Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
So I just bought a HOG V3 and I run HB6's in my series and parallel mechs now but I want something that's going to hit hard (I know depending on build) and have a good run life in the mod (I know the HOG is a para-series mod so will run like a parallel and series mod). I have 30Q's in my regulated mods but I'm looking to get another set of cells just for the HOG. Can anyone give me their opinion on what cells they recommend for the HOG. If anybody out there that owns a HOG , let me know what your running and why that cell vs others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
2S2P device, 4 cells. Big pack, you won't have to trade off too much power output for some extra runtime.
If you can do with, I'd say, up to ≈300W of raw power output, cells like LG HD2Cs and or Sony VTC5As would do fine.
Average power at the coil depends on the actual voltage reaching it, which is:
P = V × I = V² / R = V² / (Rcoil + Rdevice + Rbatt), where Rdevice represents overall contact losses in the device and Rbatt is, in this case, tantamount to the internal resistance of a single cell (2S2P). If you vape in a more or less set out/constant power envelope, you can figure out your typical coil voltages with ease by taking a look at Mooch's discharge curves (I = V / R) and averaging the curve voltage value down to where you usually cut-off (may be significantly lower than the usual 3.6/3.7V cell nominal values). Example: for an estimated average of 3.3V/cell, you may get (2S) close to twice that amount at the coil (above 200W typical for 0.2Ω).
If that thing has no circuitry at all, you may want to carry a small voltmeter with you for checking out the battery pack… oops, sorry, you may already know that. ;)
Doing it with style:
After all, an analog voltmeter is what should go with a mech. :cool:

Cheers
respeto.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: petrotech

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
lol you kind of lost me there my friend. If you don't mind, explain that in laymans terms.

I was leaning towards the VTC5a cells. I would probably be vaping around a 0.2ish resistance.

I would probably end up getting an inline analog volt meter. I've been wanting one for a while just never think about it when I'm placing an order with a company that has them. I'll go ahead and go to a site I use and add it to my cart now so when I get ready to place another order it will be there waiting on me.

Thanks for taking the time to explain all that and I'm sorry I got lost in reading it but I got lost.

Reactions: petrotech

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
I understand. Don't worry. In a little briefing:

2S2P is the cell configuration of your mech, with 2 in series sections (2S) of 2 cells in parallel (2P). Resistance adds in series and lessens in parallel so, in this case:

Rbatt = 2 × (Rcell / 2)

Coil, battery and overall device resistances (battery contacts, switch, etc) are all in game. Preferably keep contacts clean and batteries tight fastened.

P is power (watts), a combination of voltage times amperage. You can think of it like torque and rpm. In this case, a 2S2P pack can deliver both twice the voltage and the amperage, for 4x power output. P = V × I (volts per amps, Electric power - Wikipedia).
By Ohms' law:

I = V / R, thus P = V × (V / R) = V² / R
V = I × R, thus P = (I × R) × I = I² × R

The coil is our circuit's “load”. All of the voltage drops in the circuit, each part/component having a share proportional to its resistance. Because of this, we should aim to minimize all other resistances besides the coil's one for efficient performance.
sherlock.gif

V = I × R = I × (Rbatt + Rmod + Rcoil)
The bigger is Rcoil with respect to Rbatt + Rmod, the more efficient the power transfer. That's why you need a good mod plus good batteries to drive a low resistance coil hard without risks.

If, for example, we estimate our Rbatt to be ≈25mΩ and Rmod about ≈10mΩ, means our Rtotal is ≈235mΩ (Rbatt + Rmod + Rcoil). The coil's voltage share is equal to Rcoil / Rtotal (200 / 235), ≈85.11% in this case. Summarizing:

Rtotal = Rbatt + Rmod + Rcoil
Vcoil = I × Rcoil = (V / Rtotal) × Rcoil = V × (Rcoil / Rtotal)

Pcoil = Vcoil² / Rcoil
If, for example, our battery is at ≈7.7V (≈3.85V/cell with no load), estimated power at the coil:

Pcoil = (7.7V × (200 / 235))² / 0.2Ω = ≈214.72W

Remember, this is just an example. It may come close to your actual figures. :)

Cheers :pop:

Wheelin247

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2013
Lakeland, Fl. USA
I appreciate that. I understand a lot more than I did. Would it be a good thing to do to take the contacts and sand them down with 220 grit to 360 grit sandpaper in order to make a better connection? I do that to my fully mech boxes.

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Of course, a nice cleaning and/or polishing over the contacts helps.
Maximizing contact surface helps to minimize resistance, along with keeping the cells tight fastened over their terminals. Pay good attention to this and any other possible sources of stray resistances, as the toll they take can become quite big with ease in your high amp devices.
roto2cafe.gif

:2c:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread