Has anyone found they can't taste just certain juices?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
No; I think your "lack of tasting" is legit…read of individuals that are "flavor blind" to particular flavors.

Agree, and good point! Everyone's flavor/taste sensitivity varies. So it's a beautiful thing when you can craft a mix that's more universally admired. The broad center if you will. Boba's comes to mind. But even there, and perhaps validating the proposition, you will find those who ain't havin it.

Good luck. :)

DamnPrecious

Mar 18, 2018
That sounds more like accretion (build-up) on the coils DP. A sure fire signal that you need to re-wick, dry burn or install another coil. Lot less of these if you rebuild to a standard. But yeah, as it develops you will get more smoky, woody, scorched nutty elements in the recipe turning sour. Ultimately very smoky if not downright ashy.

Lots of folks vape right through that getting used to it with time in an effort to extend (tolerate) build/coil life (sorta like smokin down to the filter in my view). Best to head it off while you're still getting that great vape. In any case, you need to get to a properly working install to really diagnose any flavor or performance issue with the gear or the recipe.

New coils. I’m also a new vaper, I think it might be having a bad sense of taste. It’s subtle flavors that do that. Citrus Octaine was the first thing I liked and had flavor.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
New coils. I’m also a new vaper, I think it might be having a bad sense of taste. It’s subtle flavors that do that. Citrus Octaine was the first thing I liked and had flavor.

Could be. We go through phases as taste buds heal. Meantime, keep an eye on the state of your drop in coils or builds to recognize build up and see how that corresponds to your taste experience. A little observation will do you good.

When/if you're ready, I've taught a few people how to build. Glad to help.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
My sense of taste and smell improved as I began vaping. It does take time for all the damaged tastebuds to die off and be replaced, etc. Many new vapers find they do better with stronger and less complex recipes.

That may change over time, so I would put away juice you can't taste for a month or so, and come back to them with a fresh palate.

Also, don't be surprised if you find you can't taste almost anything at all as you continue vaping. It's called vaper's tongue and can happen as your tastebuds are in the die-off process. If that happens to you (it doesn't happen to everyone but it did to me) don't panic. It passes. You can try smelling or tasting strong flavors to "revive" your tastebuds (e.g. chew on some lemon zest, smell coffee grounds, etc.) and stay hydrated. Good oral hygiene is important and a tongue scraper can help speed the process along. Most of all though, make sure not to panic! It will pass, usually within a few days. Some people vape unflavored during that time period, it can be less frustrating to vape without the "expectation" of flavor that you may not be getting. Also stay hydrated.

You may find as you get a more normal sense of taste and smell, that your preferences for juices may also change. I DIY and use FAR less flavor than one would use in commercial juices and I now find most commercial juice overflavored, oversweetened, and some what chemical in taste. I don't think I would have enjoyed my DIY juices as I was transitioning to vaping, though.

Best of luck,

Anna

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
I am at war with my sinuses, so everything is dulled, but when I was young, I LOVED black cherry soda.
Not a cherry cola, but "Vess" brand Black Cherry. I saw it in a store and had to have it. Couldn't taste it.
Tasted like Sparkling water and can. Tried Black Cherry flavoring for ejuice, same deal. Started with just a drop, and kept adding until I just gave up. I can smell it when I first open it, and then it's gone...Can't taste it at all. Tobacco flavors seem fine, and menthol bangs me just like always.

Reactions: stols001

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
It happened to me a few months after I started vaping. Juice smelled fine, food tasted normal. But I couldn’t taste juice at all. If I recall, I used a lot of vanilla, bakery, fruit, and candy flavors.

I tried every trick and nothing helped. It just sort of went away on its own, but that was a rough couple of months!

After that, I haven’t had any problems.

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
I'm trying to figure out what is going on, and I have ruled out vaper's tongue/fatigue and dehydration. I've tried a small fortune of "premium" juices so far and tend to be pretty picky. I find I like sweeter, dessert flavors. But tonight I've hit yet 2 more juices in my stash that have NO taste or flavor. I just taste a thickness from the VG. My sister enjoyed the first two when I gave them to her and said they tasted great. She picked right up on the flavor profile. My SO doesn't vape, but tried the last two just now and picks up the actual flavors fine, too. So it IS just me. The "offenders" so far are...

Moo Milk Vanilla Almond Milk - Vanilla, Almond Milk (pretty obvious!)
Cuttwood Sugar Drizzle - Cinnamon Cereal, Milk, Cream
Bad Drip Ugly Butter - Cinnamon, Donut, Banana Pudding
SVRF Tempting - Blueberry, Churro, and Dessert

Aside from the Vanilla Almond, the only common denominator I can come up with is cinnamon. Based on descriptions and reviews, all 4 of these should be flavors I LOVE. But I tasted none of the yumminess, including the cinnamon.

I do typically rotate three main juices - coconut, chocolate, and fried sponge cake, if that matters. Am I destined to only taste super sweet, sugary juices? I really want to get some coconut, banana, almond, and vanilla custard from The Sauce LA while it's on sale, but I'm afraid I won't taste those, either.

By the way, I can't taste them on my finger, from a pod device, or by adjusting wattage and air flow on my Triton tank. All juices are only 3mg, so it shouldn't be nicotine overwhelming it.

Does anyone have any insight or suggestions? I'm kind of at a loss... :confused:

Thanks!
Have simular issues occasionally. Sweet is best for me as well. I have been able to "supercharge" some pre made juices with a drop or two of sucralose per 10 mil. But only a drop or two it is strong stuff and can beca little hard on your coils. Vape on !!!

ilporcupine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2018
IL, Duh
Have simular issues occasionally. Sweet is best for me as well. I have been able to "supercharge" some pre made juices with a drop or two of sucralose per 10 mil. But only a drop or two it is strong stuff and can beca little hard on your coils. Vape on !!!
Man, I can put the juice on my finger, and lick it, and tastes like supersweet. Vape it and nothing.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread