Battery Cleaning - experiment + results

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
I've been wanting to try a product for cleaning the batteries, but haven't had one live long enough. I finally did.

I've only tried this on Autos, and I'm not certain how it would work with a manual. YMMV.

The active cleaning product used is TOXIC. Dry the battery and let it evaporate. Don't inhale the product. Read the safety instructions. It's TOXIC. Really.

I put about 1/8" or something like 3mm of Tape Head Cleaner Fluid (I used Radio Shack # 44-1113d - no longer available from them, but apparently still available on fleabay) [MSDS here: http://support.radioshack.com/msds/msd44-1113D.pdf] in a glass dappen dish (used commonly for nail extension work - example: Marianna Industries Glass Dappen Dish

I dipped the battery in the dappen dish with the 3mm of cleaner fluid, agitated a little, and keeping it upside down so the fluid wouldn't run inside, I wiped it down with a paper towel.

Nearly instantly dissolved all deposits, even from the air holes. The threads and post were shiny and bright as new. Because no fluid ran inside, it didn't eat through the foil on the battery and cause a fire. Did I mention something about being careful?

I cleaned all the batteries in just a few seconds. Within a few minutes, all odor had evaporated, and I waited another ten minutes for a test-vape. There was a little taste still [yuck] - gone in a few more minutes. So I'd advise waiting an hour if you try this technique.

It has its hazards, but tape head cleaner is made for cleaning cassette recorder heads, so it takes gunk off of electrical contacts like mad.

I haven't researched, but I suspect video tape head cleaner is the same solution, and available even at many grocery stores. The cleaner I used is reportedly: Isopropanol, Ethanol, and Menthanol (2.8%) See the linked MSDS for more info. Try at your own risk. Heck - don't try it. Make sure you understand the risks before not trying it at all. :yawn:

Last edited:

Adrenalynn

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 5, 2009
Sacramento, CA, USA Area
I just use a toothbrush and a capful of rubbing alcohol....works like a charm.

Nod. That's a typical method from what I've seen. The rubbing alcohol isn't as strong a solvent, nor have as low a viscosity, so it doesn't penetrate the crevices and airholes the same way. That's why people reference using a pin or needle to clean the air holes and a pipe-cleaner to clean down in the slot. This dissolves all the gunk basically instantly with no cleaning effort.

Pawpaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
North Texas
I'm not entirely sure that PG would be a good solvent for dried PG. Whether it could dissolve it or not in reasonable time is the question. Maybe warmed a bit?

Put a few drops of juice on some foil, dry it in a warm oven, and give it a shot just to test its effectiveness? :)

Not PG... PGA = Pure Grain Alcohol ;)

I'm sorry. I just ...-u-med you knew that. My bad. :oops:

Pawpaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 5, 2009
North Texas
I'm sorry - I skimmed too quickly - yeah, I should have caught that.

Do you think the viscosity will be low enough to worm its way into something as tight as the air holes?

Dunno. That's why I asked you! ;)

I know it evaporates like a bandit. It's been too long since I used tape head cleaner. I just don't remember if it was much thinner than PGA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread