Battery weird behavior!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josianneberard

Mar 27, 2016
Hi!

Just received 4 batteries acting pretty funny. When inserted, fully charged, in my Vamo V7 vv/Vw, it shows full, after a few more puffs it's at approx 75% on screen , next it is full, back at 75%, next at 50...25, almost empty, then I get a warning: LOW VOLTAGE. At most, the battery lasted some 20 minutes. I tried a second one, result, same behavior.

The battery has no name but has the Efest logo on it , IMR 18650, 3.7 V LI-MN 2500 mAh high drain rechargeable battery 35A.

They are from China, I took a chance and bought them anyway.

What are the possible causes? The batteries should have been Li-ion instead of LI-MN? Because they are from China?

Can someone explain?

Thanks

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Do you know where bought them from? You might not be able to post links, being a new member, but you can tell us the place you bought them from.
And more than likely, you got re-wrapped cheap, dangerous, junk.
A good place that you can't go wrong with is 18650 Batteries | Rechargeable Li-ion | Battery Chargers

Wayondy

Multiple ID Suspension
Mar 15, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Are these the first batteries you have used i the Vamo, if not did the previous ones work ok? Have you tried all four batteries and do they all perform equally badly? If the answer to both these questions is yes then you have been sold bad batteries. In the meantime buy some Samsung 25R or LG HG2 from a reputable vendor, mark it down to experience and don't buy any Efest batteries again especially from dubious sources.
If these are the first batteries you have tried in the Vamo, then the mod may be at fault.

Susan~S

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Mpls/St.Paul, MN
+1 to what @sonicbomb wrote.

Though Efests would be one of the last batteries that I would purchase. Efest (the manufacturer) is notorious for misrepresenting their batteries' true specifications, and they advertise specs much higher than their true specs when compared to independent bench testing.

Here's a great blog post by @Baditude (one of ECF's battery/safety experts).

Purple Efest Batteries: Not As Advertised

There are only a few battery manufacturers in the world who make their own "cells", including LG, Samsung, Sony, Panasonic & Sanyo.

All the other brands on the market buy the second and third tier cells from those manufacturers and re-wrap them under their own brand. These are "second and/or third tier cells" which did not meet the higher standards of the original manufacturer. In order to compete with the original manufacturers' batteries (first tier), these other companies feel obligated to publish specifications which are inflated to make them appear superior to those of the original manufacturer.

* (AW is Andrew Wan, a former Panasonic employee who branched out to create his own "brand" of batteries. He allegedly has agreements with the major cell manufacturers to purchase first tier batteries from them. Not all batteries are created equal, so AW tests these batteries for quality. The best get chosen to be AW brand, and are re-wrapped as AW.)

Do your research before you buy. Decide what battery to buy depending upon the application that you will use them. Even if you are using a regulated mod you need to be concerned about the CDR (continuous discharge rating) of the battery you use. The mod will protect itself but it has no idea if the battery is being stressed too hard or not. And a battery being stressed too hard will have a shortened life and, if stressed hard enough, can vent or worse. You must still select a battery that can handle the current the mod draws without overheating.
The batteries should have been Li-ion instead of LI-MN?
Some reading for you explaining it by @Baditude.
#9. Battery Basics for Mods: The Definitive Battery Guide for Vaping
  • A popular and essential read to understand which batteries are safe to use in mechanical and regulated mods. Includes a frequently updated list of recommended safe-chemistry, high-drain batteries with their specifications.
=> Battery Chemistry FINALLY Explained

Last edited:
Reactions: Baditude
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread