Cabana Boy v3-5, plus a reformulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
This is my all-time favorite juice I make, but unfortunately it took me a little while to figure out it's a serious coil wrecker. Seems like it's probably the sour and Sweet Tangerine more than anything else, so I'm working on some reformulations. Version 3 is by far my favorite, but I'm including some extra, slightly-changed versions and a v1 reformulation just so you have some options.

Cabana Boy V3:
6% Capella Sweet Tangerine
4% TFA Pineapple
3% Capella Yellow Peach
2% TFA Strawberry
3% TFA Sour
1-3% TFA Koolada to taste

V4: Substitute 2% Capella Raspberry V2 for TFA Strawberry. Totally fine and tasty, but distinctly different from the versions with strawberry. Made when I ran out and not again.

V5: Reduce Sweet Tangerine to 4.5% and add 1.5% Capella Apricot. Not an appreciable difference, went back to V3.

----------------------------------------

So those were the three big original iterations, again with V3 being the one I settled on. Once I figured out the gunking problem, I got to work reformulating. I've only got one "second coming" iteration so far, but at the moment it seems to be doing a little less damage to the coil. I need time to figure it out still. This still pales in comparison to V3 in terms of overall taste and intensity of flavor, but it's OK.

Cabana Boy Second Coming V1:
6% TFA Orange Mandarin
4% TFA Pineapple
3% Capella Yellow Peach
2.5% TFA Strawberry
1% TFA Sour
1-3% TFA Koolada 10% to taste

It will be a while yet before I figure out a) what the best reformulation is in terms of taste and b) whether it tastes good enough to be worth it, especially if I'm unable to keep it from gunking up coils quickly. That said, my initial thoughts on this first version is that it needs a little more Orange Mandarin, so feel free to try with 8% if you make it... possibly reduce Strawberry back to 2%, too. I'm also really missing the tartness but the malic acid is probably a big reason for .... on my coils so I'm not totally sure what to do about that yet.

Reactions: Krazychic

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
This sounds really good, so I'm gonna have to try this. Do you think it'd work to replace the tangerine with FA mandarin, Fa Orange or maybe TFA orange cream? I'm thinking mandarin... not sure.

thanks! I definitely wouldn't use the Orange Cream if you want to try to get it as close as possible to my recipe, but it might be tasty as a new version. For closeness I think the Mandarin would be the first I'd try, especially since the first reformulation was with TFA Orange Mandarin which I assume is at least a little similar to the FA :) I mostly use TFA and Capella so I'm not as comfortable with proper FA ratios and percentages, but I'm guessing you have an OK handle on that! Let me know if there's anything else I can to do help you nail it. Not to toot my own horn, but it's really very tasty and I'm finding it really lends itself well to fiddling with some of the ingredients while still tasting good. The version with Orange Mandarin instead of Sweet Tangerine is almost as great!

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
I can't remember the rule on double posting here, so sincere apologies if I should be editing my last post, but this is a real update.

After 60+ mL running through my OCC, I can conclusively say that my Reformulation/"Second Coming" v1.2 is MUCH easier on the coil. I have a feeling it's a combination of swapping out the Sweet Tangerine and lowering the Sour content. It's not exact and I fully intend on continuing to tweak it, but personally I think it's really quite good and I'm happy that it's not immediately ripping through my coils. It is basically the same as the reformulation above with a bit more OM and a smiiidddggeee less Strawberry but I'll post in its entirety just for ease:

Cabana Boy "Second Coming" v1.2:
8% TFA Orange Mandarin
4% TFA Pineapple
3% CAP Yellow Peach
2% TFA Strawberry
1% TFA Sour
1-3% TFA Koolada to taste

ETA: I recommend a 50/50 VG/PG blend for this one (and I do different blends depending on the juice), but I know people all have their own preferences.

The Orange Mandarin seems to have just a tiny bit of the tartness missing from lowering the Sour content, but not so much that it's about to destroy a coil after just hours vaping. This is my ADV right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread