Black copper Stingray paint removal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ms82082

Verified Member
Just wanted to share my experiment with everyone today. I took my black hcigar copper Stingray and removed the crappy chipping paint. Boiled copper tubes then pulled them out holding with a towel and scraped the paint off with a guitar pick. Then simply polished with brasso polish and here are the results [emoji2] so much nicer now
uploadfromtaptalk1408920570787.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1408920579936.jpg

IonMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
Bradley, Illinois, United States
Going to do this later today using either nail polish remover or paint thinner depending on what I can find @ the shop here at work. Ill post the results later

Edit:
Googled how to strip paint from copper, and realized both of those are stupid ideas :facepalm: will be boiling mine when it comes time, will probably grab a SS tohb, copper tip, and hybrid kit first though & make it super sexy

Last edited:

IonMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
Just wanted to share my experiment with everyone today. I took my black hcigar copper Stingray and removed the crappy chipping paint. Boiled copper tubes then pulled them out holding with a towel and scraped the paint off with a guitar pick. Then simply polished with brasso polish and here are the results [emoji2] so much nicer now
View attachment 367817 View attachment 367818
Ms82082 how long did you boil yours for?

readmylips

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Going to do this later today using either nail polish remover or paint thinner depending on what I can find @ the shop here at work. Ill post the results later

Edit:
Googled how to strip paint from copper, and realized both of those are stupid ideas :facepalm: will be boiling mine when it comes time, will probably grab a SS tohb, copper tip, and hybrid kit first though & make it super sexy

Why is it a stupid idea?

RML

I used a dremel and wire wheel attachments then went back and polished it with the buffing wheels and compound in my dremel kit. I'm letting it hand patina now. Here's what it looked like when I was finished with polishing

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1413339012996.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1413339012996.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: Derek Cross

IonMan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2014
I used a dremel and wire wheel attachments then went back and polished it with the buffing wheels and compound in my dremel kit. I'm letting it hand patina now. Here's what it looked like when I was finished with polishing
Very very nice. Congrats

Sent from my fantabulous & useless Note II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread