PG/VG percentages

Status
Not open for further replies.

E_Lion

Feb 4, 2018
Hello everyone, I'm not to experienced with vaping so please hel me. I don't understand what's the difference between a 70/30 e-liquid or a 50/50 o max VG or thing like that. Also, what percentages would you recommend me to use in a Vaporesso Tarot nano or in the smok al85. Also, do you like Mr.Meringue, I tried it once and hated it, what Charlie's Chalk Dust flavor would you recommend? Thanks!

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Hello

First let me say that pg is used for throat hit and carries flavor a little better than vg.

Vg is thicker and has a slightly sweet taste and produces lots of vapor, more than pg

A good mixture of the two is split in half at 50/50 pg/vg.

Most experienced vapers and diy'ers always list the pg first, then the vg. This standardization helps everyone to be able to follow along with what the members are saying,

A 70/30 blend would read to me as the ratio of 70 pg and 30 vg.

A max vg means just that. Since most flavoring comes in pg, and it is easier to work with nic that is in a pg solution, it just means that there is as much vg in the mix as the bottle volume allows minus whatever the flavoring and nic encompass. Flavoring in vg can be found, but tend to be a little more hard to come by and may be more expensive.

I would suggest starting at a 50/50 ratio at first. See how that goes for you.

:)

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
In addition to the good info above by @Sugar_and_Spice, higher VG ratios can be quite thick and don't wick well in some devices. This can lead to harsh dry hits if the liquid is not getting to the coil quick enough.
Thank you Az. Since I always thin my vg a little(with DW), I tend to forget that cause I do at least 500ml at one time, so it is not often,......duh...

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Don't get too set on reading the pg/vg in that order. The newer vapers and those like myself list vg/pg because we use vg heavy juices and the manufacturer generally lists what is the highest number first.
Tend to disagree with ya here. When diy first started that was how everyone did it. And if you expect anyone to be able to follow along with what you are asking or saying then it can get very confusing for all involved. I didn't set up the requirements, but I do and will follow them. And if the juice makers are doing this then shame on them.....but when you diy it always helps to be on the same page.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Tend to disagree with ya here. When diy first started that was how everyone did it. And if you expect anyone to be able to follow along with what you are asking or saying then it can get very confusing for all involved. I didn't set up the requirements, but I do and will follow them. And if the juice makers are doing this then shame on them.....but when you diy it always helps to be on the same page.

I don't disagree but I have been using high vg juices for 3 years and they have always been marked vg/pg and you will be seeing more new mixers doing the same. The thing about vaping is it is flexible and if one is confused a simple question is all that's needed. I do try to remember to list as 80vg/20pg. Honestly all that is needed is either I use 80vg, or I use 80pg. The whole / thing is simply not needed.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm afraid that I list VG first usually because that is how my juices were when I bought them. With that said, if you specify, (as people usually do) well, I'm not sure it matters that much.... Just, read your label.

I think starting out 50/50 VG/PG is a reasonable starting point for a new vaper, with the caveat that you may settle with a different ratio in the end.

Just remember, OP, since I know you have a lot of questions going at the moment, you may get conflicting answers and remember that in the end YOU will be vaping, YOU will be purchasing your device, so it's good to get some background, but sometimes too much information at once is as problematic as too little.

You seem to have narrowed down what you "want" in a device, but at the end of the day, go with the one that seems best TO YOU. You can always change things/add things, and whatnot, what you can't really do is not learn from your first purchase. It may be just right, or it may not. My path to vaping was scattered with errors, and you will need a backup device if vaping starts working for you anyway. So ultimately, in the end pick a place to "land" and go from there. Too high or too low VG can be amended fairly easily. You can figure that out but make sure you have chosen your device FIRST, as that will help people give you feedback on juice types AND probably nicotine ranges, depending on what mod and tank you get.

Anna

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North
Funny how taste is so subjective.

I love Mr. Meringue. Vaped some today. I'll be looking for a lemon meringue pie recipe to mix it myself.

Which is why you can't really rely on other folks opinions. If you had simply asked "what is your favorite juice by Charlie's Chalk Dust?" I would have immediately responded "Mr. Meringue".

I suppose if you get a consensus, you might be able to assume it's a good tasting juice, but I wouldn't. Tasting the juice yourself is really the best way to determine if YOU like it.

I have wasted a lot of money and given away a lot of juice over my vaping journey by buying juice based on the opinions of others or a print description.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Funny how taste is so subjective.

I love Mr. Meringue. Vaped some today. I'll be looking for a lemon meringue pie recipe to mix it myself.

Which is why you can't really rely on other folks opinions. If you had simply asked "what is your favorite juice by Charlie's Chalk Dust?" I would have immediately responded "Mr. Meringue".

I suppose if you get a consensus, you might be able to assume it's a good tasting juice, but I wouldn't. Tasting the juice yourself is really the best way to determine if YOU like it.

I have wasted a lot of money and given away a lot of juice over my vaping journey by buying juice based on the opinions of others or a print description.
Exactly why I didn't answer that question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread