Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I never used to punch 'em myself but
a) I moved to thicker juice because more than half the time I'm squonking
b) I found my cartotanks work just fine with that same jucie if I just open the stock hole a bit
c) Someone threw in a saddle thingy for free with a used tank I bought from him

SO - it's not perfect, but it gets the job done...and I had it around to use without buying a carto puncher!

Just wondering what everyone is using to punch their cartos with.

I have one of those Smok ring with the screw and wing nut thingies but I'm hoping there is something out there that works better.

Are the saddle valves any good?

Thanks for any help!

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I still use cartotanks. Bought a ton of fancy tanks when I thought that would be the terminal equipment for me.
Wrong. Again. LOL.

But I like the convenience and reliability, so I always have one loaded, and if I'm running an errand or two I'm more comfortable pocketing that than an RDA because of potential liquid from an airhole.

Since it's not all day, I'm getting WEEEKS from a carto.

I went from Ikenvape to Boge, and Boge has been my preference for a while now. Occasionally, I'll get a bad one, or I'll screw up getting one primed, but not often. And like I said, they don't seem to "age" much when not in use.

Tank-wise, I've been using a ByLeo Cage for months now, but just because it's working great and I'm lazy.
I have a bunch of others that I can't sell for near what they used to be worth, so I'll just rotate through which ones I use.
These include: Kir Fanis (Prive-Special, Prive, Varadero...), SnP, Loki, Vaperfexion ...

tankparade3_zpsa4ea76bd.jpg

10x sugar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 13, 2013
OC, NJ
Wow! That is a magnificent collection Train2! I don't even know what most of those are but they are all beautiful!

I have mostly IBTanked and some Atmizoo Bayou's which I use on ProVari 2.5's.

I also like the Boges and the SmokTeck and for using in a tank, I've always used the punched ones. The non punched, non flanged ones were always cheaper and very tempting but I didn't want to screw them up trying to punch them. Now, because of the great deal from DFW at .20 each for the unpunched ones, I have my vapocalypse stash and I'm feeling brave! But I could use some guidance in finding the best tool to punch them with!

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I got a couple of bricks already, but was thinking of getting, at least, a couple more when I get paid. But, now the description says ' **NOTE the single and dual coils could be mixed.' What does that mean? The box might be SC or might be DC? Or, that they may be mixed within each box?

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
Wow! That is a magnificent collection Train2! I don't even know what most of those are but they are all beautiful!

I have mostly IBTanked and some Atmizoo Bayou's which I use on ProVari 2.5's.

I also like the Boges and the SmokTeck and for using in a tank, I've always used the punched ones. The non punched, non flanged ones were always cheaper and very tempting but I didn't want to screw them up trying to punch them. Now, because of the great deal from DFW at .20 each for the unpunched ones, I have my vapocalypse stash and I'm feeling brave! But I could use some guidance in finding the best tool to punch them with!
This is what I use. Its called a saddle valve.
http://m.lowes.com/pd/Watts-1-4-in-Brass-Compression-In-Line-Straight-Valve/3133463

Grimm Green shows how to use it.
https://youtu.be/3GMgcElH6Y0

I got it at Lowes for a couple of bucks. It works perfectly! I got it because I'd gone through so many of those cheap carto punches cause the threads on the screw would strip out. The saddle valve has been working like a champ!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I got a couple of bricks already, but was thinking of getting, at least, a couple more when I get paid. But, now the description says ' **NOTE the single and dual coils could be mixed.' What does that mean? The box might be SC or might be DC? Or, that they may be mixed within each box?

Haven't checked out the site lately but it usually just means that you can mix your order. Since you've time yet, I'd shoot a quick email to clarify.

+1 on the line tap valve, found mine to Much less finicky than my saddle punch. Check in Accessories at a supplier, some still stock them.

MrStik

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 6, 2013
    SoCal
    My friends and I used Carto Tanks when we first started. It was cool to use because they were cheap and you can have multiple flavors by carrying multiple tanks. A few of my friends didn't like the priming process, but that was something that I found I enjoyed doing. One thing... Back when we first started vaping, we would love EVERY flavor we tried, so having a cheap tank system made getting multiple flavors easy. I mean at my peak, I had like 15 tanks and just as many flavors.

And as things matured and we found our niche flavors, we graduated to drippers because they were fun to use. Been on drippers for most of my vaping life, and just finally moved over to a Subtank Mini.

The main benefit I can see using a carto tank system vs the new tank systems is pricing. For what it costs to buy a subtank mini, I could have bought 3 carto tank systems and a 5 pack of cartos to go with it. But the ease in which it is to change out a coil and prime it makes it worth it to me. My wife didn't enjoy priming a carto too much, it gets messy and she often flooded them. I would end up doing the priming for her. She is now using the Atlantis and loving the ease of use on it. She swears on never going back to carto tanks again.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ordered a Supco line tap valve for 5.25 from Amazon with free shipping. cheap cheap cheap!

I read some of the reviews on there, and sprinkled in with the ones from plumbers and refrigeration repair people, were a few from vapers!

Haha, yeah- you'll also see at half-page " things people also bought" all the Kanthal and pliers and other do-dads.

ckquatt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 8, 2013
    Milledgeville, GA
    Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ordered a Supco line tap valve for 5.25 from Amazon with free shipping. cheap cheap cheap!

I read some of the reviews on there, and sprinkled in with the ones from plumbers and refrigeration repair people, were a few from vapers!
    Nice!!! They really are great carto punches! And VERY useful in enlarging existing carto holes! Thats really what I use mine for.

I buy the Smok flanged 2 hole 2.0 ohm cartos, and the flange up against the bracket aligns the existing hole up PERFECTLY to enlarge one hole! Almost like it was made for it! Just turn the screw till it stops!
    9615065fdcbbf2e236a6203ff6881d22.jpg

After hole enlargement:
    e5cfa050a1e78305540c768d1823caea.jpg

Just a hint. I enlarge one hole for normal eliquid. Wicks beautifully and never leaks! I enlarge both holes for 100% VG and it wicks like a champ!

ckquatt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 8, 2013
    Milledgeville, GA
    ckquatt- I guess you're getting better life from your punching pin that way. I was punching the solid ones and it dulled the tip too quick. And always tried to spit the carto out side-ways.

I could take the top off and nail-file the tip end pretty easily tho. Almost as nice as store bought then.
    Hmm. Well the tip has held up well. I was punching my own holes with it to start with. Its still pretty sharp. The only time I've ever had it kick a carto to one side was when I didnt have the pin fully retracted before I tightened the bracket down.

I guess everyone's milage varies.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread