• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Best e-cig UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
If you don't want to get ripped off - please read this.

How much do you trust the internet when you run a search?

There are three types of website that you will be offered if you search with a combination of words "UK" + "e-cig" (+"best") ("#1") etc.

One type pay to be there, STORES (Vendors) - they are probably genuine stores, so you can make up your own mind. Some are good, some are less good. You can always ask.

The other type is BRANDS - most of these should be avoided.

The last type is REVIEW websites. The review sites are not to be trusted. Why? because the review sites are not independent, not offering genuine advice and set up to take your money on sub-standard, grossly overpriced products, mostly (but not always) of the "cigarette style" type.
- - -

Q 1. So, how do i tell the difference between a store and a brand?

A store will be selling a variety of products made by a selection of manufacturers. You will be able to compare prices by RE-searching a specific product.
e.g. a store is offering you a tank called "Kanger Aerotank" or "Aspire mini nautilus" You can re-search this and get hundreds of shops in under 1 second.
A brand will only sell hardware with their own branding on. If you RE-search that product, you will return time and time again to only one or two shops.

The difference is at a brand store, you will not know who made the hardware. They hide the fact they sell the same hardware as everywhere else, except for the price they charge. You could easily pay £100 for a £30 product.

Q 2. Are there some genuine review sites?

Yes, of course, but you will not find them easily.... in fact, less than 5% of review sites are legitimate. They are all intended to make money for the people who run them, or in some cases, they are actually run by the company listed as the "best e-cig" on the star charts. These sites encourage new people to spend at the brand which offers the highest commission. In turn, these companies charge more and more money to keep the charade going.

Q 3. What if I'm confused and don't know if I am looking at/reading is genuine?

Ask on a forum.. :)

There are many forums all around the world. This is the biggest and the most far-reaching, but there are others.

Reactions: scottish-jim

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Excellent post djsvapour :thumbs:

The affiliated review sites have also been one of my biggest bugbears :mad:

Thanks. :)

There has been a recent escalation in fake review sites. I know where this is coming from and so do other people in the legitimate vaping community.
If there is a correlation between increased fake sites and potential bans in Europe (2016) and America, is is hard to say. I suspect yes.

Bottom line though is that the internet is no longer reliable. Fake review sites are much more convincing these days. Previously, they would tend to promote one brand and that was clear as day. Now they promote multiple brands with reassuring comments about being genuine and trustworthy.

Some of these fakers also confetti their websites with genuine and honest reviews about quality and fairly-priced "niche" products. So, on the one hand they will review a high quality e-liquid brand that is currently popular and with the other hand, they will make the suggestion that a $40 e-cig priced at $199.99 is a good buy.

This has nothing to do with youtube by the way. That is a different environment. The real reviewers on youtube (paid or unpaid) will suggest products but rarely specifically where to buy them. Sure, they may have been sent them by "ABC Vapors" of Lancashire or Florida or New South Wales, but you can search where else you can choose to shop. If there is nowhere else to shop... then that should in itself raise some questions.

This post is not a dig at youtube reviews, not at all. Some of them may well be "professional" these days, but that in itself is not a guarantee of having sold out to a particular brand.

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
Great post, djsvapour! Perhaps it should be stickied?

I'm wondering if this is worse in the UK than in the US - most of the New Members who come here having purchased some piece of utter garbage seem to be from the UK, at least it seems like that to me. (On the other hand, outrageous prices at some B+M's seems to be universal!). JMHO, but it seems that way to me.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales

Shirtbloke

ECF Veteran
Apr 26, 2014
UK
Yes external links always help to get it up the rankings, and from as good a site as possible - not link farms.
Ideally the sites linked from should have a Google pagerank as high as possible.
Both AAEC and UKV have a pagerank of 3/10 - which is not as high as I would have expected - this site has a pagerank of 5.
You can check pagerank here.......
PageRank Checker - Instantly Check Google PageRank!

Chrissie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member

dw117

ECF Veteran
Jul 10, 2014
Kernow
Good informative post, best approach in my opinion is to ask on forums here and elsewhere.

Here on the UK sub forum we get plenty of new threads asking where is a good place to buy x or y and I don't think any of us mind giving the same recommendations again and again. Better than those new guys buying something rubbish or buying something good at 1.5x the price.

+ 1 also on the trusted vendors list. Worth noting that some other forums have things similar to but maybe not exactly this if you're reading this and one hasn't appeared here yet. Better to ask if unsure though.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
I don't know you know !. I don't know if i'm the same as everyone else or just do my own thing. I don't go to youtube for reviews and i don't do random searches for sites. If i want to learn something then i'll go to a forum like ECF. That's what needs to be on youtube, reviews about ECF. That would open peoples eyes. Members of ecf talking about the stuff they heard about on ecf, went out and bought, where they bought it from, all on a review on youtube. Too many reviewers reviewing too many products. Honestly, the only time i "might" skip through a quick review on youtube is when i want a basic understanding of how to do a decent build on a particular RTA. Or just to take a closer look at an RBA deck on an RTA, which i don't usually need to do because i can find plenty of pictures just by googling the name of the item i'm looking for. "zephyrus pictures" for example.

So the answer is to start uploading your own basic views on hardware or e liquid you found out about on "ECF", Include "ECF" in the title, mention "ECF" a lot in the video, and just basically tell people to visit "ECF".

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Not sure if anyone working at ECF does reviews on youtube about ECF. If they don't then they should start thinking about it. The more time that goes by the more content could be uploaded. So anytime someone googles anything ecig related or searches youtube they find plenty of stuff all connected to ECF. Can't get anymore reliable than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread