can't taste my e-juice

Status
Not open for further replies.

yahya

Aug 19, 2017
Can you smell the vapor or the juice?

What device are you vaping on and what tank?

Edit: I just now saw your post on you having a cold. Yes when I was coming off a cold, I had major issues tasting my juice as well. This may pass.
i'm using predator 228w by wismec, with a reload rta tank
i don't think its with my vaping machine its just me not tasting it

Reactions: stols001

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal

Yeah, I realize that now after reading back and seeing that you had a cold. Nothing tastes the same for a while until your body gets back into balance. Just fight through it and see what happens in a few days.

yahya

Aug 19, 2017
Yeah, I realize that now after reading back and seeing that you had a cold. Nothing tastes the same for a while until your body gets back into balance. Just fight through it and see what happens in a few days.
but i wanna vape like right now, lol i'm acting like a baby. i really hope i get back to normal tomorrow. aight gonna make some coffe now and try to forget vaping

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Vapor is a lot harder to taste and smell than food, and if you have a stuffy nose, a lot of the taste of juice comes from the smell.

1. Slow.DOWN. This will pass. If you have saline drops you might try washing your stuffy nose out with a neti pot or something, to help clear your sinuses, or you can use LIGHTLY salted clean (i.e. distilled) H20 to help the stuffiness pass. Vapor does pass flavor onto your tongue but if you have anything much respiratory going on, it's going to be way harder to taste than food, if not impossible. Treat your cold and wait for it to pass.

2. IN the meantime, don't go wasting all your great new juice. You can't taste it, try something simple and STRONG like peppermint or wintergreen (may help your cold pass sooner too, IDK).

3. If you can't even taste the peppermint, vape unflavored so you aren't being "disappointed." You won't have the expectation of flavor, so it won't bother you so much. Any vape store can probably sell you unflavored juice of your choosing if you don't DIY.

4. Stay hydrated, to help the cold pass. I like drinks like chamomile tea with milk/honey to help soothe everything in my mouth/respiratory system, lemon drinks are also good for sore throats. Stay away from Sudafed (probably) for your sx unless doc says otherwise as it will dry you out more (not so good for vaping).

5. Don't panic. Normal operation will resume shortly. It may be AFTER you start tasting foods, remember that vape is a bit ephemeral compared to food, which one is holding in one's mouth and chewing, repeatedly.

6. Best of luck. I never got vaper's tongue, but I am struggling to make my *very subtle* DIY e-juices work for me now that I am vaping with dentures in instead of without (didn't have them for a month due to oral surgery. While I am in DELIGHT to eat solid food again, I'm going to have to bump up my flavoring, because I have far less area in my mouth with which to "taste".) I am not panicking, I am still vaping, not smoking, and I barely caught that my coil is dying because that's how much of a difference it makes (for me). It's going to be an adjustment and it WILL be resolvable, I am finding that really, apart from a disastrous battery venting situation or something that blows off my hand, most things in the vape world are Fixable. I love that about vaping. :)

Good luck!

Anna

Reactions: yahya

yahya

Aug 19, 2017
Vapor is a lot harder to taste and smell than food, and if you have a stuffy nose, a lot of the taste of juice comes from the smell.

1. Slow.DOWN. This will pass. If you have saline drops you might try washing your stuffy nose out with a neti pot or something, to help clear your sinuses, or you can use LIGHTLY salted clean (i.e. distilled) H20 to help the stuffiness pass. Vapor does pass flavor onto your tongue but if you have anything much respiratory going on, it's going to be way harder to taste than food, if not impossible. Treat your cold and wait for it to pass.

2. IN the meantime, don't go wasting all your great new juice. You can't taste it, try something simple and STRONG like peppermint or wintergreen (may help your cold pass sooner too, IDK).

3. If you can't even taste the peppermint, vape unflavored so you aren't being "disappointed." You won't have the expectation of flavor, so it won't bother you so much. Any vape store can probably sell you unflavored juice of your choosing if you don't DIY.

4. Stay hydrated, to help the cold pass. I like drinks like chamomile tea with milk/honey to help soothe everything in my mouth/respiratory system, lemon drinks are also good for sore throats. Stay away from Sudafed (probably) for your sx unless doc says otherwise as it will dry you out more (not so good for vaping).

5. Don't panic. Normal operation will resume shortly. It may be AFTER you start tasting foods, remember that vape is a bit ephemeral compared to food, which one is holding in one's mouth and chewing, repeatedly.

6. Best of luck. I never got vaper's tongue, but I am struggling to make my *very subtle* DIY e-juices work for me now that I am vaping with dentures in instead of without (didn't have them for a month due to oral surgery. While I am in DELIGHT to eat solid food again, I'm going to have to bump up my flavoring, because I have far less area in my mouth with which to "taste".) I am not panicking, I am still vaping, not smoking, and I barely caught that my coil is dying because that's how much of a difference it makes (for me). It's going to be an adjustment and it WILL be resolvable, I am finding that really, apart from a disastrous battery venting situation or something that blows off my hand, most things in the vape world are Fixable. I love that about vaping. :)

Good luck!

Anna
welp, i don't have any complains now thank you for the great answer,
i hope your teeth get well soon so you can eat solid food again, again thanks so much it was really helpful for me.
cheers have a great day. :toast:

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I think I may have found another stumbling block in your search for flavor. I just got through reading your other thread asking for tank recommendations. After reading that thread, I think you may have overlooked some useful advise there:
i mean i have a 228 watts mod i wanna be able to go 120 watts or so get the heat in my mouth sometimes,
1. More power (higher watts, and higher temperatures) DOES NOT equal more taste. It may give you more vapor/clouds; but it won't give you more taste. Flavor chasers (those who put the greatest importance on getting the best flavor out of their juice) are not often simultaneously cloud chasers (those who put the greatest importance on getting the most vapor out of their juice); because the two focuses are often at odds with one another.

All that extra vapor is really just wasted juice. It looks pretty, and you can do some cool tricks with it, but it doesn't ad anything extra for your ability to taste it. This is one reason why many of the commercial "cloud competition" e-liquids are either unflavored, or available only in very limited flavor choices.

If you are still having a hard time believing this; try this quick experiment: take a beverage of your choice (I just did this with a Gatorade), and take a normal swallow of it, notice how it tastes. Now, take another swallow, but this time make it as big a gulp as you can without choking yourself. How did it taste? Was it stronger because you had more of it? Or was it the same? For me, it actually had a little less flavor because it changed my natural breathing (I had to hold my breath for a second to get it down, and during that time, it actually had less flavor). Extra vapor is kind of like that; once your flavor (and olfactory) receptors are covered/coated, everything else is just excess. This is why a single coil build, or "tootle-puffer" (low power, low vapor) vapers, can get just as good (and sometimes better) flavor as the person rocking the big, bad multi-coil setup. And, they go through a lot less juice, for a bonus.;)

Flavor chasers learn that different recipes have different, but very noticeable, limited temperature ranges where they are going to taste best. Too low of a temperature, and the overall flavor profile will taste muddy, and underdeveloped. Too high a temperature, and the flavor all but disappears.

Your description of being able to taste a vape for 2, or 3 puffs, and then the flavor goes away; makes me think you are at the high end of your flavor's temperature sweet-spot. Starting with a cold tank and coil, you are able to get a bit of flavor; but as the tank and coils heat up (and retain some of the residual heat), the temperature goes too high, and the flavor disappears.

2. Just because a tank has a "good" reputation for flavor; does not mean that it will always, automatically, provide good flavor. Flavor production is as dependent, if not more dependent, on learning the correct coil and wicking for that specific tank. Just because one setup works for one tank, and one person, doesn't automatically guarantee that it will be the best choice for a different tank, or different person.

3. Airflow is yet another crucial part to flavor development. Too much air can "dilute" the flavor and make it seem weak, or non existent. Too tight of an airflow, and the individual notes that make up the overall profile, can become unbalanced.

Airflow is not only controlled by how "open" or "closed" the air intake ports are; but also how hard, or softly you take each puff.

Airflow also affects the temperature of the coils.

All of this plays a part in how an e-liquid tastes.

Flavor "A" may taste best to me, in my Griffin tank, with 1.2 (total) ohms 3mm standard dual coils, at 28 watts, and the airflow 3/4 open.

But, if I take that same flavor "A", and same Griffin tank, and put a 0.4 (total) ohms 2.5mm dual fused clapton coils; I now need 44 watts of power, and the airflow all the way open, in order for it to taste good.

If I change the flavor to Flavor "B," but still in the Griffin tank, I may need to adjust temperature, and/or airflow yet again.

So, I hope you can see, if you are jumping all around, rebuilding, and changing juices, and running everything at 120 watts, you are setting yourself up for a pretty unimpressive taste experience.

It appears that you just got your new Reload on Saturday:
guys i bought a reload tank i really can't describe it i can't pick words to describe it, though its 75$ lol
And given your self-admitted lack of patience; I am guessing that you have not spent much time trying to fine tune these characteristics.

Take some time. Watch as many YouTube videos, for your specific RTA, as you can find. What do they say about flavor? How did they build it? What did they say about airflow? What wattage did they like that build best at?

Search for forum threads that are specific to your RTA, and read those, looking for the same questions and answers. If you can't find anything helpful; start your own... but be specific. You are looking for best flavor builds for a Reload RTA, and want recommendations that include build, airflow, and power.
(Also, it is extra helpful if your thread title is also specific. Something like: "Looking for Reload RTA flavor build advise" will get a lot more of the right people (who may actually have some useful info); than something like "need building advise" which is likely going to get you a bunch of well-meaning, but not helpful to your precise situation, types of replies; while those that might have been helpful, ignore the generic, uninformative title, that has been asked a hundred times already about a hundred different devises.)

If you find a lot of reviews/recommendations, start looking for common trends; 20 folks are using very similar "X" setups, while 2 are using "Y," and one is using "Z." Start with "X" for your own initial experiments, but don't throw out the idea of "Y" or "Z," as one of those might just turn out to be "best" for you.

When you are ready to start testing, again... take some time. I always start well below the recommended temp; usually 10-20% below. Then take at least 10-12 normal (for you) puffs without changing anything. This will give the tank, coil, and wick, a chance to warm up and give a better representation of what the flavor is likely going to taste like during repeated vaping. How does it taste? Feel free to take notes so you can keep track of how a flavor tastes at a particular wattage. Now increase the wattage a little bit.
(For me, when I am chasing flavor, I will increase 1.0 ohm {and higher} builds, about 2.5 watts at a time; 0.99 ohm builds {and lower} I generally start with 5 watt increments until I get close.)
Repeat the dozen, or so, puffs. Now how does it taste; better, worse, about the same? During each set of puffs (once warm), I will try the airflow at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full open. Keep slowly, and methodically, move up in power, until the flavor gets worse; then work back down, until it is at its best for you.

This can be a bit more difficult if you are doing this with a juice you are unfamiliar with; because it just may not be a good juice to you. Remember that you are trying to "get it as good as it will get" and not "the ambrosia to the gods." If it turns out that way; Great! But it is okay if it is only mediocre too; you are just trying to find the best mediocre it will produce.

And lastly; if you are suffering through a cold right now, fully expect to need to redo some, or all of your efforts once you are back to feeling 100%. Things are going to taste different; and your sweet-spot is likely to be different.

Best wishes; I hope you get it figured out!:D

yahya

Aug 19, 2017
I think I may have found another stumbling block in your search for flavor. I just got through reading your other thread asking for tank recommendations. After reading that thread, I think you may have overlooked some useful advise there:

1. More power (higher watts, and higher temperatures) DOES NOT equal more taste. It may give you more vapor/clouds; but it won't give you more taste. Flavor chasers (those who put the greatest importance on getting the best flavor out of their juice) are not often simultaneously cloud chasers (those who put the greatest importance on getting the most vapor out of their juice); because the two focuses are often at odds with one another.

All that extra vapor is really just wasted juice. It looks pretty, and you can do some cool tricks with it, but it doesn't ad anything extra for your ability to taste it. This is one reason why many of the commercial "cloud competition" e-liquids are either unflavored, or available only in very limited flavor choices.

If you are still having a hard time believing this; try this quick experiment: take a beverage of your choice (I just did this with a Gatorade), and take a normal swallow of it, notice how it tastes. Now, take another swallow, but this time make it as big a gulp as you can without choking yourself. How did it taste? Was it stronger because you had more of it? Or was it the same? For me, it actually had a little less flavor because it changed my natural breathing (I had to hold my breath for a second to get it down, and during that time, it actually had less flavor). Extra vapor is kind of like that; once your flavor (and olfactory) receptors are covered/coated, everything else is just excess. This is why a single coil build, or "tootle-puffer" (low power, low vapor) vapers, can get just as good (and sometimes better) flavor as the person rocking the big, bad multi-coil setup. And, they go through a lot less juice, for a bonus.;)

Flavor chasers learn that different recipes have different, but very noticeable, limited temperature ranges where they are going to taste best. Too low of a temperature, and the overall flavor profile will taste muddy, and underdeveloped. Too high a temperature, and the flavor all but disappears.

Your description of being able to taste a vape for 2, or 3 puffs, and then the flavor goes away; makes me think you are at the high end of your flavor's temperature sweet-spot. Starting with a cold tank and coil, you are able to get a bit of flavor; but as the tank and coils heat up (and retain some of the residual heat), the temperature goes too high, and the flavor disappears.

2. Just because a tank has a "good" reputation for flavor; does not mean that it will always, automatically, provide good flavor. Flavor production is as dependent, if not more dependent, on learning the correct coil and wicking for that specific tank. Just because one setup works for one tank, and one person, doesn't automatically guarantee that it will be the best choice for a different tank, or different person.

3. Airflow is yet another crucial part to flavor development. Too much air can "dilute" the flavor and make it seem weak, or non existent. Too tight of an airflow, and the individual notes that make up the overall profile, can become unbalanced.

Airflow is not only controlled by how "open" or "closed" the air intake ports are; but also how hard, or softly you take each puff.

Airflow also affects the temperature of the coils.

All of this plays a part in how an e-liquid tastes.

Flavor "A" may taste best to me, in my Griffin tank, with 1.2 (total) ohms 3mm standard dual coils, at 28 watts, and the airflow 3/4 open.

But, if I take that same flavor "A", and same Griffin tank, and put a 0.4 (total) ohms 2.5mm dual fused clapton coils; I now need 44 watts of power, and the airflow all the way open, in order for it to taste good.

If I change the flavor to Flavor "B," but still in the Griffin tank, I may need to adjust temperature, and/or airflow yet again.

So, I hope you can see, if you are jumping all around, rebuilding, and changing juices, and running everything at 120 watts, you are setting yourself up for a pretty unimpressive taste experience.

It appears that you just got your new Reload on Saturday:

And given your self-admitted lack of patience; I am guessing that you have not spent much time trying to fine tune these characteristics.

Take some time. Watch as many YouTube videos, for your specific RTA, as you can find. What do they say about flavor? How did they build it? What did they say about airflow? What wattage did they like that build best at?

Search for forum threads that are specific to your RTA, and read those, looking for the same questions and answers. If you can't find anything helpful; start your own... but be specific. You are looking for best flavor builds for a Reload RTA, and want recommendations that include build, airflow, and power.
(Also, it is extra helpful if your thread title is also specific. Something like: "Looking for Reload RTA flavor build advise" will get a lot more of the right people (who may actually have some useful info); than something like "need building advise" which is likely going to get you a bunch of well-meaning, but not helpful to your precise situation, types of replies; while those that might have been helpful, ignore the generic, uninformative title, that has been asked a hundred times already about a hundred different devises.)

If you find a lot of reviews/recommendations, start looking for common trends; 20 folks are using very similar "X" setups, while 2 are using "Y," and one is using "Z." Start with "X" for your own initial experiments, but don't throw out the idea of "Y" or "Z," as one of those might just turn out to be "best" for you.

When you are ready to start testing, again... take some time. I always start well below the recommended temp; usually 10-20% below. Then take at least 10-12 normal (for you) puffs without changing anything. This will give the tank, coil, and wick, a chance to warm up and give a better representation of what the flavor is likely going to taste like during repeated vaping. How does it taste? Feel free to take notes so you can keep track of how a flavor tastes at a particular wattage. Now increase the wattage a little bit.
(For me, when I am chasing flavor, I will increase 1.0 ohm {and higher} builds, about 2.5 watts at a time; 0.99 ohm builds {and lower} I generally start with 5 watt increments until I get close.)
Repeat the dozen, or so, puffs. Now how does it taste; better, worse, about the same? During each set of puffs (once warm), I will try the airflow at 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full open. Keep slowly, and methodically, move up in power, until the flavor gets worse; then work back down, until it is at its best for you.

This can be a bit more difficult if you are doing this with a juice you are unfamiliar with; because it just may not be a good juice to you. Remember that you are trying to "get it as good as it will get" and not "the ambrosia to the gods." If it turns out that way; Great! But it is okay if it is only mediocre too; you are just trying to find the best mediocre it will produce.

And lastly; if you are suffering through a cold right now, fully expect to need to redo some, or all of your efforts once you are back to feeling 100%. Things are going to taste different; and your sweet-spot is likely to be different.

Best wishes; I hope you get it figured out!:D
i already found my sweet spot i have 0.43 ohms and ~4.20V so i set my watts to 45 it was a good sweet spot for me though i used to take a chain of puffs lol, so anyways been on this sweet spot for 3 days and no problem, i never went over 70 watts and been having 1/2 of the airflow most of time, i was stupid when i wrote that old discussion about tanks i'm new to vaping so, about the wicking and the tank ofc i didn't expect a tank to give good flavors if i don't wick and build right, i saw a lot of tutorials on the reload tank before wicking, also i don't believe that the flavor goes away i always had same strong delicious flavors from my juices and suddenly i can't taste anything, been like this for ~35 hrs and i wanna go back to normal so bad now, also i tried the experience first time i got some flavor and it washed off really quick, second time i didn't get any flavor lol.
ty for caring and reading my discussions to provide me a good answer you're awesome, and it was really helpful for me as a beginner

Reactions: IDJoel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread