well. I get them by the quidzillion from one of the electronics supply houses, but I imagine a full-sized pipe cleaner will work too.
It's hard to imagine a pipe cleaner fitting into that groove.

I would be interested in where those "mini pipe cleaners" are available. The ones I remember my father using for his pipe would be way too large. TIA

On the other hand, that wire I have at hand on the job works. But, a pipe cleaner might do a better job if one could be had which was tiny enough to do the trick.

Last edited:

Madame X

Mar 10, 2010
So Cal
I actually use a small paperclip or staple - I just unbend them, poke the holes, and then scoop the goop. Does anyone know if it's a good idea or a bad idea to try to stick something down the very very center hole to clean (or try to clean, at least) - am I in danger of damaging the battery when I do that (I'm pretty careful), or is it harmless?

katz-in-boots

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2011
Under Down Under
Are we sure it isn't Halloween?
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
'Sorry Cyrus Vap, if a thread is more than 12 months old, it is definitely considered a zombie around these parts

May I point you in the direction of some of Snowdragon's excellent videos on cleaning batteries - no pipe-cleaners required, mini or otherwise ;) Sorry I don't have the link close to hand, perhaps someone else can help with that?

SnowDragon

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jul 28, 2010
Boise, Idaho
Funny when you look at the replies.....of which #7 & #16 are absolutely correct. Funny how the post seemed to simply dismiss those responses completely. As well, I guess mmcall had only been on the forum for 2 months so she apparently didn't deserve an answer to her question. Mini pipe cleaners indeed.....wow..amazing. I joined the forum about a month after this post, eye-opening isn't it?

I sent a pm to Cyrus Vap...with a link.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread