Battery Safety Regulated Mod

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi, I just bought a vapegeek aegis 100W, a kangertech subtank mini with 0.5ohm coil, and a Ijoy 26650 40amp 4200Mah Battery, is this safe, at the moment I vape at 40W but I wanted it to be safe if I ever go to 100W
Welcome and glad you joined.
I have provided a little more information which might help choosing/evaluating batteries.
Might like to read:
18650 Battery Buying Guide for Vapor Users – Wake and Vape Blog
(9) Battery Basics for Mods; the Ultimate Battery Guide | E-Cigarette Forum
Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum
Battery Safety: Will You Marry Me? - Mt Baker Vapor
A Guide to Safe Charging - The Complete Guide to E-Cig Safety
Vaping 101: Battery Safety

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Yeah you should be good up to 90w with that one, 60w with 20A. Depends a little based on voltage cut off of that mod but it wouldn't be far enough off to worry much. Best tip for batteries is to get used to how warm they are when your ready to take it out to charge after using it. When it starts to get hotter then usual (250-500 charges) replace it or use it with something that uses less watts(amps) for a little longer first.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
100w shouldn't hurt because I'm sure Moochs MVA rating is as least 35A but the 60w per 20A rule of thumb is assuming cut off is 3.2v and mine actually cuts off at 2.85v so without knowing your actual cut off 90w is probably the highest I'd go personally. The iJoy is one of the best though so no worries there.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
Add that as batteries age amps drop as well as mAh. A battery that has lost about 50% mAh loses about 30% CDR so 100w should never be your goal. You'll notice the change in warmth way faster and need to replace batteries long before they really need to be. If you can stay in that 40-50w range your golden, batteries will last a year or more charging them everyday.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Add that as batteries age amps drop as well as mAh. A battery that has lost about 50% mAh loses about 30% CDR so 100w should never be your goal. You'll notice the change in warmth way faster and need to replace batteries long before they really need to be. If you can stay in that 40-50w range your golden, batteries will last a year or more charging them everyday.
I have one doing that slow death right now. It's an Imren that I bought in an emergency on the road in January 2016. My devices are complaining about a weak battery after it reaches about 3.5v.

Can't say I didn't know what I was getting.

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I have one doing that slow death right now. It's an Imren that I bought in an emergency on the road in January 2016. My devices are complaining about a weak battery after it reaches about 3.5v.

Can't say I didn't know what I was getting.
Cut off it just wont fire even 10w... I almost got a kbox 40w because it was $14. Glad I didn't, its cut off is 3.5v... I run mine down to 3v on newer batteries, older ones stop hitting hard with about 2 bars left around 3.4v. Thats a good sign too if your mod reads battery volts or you have a volt meter. How much life they lose overnight after charging is a good sign too. Charge it to 4.2v and when you wake up its 4.1v, not even in the mod.

Coastal Cowboy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
I don't worry so much about 0.1v settling. That can be due to a difference between when the charger thinks the cell is fully charged at 4.2v and sensitivity of the ohm meter in the mod. If the charge continues to drop, then it's time for recycling. The trend is your friend.

Reactions: Tonee N

Gramdogg

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2016
Fredericton NB Canada
I don't worry so much about 0.1v settling. That can be due to a difference between when the charger thinks the cell is fully charged at 4.2v and sensitivity of the ohm meter in the mod. If the charge continues to drop, then it's time for recycling. The trend is your friend.
Yeah I just ment if it actually reads 4.2v and its just a sign its getting old not a warning to replace it. We get power outages here alot in the winter so when mine get old I replace them and store them as my emergency back ups at 3.8v and recycle the old back ups.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread