CA Vanilla Custard vs TPA Bavarian Creaam - Can one substitue the other?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
Just IMO here, but the Custard is more like a pudding flavor. i feel like i taste a light power hint to it, almost papery but not in a bad way.

The Bavarian has more of a whip cream sweetness with a HINT of cheesy cream, kind of like cheesecake.

I personally like the custard more. I have a friend who does nothing but DIY and out of these two i personally like custard where as he prefers bavarian. to each his own.

.02$

uitzetter

Jul 12, 2012
The Netherlands
@cerver7: Thanks! Does the papery and pudding-like also mean it 'feels' more thick / firm / dense? And does the whipped cream also means it feels more airy? Furthermore, can you actually taste vanilla in vanilla custard or is it more custard? And is the bavarian cream more sweet with a hint of sour, or only sweet?

I have the bavarian cream comming. They were out of vanilla custard, so it's a shame I cannot try yet. But nonetheless, I'm very interested in what you think!

cerver7

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2010
Shamong NJ
The custard has hints of vanilla, not too strong where as the bavarian has more of that creamy vanilla flavor kind of like a creamy vanilla extract with hints of whipped cream.

The taste of the custard def felt a bit more thick. the vapor was not but the feeling of the flavor was more of a coating feeling on the taste buds where the bavarian was more to the sweet side. I did not have any sourness with either, but if i was forced at gun point to say i would actually say the custard would be the sour winner. that papery earthy like feel to it made it seem that i could second guess it for a sour note, but only a whisper.

uitzetter

Jul 12, 2012
The Netherlands
NO, definitely not, anything with the word 'custard' should be avoided, though tasty, custard notes are dangerous.

Perfumer's Apprentice; Vanilla Custard Ingredients in Flavors
TFA Toasted Marshmallow is a good substitute...

I thought that it didn't apply to Capella's Vanilla Custard?

I'm talking about Capella's Vanilla Custard and TPA's Bavarian Cream. Or is this a concern vor Capella's Vanilla Custard too? I thought I read somewhere it doesn't apply to Capella's?

eikon

slave to the comma
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
the brand dose not matter, there are only 3 flavorants capable of creating those yummy 'custard notes', diacetyl, Acetyl propionyl and acetoin. none of these should be inhaled. I have never tasted CAP's Vanilla Custard, so I can't be sure it has one of those, but it is extremely easy to spot if you know the flavor, and the word 'custard' in the name makes it a good bet.

eikon

slave to the comma
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Most flavor companies no longer use diacetyl for custard/butter/cream notes. NF was about the last hold out and they now have no diacetyl versions.

the problem is that diacetyl's replacements, Acetyl propionyl and acetoin, can crystallize into diacetyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread