Bottom Switches: the good, the bad and the ugly...

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokindeuce

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2008
UK
www.smokejuice.co.uk
Taken from latest moju blog post....

Electronic cigarette mods now come with switches pretty much in every place imaginable, top side, bottom side, mouthpiece activated, bottom mounted and added to that various formats such as touch, locking, electronic, mechanical…. I’m getting dizzy just thinking about all of the options! So rather than tell you which is the right one for you, I’m going to give you the lowdown on the bottom mounted switch (Mako, Don).

Well, to begin with there are many advantages of the bottom mounted switch and I’ll try to cover some negatives later too.

The biggest irrational fear obstacle people seem to have with bottom mounted switches is ‘will I be able to use it’… somehow they can’t envisage how their dexterous fingers will be able to figure out a way of getting their fix…. come on! Somehow, to many, the flashlight friendly side mounted switch is the easy (familiar) option…. but the bottom mounted switch is so much more than this.

The bottom mounted switch has defined what an ENV (electronic nicotine vapouriser) looks like… its a unique, classic design which keeps the look of the device symmetrical and aesthetically pleasing without an ugly protrusion – simply put, it just flows naturally with the lines of the device. From a practical point of view, when in use, the bottom mounted device can also be used in any orientation meaning you don’t have to line up your ENV so that your finger/thumb can press the button unlike with the side mounted cousins.

The very first commercial electronic cigarette mod on the market – The Screwdriver – was quite tellingly a bottom mounted device and to this day has not swayed from this simple, straightforward classic design… say no more.

On a practical level again, there are a number of ways that you can hold a bottom mounted device which I’ll illustrate with a few pics, but the biggest hurdle (if you are a new user) will be just to find a natural, comfortable hold… something which shouldn’t take very long given the options available. Actually being a converted bottom mounted switch user myself its funny but when I try a side mounted device now it feels almost alien and I find myself getting frustrated that you always have to line up your finger/thumb to the orientation of the side mounted switch.

My favoured grip - really natural feel to this one.

The above photo shows my preferred grip with a bottom mounted device (Don pictured with a eGo tank atomiser) using the tapered end of the Don to activate the switch…. I call it the ‘clutch grip’.

This photo shows the ‘pinky/little finger grip’, (Mini Don pictured with a CE2 Clearomiser) but of course you can also use your ring finger or middle finger in a similar fashion. Some people even take to using their index or pointing finger! This is the beauty of the bottom mounted switch in that you have many options available to find the best natural hold to suit your own set of dexterous digits.

The switch on both the Mako and the Don is very wide so it is very easy for your fingers to find it and the all important locking feature can be activated by only using one hand. The switch also has up to 8mm of internal adjustment so you can find the sweet spot for the battery you are using bearing in mind batteries do tend to vary a lot in length between manufacturers… this also allows you to adjust the switch throw or distance to activate which inevitably makes it even easier to use.

Over to the negatives… hmmm well I’ve thought long and hard about this one and really haven’t been able to come up with much only that bottom switches clearly aren’t for everyone (although I personally think they are!). I think the biggest thing that people have against bottom switches is purely psychological… if I’m honest, I used to feel this way and didn’t really give them (bottom switches) the time of day purely on the basis that they were different (and slightly alien to what I was used to). Ironically I now feel that way about side mounted devices! The simple fact is that someone who is used to a side mounted switch will not necessarily take immediately to a bottom mounted switch and vice versa…. this is just a matter of habit. But given time, the fruits of a bottom mounted switch can truly be appreciated in their full.

<<END RANT>>

In the meantime, we have even more plans in the pipeline for the Don which we’ve been working on to add another string to its already decorated bow… no clues yet I’m afraid, but this one’s definitely not for the faint of heart so keep posted!

Thanks reading and would love to hear any comments,

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread