Nagual Studio - Mod Painting, Sculptural Mod Styling, Airbrushing, Flocking, Luminophore

Status
Not open for further replies.

akchena

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 26, 2016
Russia, Samara
%E4%EB%FF%F2%E5%EC%FB%E5%F1%E8%E3.jpg

Hi everyone! :)
My name is Ann, I'm an artist from Russia, and I want to offer you my mod styling services.

I've been drawing since I was a child; I'm a designer by profession and a freelance artist by vocation. :) Sculptural modeling and painting on different things have always had a special place in my art practice.

I became a member of the vaping community a while back, and one day I thought that the mods and sticks I was using looked too featureless. I wanted my devices to become more vivid, lively and unique. So I took my mechanical mod and painted it with acrylics. :) I liked the result and decided to continue with some other mods and sticks, but then realized that it's not so interesting to work with a factory-made device. It would be much better if I had something unique, hand-made exclusively for my work.

Soon I found a modder creating e-cigarettes and living in my city, and so our collaboration began. He creates mods and sticks, and I make sculptures of them or paint on them whatever I want. :)

The basic principle of my working process is that I make up all forms, images and subjects myself, trying to make each of my works unique, realistic, emotional and lifelike.

I also take commissions
. I can help you translate your own ideas and visions into reality. I paint or model vaping devices and other e-cig related stuff, turning them into almost anything you want.

So far I've been working with people within the Russian vaping community, this is the first time I go international, and I'm very glad I can offer you my works and my skills! :)

You'll find the basic information on what and how you can purchase in the FAQ section below.

If you still have any questions, feel free to PM or e-mail me or leave a message in this thread, I'll answer you as fully and quickly as I can. :)

My e-mail is: lakrinie@gmail.com

Don’t worry if I don’t answer immediately, I can sometimes be offline for a day or two.

As a rule, I answer all the messages within 1-3 days.

For now, I work with the following media:

• Acrylic colors (painting with brushes)
  • Aerography (painting with airbrush)
  • Sculptural modeling (turning an object into a sculpture or making a bas-relief on its surface)

I can also diversify my works using luminophore (makes an object glow in the dark) or flock (many small fiber particles covering a surface).

The easiest way to get the idea of what I do is to scroll down this thread and look at the photos.

Everything I offer is entirely handmade
– all priming, painting and varnishing is done with brush only. I may seldom use airbrush as well, e.g. while painting smooth color transition in the background, but as a rule I try to do without it, since airbrush isn't very convenient for painting something small and detailed. I use safe and wearproof acrylic colors and varnishes only.

FAQ

General Questions.

1. So, what can I purchase here?

There are 3 primary options:
A. You can buy a ready-made mod (see section A for more info).
B. You can commission me to design and create a sculptured mod with my hardware base for you (see section B for more info).
C. I can paint something on your own device or turn it into a sculpture (see section C for more info).

2. How much does a mod/a commission cost?

The prices of ready-made mods (option A) are mentioned in their descriptions (shipping included).

As for commissions (options B & C), the price of painting or sculpture modeling is calculated individually in every case. It depends on the difficulty of work.

As a rule, it starts from 200$ (for not a very complex painting).

Painting + sculpting is obviously more expensive than just painting.

The price of your commission will be discussed via PM or e-mail system only.

Send me a PM or an e-mail with your ideas, I’ll estimate the cost of the work and tell you the price.

3. What methods of payment do you accept?

PayPal only
; use the “Goods and Services” option.
Make sure your shipping address in Paypal is valid.
If it’s not, don’t forget to send me a valid address in a PM or via e-mail.
In case of partial prepayment please choose the “No address needed” option!

4. What materials and media do you use? Are they good enough?

I take my job very seriously and with a delicate attitude. I use the best acrylic colors, varnishes and primers I can find as I think that one shouldn’t save on materials. Moreover, the amount of paint-and-lacquer materials expended for mod painting or sculpting is not so great, most of the price I ask for my works is paid for time and effort I put into them.

I choose the paint-and-lacquer materials according to the following criteria: they must be wearproof and safe for health of both the artist and the end-user, and also should convey nice tactile sensation.

I use primer adapted for the application to metals and plastic. This ensures excellent cohesion between primer and any metal or plastic surface. I degrease and abrade the surface thoroughly before priming.

The acrylic colors I use for painting are safe, odorless and wearproof. They don’t fade with time.

When the work is ready, I cover it with acrylic varnish. It has a glossy, almost mirror-like luster; it doesn’t turn yellow with time and is very pleasant to touch (it’s not slippery as it may seem judging by its look).

But, despite all this, please bear in mind that deliberate testing of the durability of painted or sculptured devices is not the best idea, and if your mod travels in the bag where a bunch of keys is kept, if it constantly falls on the floor, contacts with sharp objects and is being cleaned with abrasive agents, it will quickly lose its attractive appearance.

5. Warranty

I give a standard one-year warranty on my works, but if you take good care of painted or sculptured items, you can increase their life for many long years. All the mods and other things I made for myself are still looking as if they were made just yesterday.

I never disregard my customers’ complaints, so if something’s wrong with the material or painting of the item under warranty, tell me, and I’ll fix it for free (I’ll also pay for shipping from you to me and back, but the choice of the way of delivery in this case is mine).

None of my customers availed themselves of the warranty so far, I think it means that my choice of the paint-and-lacquer materials is right and my time and efforts are spent to good purpose. :)

But if you damage the item mechanically (for example, by dropping or scratching it with something sharp), the warranty will be void. Of course I can still restore my work for you, just show me the photos of the damage, and we’ll discuss the price. Depending on the damage, it will most likely cost you from 3% to 50% of the price of the initial painting/sculpting plus the delivery from you to me and back.

Please keep in mind one more thing.
All the works are handmade, not factory-made, which means the painting or sculpting is not 100% perfect. If you examine an item closely, sometimes you may find some slight brushmarks etc. I do my best to make my works look nice, neat and unique, and try to show all their features on photos, so their slight “imperfection” can’t be considered as a serious flaw.

A. Ready-made mods FAQ

A1. Where can I see the ready-made mods available? How do I buy them?

I'm constantly inventing and creating something new. Some of my works are for sale.
Their prices, descriptions and photos are displayed in this thread.
I'll keep the information about these items up-to-date.
Scroll the thread down to find the descriptions and photos, or check the advertising thread for the latest news.

If you want to buy some of my ready-made works, send me a PM or an e-mail with your shipping address. Don’t forget to mention what item you’re going to purchase! :) If you have any questions or comments, feel free to ask them as well. In the reply I’ll send you the info on the PayPal payment. The ready-made mods will be shipped within 1-3 business days after the payment is successfully made. I’ll send you a message with the tracking number.

A2. What are the specifications of the ready-made mods?

The exact specifications
for each ready-made mod are displayed in their descriptions below in this thread and in the advertising thread.

As a rule, these mods are made on the basis of custom mechanical mods created by Vladimir, a modder from my city. His mech mods, squonk mods and sticks are made of AISI 304 stainless steel, the battery form factors can vary: 1*18350, 1*18650, 2*18650, 1*26650 etc. All the devices are engineered, adjusted and handmade by a single person. All the items are being tested for several days before selling.

The frames of these base-mods are collapsible: there are two removable panels providing an easy access to the battery and atomizer compartments. These panels can be insertable or folding. You need to apply slight pressure to set the panels in their place. Do not try to unbend the panels!

The following video illustrates this structural feature (the panels of this base-mod are insertable):

The mods have a movable atomizer platform (a metal plate with 510 connector). Its position can be adjusted with the help of two screws in the battery compartment. Unfasten the screws to adjust the platform position and then tap them to fix it. This movable platform allows you to install atomizer – of almost any height – in such a way that its upper part is at the same level as the upper side of the mod.

The next video shows this procedure (this frame has folding panels):

The movable atomizer platform can also help you partly or completely hide your atomizer in these devices, which is an ideal solution for stealth vaping.

Here’s another video demonstrating the process of this adjustment (it’s a ready-made item with insertable panels):

We’re also planning to create regulated mods in the future
, so the range of base-mods isn’t going to be confined to the mech mods only. The news and updates about regulated mods will be posted later in this thread.

Obviously, the basic information below concerns mech mods only.

These base mech mods are powered by flat-topped batteries. However, the versions for button-topped batteries are also realizable as a custom order (see question B2 for the details).
Experience shows that the height of the batteries from different manufacturers can range from 0.5 to 0.7 mm. To ensure a good contact, in some cases it may be necessary to adjust the contact plate by bending it. The plate should be adjusted in such a way that the battery can be installed without applying serious pressure, but at the same time it should be securely seated in the compartment. If your battery is held too loosely in the compartment, you should bend the contact plate up holding it from both sides (otherwise you can tear the plate away).
The positive contact plate is a metal platform with a bent positive terminal cutout in it. The plate is glued to the frame with an insulator between them (transformer fabric or vinyl film).
The construction of the devices has some spots where the positive contact plate is located close to the frame. Please prevent any conductive sweepings or other things from getting into the battery compartment! Also pay attention to the batteries you use: if the battery coating is damaged, don’t use it!

The polarity should also be correct. The negative side of the battery should always be on the firing button end. So if the button is on the upper side of the mod, the positive side of the battery should be facing down, and if the mod has a bottom side button (built into the removable panel), then positive side should be facing up.
The negative contact plate of the mods with the upper firing button is also insulated by a transformer fabric or vinyl film, so reversing polarity in such mods is possible but still undesirable. It will be constantly powering the coil even if you don’t press the firing button.

The construction of the devices with the bottom side firing button includes a MOSFET transistor. However, the button itself is mechanical; it is built into the removable panel, so it’s impossible to vape with the panel removed, and it’s very unlikely that you accidentally press the button while inserting the panel. Unlike most buttons on other devices, it doesn’t click distinctly when you press it, it may seem unusual at first.

Advantages and disadvantages of the base mech mods:

+ Durability, reliability and simplicity

+ Compact size & usability

+ Operating convenience

+ Low voltage drop

+- The mechanical button seems unusual at first (doesn’t click distinctly when you press)

- The 510 connector is unadjustable (for now; in the future adjustable connectors will be used instead)

Any device won’t work properly and its life won’t last long if you misuse it. These mods are also not aimed to be used as a hammer, bottle-opener etc.

Attention!
Mech mods are for experienced users only. If you’re unsure how to use them, please don’t buy them immediately, read about this type of devices first. Neither me, nor the modder are responsible for the results of the improper handling of the mech mods.

The modder has been creating mech mods for years, his technology is worked out and the feedback of the customers is solely positive, so if you use these devices competently and carefully, it will serve you for many years.

A3. Do you sell these base mods as is, without your painting/sculpting?

No. Firstly, since they’re made not by me, I don’t have any rights to resell them as is; and secondly, the base-mods I use for my ready-made mods are created specifically for my further working on them.

B. Custom designed mod commissions FAQ

B1. What is it?

This option is for those who want me to make a custom sculptured mod with your design and my hardware base (see question A2 for the detailed info about the base). The cost of this hardware base will be included in the price. For now, due to the peculiarities of the base-mods I use, I can’t do just painting on them, only sculpting + painting.

B2. How do I choose the specifications of my mod?

First of all, I usually have several base-mods in stock for my future works, I’ll give you the list of their exact specifications, and you’ll be able to choose the one you like.

Besides, you may order a custom base-mod. Not every idea is possible, but don’t hesitate to tell me what you’d like to get, I’ll talk it over with the modder and come back to you with the answer. But keep in mind that in this case its creation can sometimes take quite a time (up to several months). The working progress of the modder creating base-mods for me is completely independent, and I’ll be able to tell you only provisional terms.

For now, I have only mechanical mods in stock, but
the creation of custom regulated mod is also possible, send me a PM with your wishes and ideas, and I’ll tell you if Vladimir and I can realize them.

B3. How do we agree on the design of the mod?

There are several options, as well.

1. If you have a certain idea, e.g. you can show me a picture of what you want me to sculpt or describe the image you’ve got in your head, send them to me via PM or e-mail. The more detailed your description is, the better. Using your pictures or descriptions as references, I draw a raw sketch of the future item and show it to you. I can make sketches in traditional media (pencils or brushes) or digitally, in Photoshop. I also tell you an approximate price and the terms of the work at once. After the discussion of the sketch (if you don't like something about the design, on this stage I can make major changes and corrections) and the agreement on the final price and the terms and deadlines, I start my work.

If you give me the exact picture
of what I should paint or sculpt, please keep in mind that I won’t make a 100% copy. My own style and technique is always traced in my works, and I reserve the right to change some minor details of the source image.

2. If you’re not sure what exactly you want to get, but still want to have something exclusive that suits your taste, I will be glad to invent something for you using my own imagination! :) In this case I need the information about your likings (what colors, tones, images and topics please your eyes), some visual examples (pictures, photos you really like) would also be very useful, or your vague ideas of what you want to see. Together we will try to draw a good concept for you and then make it a reality!

Before drawing the sketches, I usually take a 100$ prepayment
as a guarantee that if a customer changes his mind, my time and effort are not for nothing. Later on, I’ll subtract this sum from the final price of the order.

If you change your mind and decide not to commission me after I’ve started working on the sketches, I keep the prepayment, as a payment for the time I’ve spent on the work with you.

If you give me the exact picture of what I should paint or sculpt and there’s no need to make sketches and talk the design over, no prepayment is required. I may also ask for a small prepayment if I don’t have some of the materials necessary for a certain work and I have to buy them first.

B4. How do we work after the design is confirmed?

Before starting a real work with the device, I take a 50% prepayment. Almost anything done to a real mod can’t be undone, and I need a guarantee that I won’t waste my hardware and materials for nothing. Please choose the “No address needed” option in case of prepayment!

During the work, I can make WIP photos and show you the process of the creation of your item. Please, tell me in advance if you want to see them.

After I finish sculpting and painting and before I start varnishing, I send you the photos of the result. At this stage you can still ask me to make some minor changes and additions. After varnishing it will be impossible. When everything’s done, we should wait for varnish to dry up. There’re usually several layers of varnish, and each of them needs a day to dry up, so the whole process takes several days.

After that, the work is ready. I send you a message and wait for the rest of your payment. Please don’t forget to choose a valid shipping address in Paypal or tell me if the address is different via PM or email!

The item will be shipped within 1-3 business days after the payment is received.
I’ll send you a message with the tracking number.

If a customer
changes his mind and doesn’t want to buy the item that is in process or already finished, I do not return the prepayment and reserve the right to finish it and sell the device as a ready-made mod in case it’s possible (for example, if the design doesn’t contain something purely personal, e.g. personal portraits etc.).

I can also use the photos of any items I create for promotional purposes (as examples of my works, in portfolios etc). If you don’t want the images of your commission to be shown publicly, please let me know in advance, and I won’t display them anywhere.

B5. How long does the work & delivery take?

Terms, just as price, are calculated individually. They depend on my current workload and on the complexity of a certain order. The timeframe of my work can vary from 1 to 9 weeks.

Shipping may also take time up to 6 weeks.
Express shipping (about 1 week) at an extra cost is also possible.

If you need your item finished and received by a specific date, let me know at once
, and I’ll tell you if I can do everything in time.

B6. What packaging do you use for shipping your goods?

For now I don’t have any branding package. I use beautiful gift cartons filled with protective material. This carton is packed into a standard post packaging.

In the future I plan to use wooden boxes with “Nagual Studio” label.

C. Your own devices designing commissions FAQ

C1. What devices/other things can be painted/sculpted?

Practically anything
, actually!
A mod, a stick, a tube mod, a mod case, a removable panel etc. etc. can be painted and not only painted :)

If you have any ideas and questions, just let me know, I’ll tell you if I can realize them.

I can paint or sculpt any mod, but it’s better if its frame is collapsible.
In this case I can easily work with the frame without touching the inner hardware part. If the body of your mod is solid, I can still work with it, but when I see its photos I’ll evaluate the possible risks and we’ll discuss them.

Another thing I need to know is the material
the frame of your device is made of (brass, copper, stainless steel, wood (what kind?) etc.).

C2. How do we agree on the design of the mod?

The process is the same as in option B, see question B3.

The difference is that I also need some photos of your device. They can be taken by you, or you can give me some links to promotional pictures in the web. If you have an exact image you want me to paint on your device, I can make a preview picture in Photoshop demonstrating the final look of your painted item (but, as I mentioned before, the final result won’t necessary be an exact copy of the source image, there may be some minor changes).

C3. How long does the work & delivery take?

See question B4.

C4. How do we deliver the item I want you to paint from me to you and back?

- If you already own the item, I can give you my address so you can send it to me yourself. Please don’t forget to send me the tracking number.

- If you’re going to buy a device in an online or offline-shop, you can order it to my address.

- If, for any reason, you can’t order the device, I can do it myself. In this case I’ll ask you to transfer the money (including the shipping price) to my PayPal account in advance.

As soon as I receive your item, I’ll inform you and start working

Last edited by a moderator:

akchena

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 26, 2016
Russia, Samara
15.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

And here is some feedback from the customers.
I’ve attached some screenshots in Russian and given the translation below.

photo_2016-10-01_18-10-00.jpg

SAMbooca: As I’ve already said before: if you want your device to be something more than just a device… Ann and Vladimir, thank you both for the work you’ve done! Now my Sharik has a reliable friend, and wouldn’t part with them both for anything! The mech mod fits comfortably in your hand, it gives such a warm and cozy feeling. I don’t know how to describe my feelings and just want to say: keep it up! …And I’m just puzzled how one can paint manually in such detail.

photo_2016-10-01_18-10-25.jpg

serega163: Thank you, Ann! I love your painting :) The varnish is pleasant to touch! I particularly like the way the tube turned out. I’m just sitting and gazing upon your lovely work. Thanks again!

photo_2016-10-01_18-10-30.jpg

Pikaso: The mech mod is just perfect, both from the visual and technical aspects. It fires excellently and very tastefully! Fits in the hand perfectly. The button is quite unusual, it’s very smooth, as if it was touch sensitive.

P.S. I always try to improve the quality of my works, so I would be also glad to get a feedback – both positive and negative – from my future customers. If you order something from me, fell free to leave your impressions, reviews and photos here or anywhere else, I’ll read them with pleasure and take your opinions into account.

P. P. S. I’m planning to expand the range of the vaping stuff I create in the nearest future. There are some ideas concerning for example various vaping accessories. So if you’re interested, keep an eye on this thread :)

Last edited:
Reactions: The.Drifter

akchena

Unregistered Supplier
Aug 26, 2016
Russia, Samara
Ready-made mods for sale.

Here’re several mods Vladimir and I made recently. They are 100% ready and tested, and you can buy them immediately. Obviously, there’s only one copy of each mod. Every item can be used both as a vaping device or as a decorative figurine, an exclusive gift etc.

The following updates of the goods in this category
– i.e. announcements that something is sold or something new is in stock – will be posted below in this thread, as well as in the advertising thread.

Such updates won’t be too frequent though, since it takes time to invent a new design and make the idea come true.

1. & 2. The Hamster and the Toad

Everyone has met these animals at least once in a lifetime. The Hamster impersonates the insatiable desire to buy something new again and again that constantly haunts some of us. The Toad symbolizes the balancing force that tries to keep us from hasty and thoughtless purchasing. In Russian vaping community these animals have become recognizable mascots often used as symbols of these opposing forces. Sometimes they shove us into wrong paths, but we vapers love them anyway and forgive them their tricks. :).
C:\Users\KRIST_~1\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif

Please welcome the Hamster and the Toad:

1.%E7%ED%E0%EA%EE%EC%F2%E5%F1%FC.jpg

Here they go for a walk:

2.%ED%E0%EF%F0%EE%E3%F3%EB%EA%F3.jpg

The Hamster always thinks what else he could stock up on. It seems that this concentrated and thoughtful expression never leaves his muzzle. As for the Toad… The Toad never has any problems, she is self-confident, slightly arrogant and always in a good mood.

3.%F5%EE%EC%FF%EA%E4%F3%EC%E0%E5%F2.jpg

The Toad whispers something in the Hamster’s ear. She is for sure trying to talk him out of wasting money for nothing and persuading him to buy something useful instead.

4%E0.jpg

The Toad is enjoying the lovely stroll while the Hamster tries to think upon her words and understand what she meant.

5.%EF%EE%EA%E0%E6%E0%E1%E0%ED%E0%F1%EB%E0%E6%E4%E0%E5%F2%F1%FF.jpg

They are really a unique couple, each of them has a memorable appearance and personality.

The Hamster is always busy and ready to stock up on any kind of stuff he thinks he would need. At the same time, he is very good-natured and cute. :)

6.%EF%E0%F0%E0%F3%ED%E8%EA%E0%EB%FC%ED%E0%FF.jpg

The Toad is a dame who knows her mind, she is rather strict and always ready to protect her interests. Now she seems pretty pleased with herself and feels really comfortable.

7.%E6%E0%E1%E0%F1%E5%E1%E5%ED%E0%F3%EC%E5.jpg

A few more photos of the outward appearance and the internal device.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

As you’ve already noticed, these sticks are suited to stealth vaping as well :) You can partly or completely hide your atomizer in these devices.

Although they are introduced as a “couple”, the Hamster and the Toad are surely sold separately.

The specifications
of the devices are the following:

The Hamster

- The handmade mechanical mod-stick made of AISI 304 stainless steel.