Charlie's chalk dust Slamberry no flavour

Status
Not open for further replies.

greek_vaper

Feb 29, 2016
Hello, I was wondering why Charlie's chalk dust-Slamberry has almost no flavour? I am using Avocado, I tried with Clapton and with kanthal and both ways almost no flavour at all. Has anyone else experienced that? Thanks

Hi ! I randomly run into your post looking up solutions for my Avocado 24 Bottom Air Flow.
I have been using it for almost a month with very mixed results. I also read your other post on spitback. I have been through all this so far and much more: muted flavor, spitback, no flavor, dry hits, burned hits, leaking, you name it.

I run it mostly on 2.5mm ID single coil, simple canthal 24g or canthal clapton 26/34. I wick it with simple ... organic pads, and tested different cotton lengths from simple jamming or tucking (zero length), halfway, bottom of the tank with very thin and fluffy ends. I run it from 20 till 40 W but 30W is the most usual for my 0.6-1 ohm coils.

My observation is that it doesn't wick well with high VG (70+/30-) unless you wait for 10-15" in between puffs to avoid burned hits and 10 min to get back to full flavor. I do tend to draw 3 long serial puffs each time and it's been very disappointing. As a consequence, I have resorted to manual dripping (increased the amount of cotton as well) and 50/50 liquids that wick and work perfectly.

I have also noticed that highly colored sweet liquids don't perform well as you can tell from the browning and fast gunk formation. Maybe the first 3-4 puffs are great and then everything goes crazy with dry hits or spitbacks depending on how much cotton you have.

So basically I am limited to thinner, not highly sweet or colored liquids and I am very happy with long serial vaping, big clouds, great taste. This is my first genny RDTA and I must say I will stick back to my old school drippers or even subohm tanks (Kangertech ceramic prebuild coil lasts for months even on high and sweet VG liquids) for faster wicking and more versatility on my liquid choice. After one month I feel that an RDTA is actually an RTA with all the high VG and sweetener issues RTAs tend to have.

Now I am not familiar with your liquid but drip it manually on the avocado to see what it tastes like at a higher wattage (use steam engine or Vape tool app to get a feeling of your wattages depending on your build). It could also be that it's a very fresh batch and needs to be left to steep for weeks before flavor peaks especially with high VG content (flavors mix up better and faster I believe in higher PG due to lower viscosity). Another weird theory I have developed from fluid dynamics as an engineer is that since PG and additive molecules are much thinner and with a much lower boiling point than VG they tend to travel and vape faster in the wick hence depriving the mixture of its taste progressively, but this could be a PhD thesis so please take it a big grain of salt :)))).

I hope my experiences with the Avocado 24 BAF (a bit different from your version but still applicable) helps you. Please let me know if anything is not clear in the above !!

Reactions: antilopi

antilopi

Mar 6, 2017
Hi, thanks for your answer. I sorted out the problem with the spitback a while ago. It was the Clapton wire.. I found that Kanthal 24g works best and needs a lot of cotton. I do 9 wraps, 2 coils, 2,5mm diametre and put as much as cotton can fit through the coils and works just great. Also, recently I had experience with Avocado bottom airflow and we fixed the problems by placing the coils right on top of the airwholes. I cant explain that well so I will upload some random picture I found on internet. It should look exactly like this in order to work well.. also Cotton Bacon is the best cotton (imo).
And about the e liquids.. I have no issues with the dark or thick e liquids.. they work great, though my coils tend to get black quicker for about a day or so and need to be replaced.

Attachments

• IMG_1206.JPG
    IMG_1206.JPG
    447.5 KB · Views: 21
Reactions: greek_vaper

greek_vaper

Feb 29, 2016
Hi and thanks for the feedback ! As you said high VG dark juice causes you to change wick daily which is what I see also and really dislike. With my RDA I will change wick maybe after 4 days although it's still working and with my ceramic coil on subohm protank 4 I popped it in around Xmas and the flavour and clouds are still going like the first day on dark sweet cookie juice !

Did you get taste out of your strawberry juice yet ? It's funny I just run into the same issue with e-france sweet cream nr 7 (yoghurt and rasperries). Zero flavour, just a weird kind of chemical burnt taste even with manual dripping on a well wicked avocado 24 BAF from low to high watts. I do suspect the previous juice leftovers (a strong tobacco flavour) but there was not any flavour at all which doesnt make sense. Do you change your wick with each new flavour ? Many times I dont especially with the rda's but this is the first time I dont get any flavour at all from an e-liquid.

What lenghth wick tails you use btw in your avocado ? How did you manage to fill the avocado 24 BAF on double coil ?

Many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread