Status
Not open for further replies.

Hightech Redneck

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2015
N C
Only issue with this goon is a slight overhang, but I can live with that for the vape. ;)
Sorry had to crop for size, I'm at work so was limited.
20160803_133343.jpg

Reactions: jgreck

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
The Hatty is pretty much a permanent fixture on my Noisy Cricket. The bottom air flow excellent flavor then with the side air for the rowdiness of the Cricket, awesome combination.

Also check out USA Ohm Meter, they have a swivel specific for wrapping wire. I just ordered one yesterday.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Good stuff! It seems lie even the 0.7 ohm build I have running on my cricket just chucks the vapor a little too violently hahaha. Going to tone down and move up to 1 ohm, see how it goes.
Does the swivel really make it that much easier? I saw the one you mentioned, it looked kind of expensive; I'm thinking more along the lines of a cheap pack of fishing swivels that I can just loop onto an eye screw in the wall or something to keep the tension since I don't have a vice. Have you owned any swivels previously?

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
Only issue with this goon is a slight overhang, but I can live with that for the vape. ;)
Sorry had to crop for size, I'm at work so was limited.
View attachment 585257
Man.... That's a beautiful atty. Maybe since I already have a velocity clone, instead of springing for the velocity V2 with a longer contact pin I can just get a goon clone. What kind of build are you running in it?
View attachment 585513
The double Vision works very well
That.... That decal is AMAZING! It almost looks as if it's etched into the box! How/where did you get that?!

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Good stuff! It seems lie even the 0.7 ohm build I have running on my cricket just chucks the vapor a little too violently hahaha. Going to tone down and move up to 1 ohm, see how it goes.
Does the swivel really make it that much easier? I saw the one you mentioned, it looked kind of expensive; I'm thinking more along the lines of a cheap pack of fishing swivels that I can just loop onto an eye screw in the wall or something to keep the tension since I don't have a vice. Have you owned any swivels previously?
My sweet spot is 0.8-0.9, I've went up over an ohm, around 1.2 and wasn't bad. Around an ohm is good for a tank.

The swivel from USA Ohm Meter got it today, nice little setup. To be honest though not a huge improvement over the ball bearing fishing spinners I have. There is an improvement, just not sure enough to justify the cost though. I ran 4 spinners and it worked. I do like it though, need more time with it though.

Skeintastic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2016
Man.... That's a beautiful atty. Maybe since I already have a velocity clone, instead of springing for the velocity V2 with a longer contact pin I can just get a goon clone. What kind of build are you running in it?

That.... That decal is AMAZING! It almost looks as if it's etched into the box! How/where did you get that?!

It is etched. I found an eBay ad from www.vacavapes.com and contacted him. I had the design in mind and after some back and forth he had it out to me very quickly. I think it was 60 bucks.

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
My sweet spot is 0.8-0.9, I've went up over an ohm, around 1.2 and wasn't bad. Around an ohm is good for a tank.

The swivel from USA Ohm Meter got it today, nice little setup. To be honest though not a huge improvement over the ball bearing fishing spinners I have. There is an improvement, just not sure enough to justify the cost though. I ran 4 spinners and it worked. I do like it though, need more time with it though.

Understood. I think I'm going to go with the ball bearing swivels just for the cost effectiveness. Thanks for the input!
It is etched. I found an eBay ad from www.vacavapes.com and contacted him. I had the design in mind and after some back and forth he had it out to me very quickly. I think it was 60 bucks.
Interesting! I'm sure there's a laser etching machine at my local university, but I won't be attending for another year or so... maybe one of my friends can help me out and take one of my designs along with the mod to etch it on there for me. Gotta love being an engineering major!

Reactions: DagMatt

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Understood. I think I'm going to go with the ball bearing swivels just for the cost effectiveness. Thanks for the input!
After using the Spin LT more from USA Ohm Meters, yes it is better than ball bearing swivels. Yes much more pricier but my wire has been coming out better. This is a definite upgrade and IMO is worth the cost if you spin a lot of wire (which I do). Good quality ball bearing swivels are great and do the job so my recommendation is to start with them first. Then after a bit of time I would upgrade to the LT. Just ensure you get good fishing spinners and string about 3-4 together.

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
After using the Spin LT more from USA Ohm Meters, yes it is better than ball bearing swivels. Yes much more pricier but my wire has been coming out better. This is a definite upgrade and IMO is worth the cost if you spin a lot of wire (which I do). Good quality ball bearing swivels are great and do the job so my recommendation is to start with them first. Then after a bit of time I would upgrade to the LT. Just ensure you get good fishing spinners and string about 3-4 together.
Understood. I might splurge for the Spin LT then after having fiddled with the swivels for awhile. I try to refrain from spinning my own claptons at the least because I always mess up at some point along the spinning, but I really need to get better at it so I can make more alien coils and the like. When you say string them together, how do you mean?

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Understood. I might splurge for the Spin LT then after having fiddled with the swivels for awhile. I try to refrain from spinning my own claptons at the least because I always mess up at some point along the spinning, but I really need to get better at it so I can make more alien coils and the like. When you say string them together, how do you mean?
Hook 3-4 together in a line.

Making your own Clapton wire gives you way more versatility. Example I like to use my Tootie Puffer when out and about so I'm not being obnoxious and blowing clouds while like waiting at the Bus stop. So I make 32x2/36 or even 34x2/38 SS fused Clapton wire for them. I also don't like wrapping wire larger than 34g. You really can't find pre-made wire that isn't 26x2/32 or 28x2/32.

For me the fishing spinners were a major game changer.

Skeintastic

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2016
IMG_20160728_161138.jpg
Just a reminder for when you mess up... Whether you have a gap or it winds back upon itself. The drill DOES work in the opposite direction.

The key is patience and a desire for a good result, not perfection. It does get tougher with thinner gages (above is 2x29ga ka1 with a 40ga fuse, nowhere near a 32 ga core but still tougher than .... sometimes) but if I can do it anyone can.

jgreck

Jul 25, 2016
Hook 3-4 together in a line.

Making your own Clapton wire gives you way more versatility. Example I like to use my Tootie Puffer when out and about so I'm not being obnoxious and blowing clouds while like waiting at the Bus stop. So I make 32x2/36 or even 34x2/38 SS fused Clapton wire for them. I also don't like wrapping wire larger than 34g. You really can't find pre-made wire that isn't 26x2/32 or 28x2/32.

For me the fishing spinners were a major game changer.

Hmm. I think I'm following you on that. Definitely the truth for pre-made wire, I normally buy the pre-made 26x2/32 when I can't be bothered to make my own claptons. Another major issue is that the battery on my cordless drill is on its last breath, so normally I need to make my coils in 30 minutes or less and the stress of doing it quickly and efficiently ends in poorly spun claptons. Do you know if there are any video tutorials for wrapping claptons with 3-4 swivels together in a line like that? I want to see what the setup looks like before delving into it.

View attachment 587559 Just a reminder for when you mess up... Whether you have a gap or it winds back upon itself. The drill DOES work in the opposite direction.

The key is patience and a desire for a good result, not perfection. It does get tougher with thinner gages (above is 2x29ga ka1 with a 40ga fuse, nowhere near a 32 ga core but still tougher than .... sometimes) but if I can do it anyone can.

Wow, pretty coils! I've only tried to clapton 24ga and 26ga ka1 with a 32ga or 36ga fuse but they come out pretty wonky because I'm strapped for time. Gotta get a new cordless drill battery ASAP! I've tried reversing the direction on my drill when the coil winds back on itself, but it never seems to come out perfect. I suppose I just need more practice with it.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Hmm. I think I'm following you on that. Definitely the truth for pre-made wire, I normally buy the pre-made 26x2/32 when I can't be bothered to make my own claptons. Another major issue is that the battery on my cordless drill is on its last breath, so normally I need to make my coils in 30 minutes or less and the stress of doing it quickly and efficiently ends in poorly spun claptons. Do you know if there are any video tutorials for wrapping claptons with 3-4 swivels together in a line like that? I want to see what the setup looks like before delving into it.

Wow, pretty coils! I've only tried to clapton 24ga and 26ga ka1 with a 32ga or 36ga fuse but they come out pretty wonky because I'm strapped for time. Gotta get a new cordless drill battery ASAP! I've tried reversing the direction on my drill when the coil winds back on itself, but it never seems to come out perfect. I suppose I just need more practice with it.
Grimm Green has a YouTube for Easy Clapton wire, that is what I watched and got me going.

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Late to the party. But I have 2 of the original alliance RDA's and a v2. I really haven't messed with the v2 much as I like the original. The v1 has been my everyday beater for about a year. On the v2 I have, the machining seems a little sloppier. And nearly as tall as the mod with the extra heat sink attached.

Back on topic. I just picked up a BMI Goldie Rda. The blue anodized to go with my blue Cricket. To tired to dig it out for a pic. Must say the quality of this rda is impeccable. It looks like a Rip Tripper line: sick as.....

I personally haven't had much luck with clones. I try to stick to authentics that are around $50 or less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread