Moving 18650 between mods...

Status
Not open for further replies.

VaperJack97

Sep 29, 2015
Hi there,

So a while back I bought a Vaporflask Stout (100w I think) and it came with an efest (I know...) 26650 battery. I've been using this with an rda with a regular 0.4ohm dual coil for the past few months now.

Today I went into my local store and bought a Griffin RTA - absolutely fantastic tank, btw. However, the guy at the store built a 0.19ohm dual clapton for me. For a while, I've noticed my battery draining very quickly, only holding charge for about an hour at 50w of power. I've also got a mech mod with an 18650 in it but I've rarely used it.

My question is, can I move the 18650 from my rarely used mech mod into my regulated mod to power my new tank? I'm fairly certain my 26650 battery is dying, so it would be nice to be able to use my 18650 in it rather than have to buy a new battery. Will there be any safety issues with moving the 18650 from a mech mod into a regulated mod? The battery is in good condition and rarely used.

Thank you very much!:)

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Hi there,

So a while back I bought a Vaporflask Stout (100w I think) and it came with an efest (I know...) 26650 battery. I've been using this with an rda with a regular 0.4ohm dual coil for the past few months now.

Today I went into my local store and bought a Griffin RTA - absolutely fantastic tank, btw. However, the guy at the store built a 0.19ohm dual clapton for me. For a while, I've noticed my battery draining very quickly, only holding charge for about an hour at 50w of power. I've also got a mech mod with an 18650 in it but I've rarely used it.

My question is, can I move the 18650 from my rarely used mech mod into my regulated mod to power my new tank? I'm fairly certain my 26650 battery is dying, so it would be nice to be able to use my 18650 in it rather than have to buy a new battery. Will there be any safety issues with moving the 18650 from a mech mod into a regulated mod? The battery is in good condition and rarely used.

May be the 26650 is not what it's represented to be. Lower resistance means more watts are needed to produce a given amount of heat. May be you need to increse the watts. If the resistance was very very very low all the power would flow through the coil and produce almost no heat.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
That guy at the store didn't do you any favors. A 0.2 ohm build will draw 21 amps from a battery.

What 18650 battery were you considering swapping out from your mech? What's the amp limit (CDR)?

The better 26650 batteries have a 20 -- 25 amp continuous discharge rate according to Battery Mooch's bench tests, so you'd be just under the continuous discharge rate of that battery. Unless you were using a true 30 amp 18650 battery, that build would be over the amp limit if used in a mechanical mod.

1.0 ohm = 4.2 amp draw
0.9 ohm = 4.6 amp draw
0.8 ohm = 5.2 amp draw
0.7 ohms = 6 amp draw
0.6 ohms = 7 amp draw
0.5 ohms = 8.4 amp draw
0.4 ohms = 10.5 amp draw
0.3 ohms = 14.0 amp draw
0.2 ohms = 21.0 amp draw
0.1 ohms = 42.0 amp draw
0.0 ohms = dead short = battery goes into thermal runaway

image-jpeg.555235

It's a little bit different for a regulated mod. A different formula is used to determine battery safety.

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod
If using a high wattage regulated mod, use a 20 - 30 amp CDR IMR battery, which ever your mod's manufacturer recommends. The processor's amp limit determines the amp requirement in this application, not the atomizer resistance.

If I were you, I'd take your setup back to the vape shop and insist that they build a higher resistance setup for you. The lower the ohms the higher the drain on the battery, and that 0.19 ohm build is too low. I never recommend a build lower than 0.4 ohm.

Everyone is free to set their own safety parameters, and I can only say what mine are. I try to never exceed 50% of the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of a fully charged battery (4.2v). So with a 20 amp battery, that 50% would be 10 amps continuous -- a 10.5 amp draw from a 0.4 ohm coil.

The reason that I place a 50% limit is because as a battery ages the mAh of the battery degrades, as the mAh degrades so does the batteries c rating (amp limit). So down the road, your 20A battery may only be a 10A battery.

Last edited:

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Hi there,

There won't be any issues. I swap batteries between single 18650 / 26650 mods all the time. Just keep your married batteries together when swapping between mods.

I use the basen black 26650 batteries with my dna75 and sx350jv2 devices. I vape them at 30-35 watts, however, and find that they usually last almost a day.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
Thanks everyone for the comments. Well my mod is regulated and has always been reliable in that respect, so I assume if the ohm's were too low it would inform me? I'ts done it before.

Thanks again.
Yes. If you're ohms too low the mod simply won't fire.

Reactions: Tommy-Chi

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread