Choosing atomizers to try dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

greenpang

Apr 3, 2013
Raleigh, NC
My husband and I would like to sample a lot of different flavors and try dripping, so I've read through a lot of the posts here. I put together information to begin to figure this all out, but I still have a lot of questions.

We have eGo-T (upgrade) and eGo-C (upgrade) batteries with the two voltage settings: 3.3 and ~3.7. And we've only used clearos so far.

Cisco atomizers have been recommended by many, so I've been looking at AvidVaper's products. I was thinking of getting us two different atomizers so we can try more than one kind.

Questions:

1. Resistance: I've looked over this voltage chart (and I realize this is subjective and not an exact science) -- it looks like we should be aiming for 2.0 ohm resistance, given our 3.3-3.7 voltage range?

2. AEROs: One possibility I'm considering is getting us one AERO 306 Bridgeless and one AERO 510 Bridgeless, but these are only available in 1.5ohm -- which could damage our coils at the higher voltage and would not provide optimal vape (in this person's opinion)? And what does bridgeless mean?

3. Cisco Spec 2.0ohm LR306/510/901: Alternatively, we could go with these. In this case, I guess we would get one 306 and one 901 to try each end of the spectrum (more throat hit vs. more flavor)? Or would you recommend the 510s?

4. Battery compatibility: Do all of these options work with our batteries?

5. Drip tips: In addition to the atomizers we choose, we should then get compatible drip tips -- by either a different kind of drip tip (e.g., 306 and 901) for each of the atomizers, or 510/901 drip tips with a 306 adapter?

6. Drip shields/cones: And it seems like we should also get these, especially since we are inexperienced? What's the difference between drip shield and drip cone?

7. Anything else: Would we need anything else in addition to the above?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

mace bewley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2009
Rogers AR
As far as the 306/510/901, I prefer the 510 cause it is a happy medium. But if at all possible try each cause they each bring something different to the table...... And as you have probably heard each vaper is different!

I would recommend a small bottle of VG. Vape a couple drops of straight VG when switching flavors to help get rid of any flavor that might linger around when switching juices.

durgidog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2012
memphis, tn
www.thomasin.com
1. Resistance: I've looked over this voltage chart (and I realize this is subjective and not an exact science) -- it looks like we should be aiming for 2.0 ohm resistance, given our 3.3-3.7 voltage range?

Personally I prefer 1.5ohm, but I'd start with whatever resistance you like for your clearos.

2. AEROs: One possibility I'm considering is getting us one AERO 306 Bridgeless and one AERO 510 Bridgeless, but these are only available in 1.5ohm -- which could damage our coils at the higher voltage and would not provide optimal vape (in this person's opinion)? And what does bridgeless mean?

Lots of people like Aeros. As I said, 1.5ohms is my preferred vape at 3.7, I use higher resistances at higher volts, many people vape this way - no need to worry about any damage. Low res atties were made for using at 3.7 volts. 306 is a different battery connection than the 510 on your egos so you will need a 306-510 adapter. 306's are great but not easy to learn with, they produce a very warm vape and come with their own drip tips.

Here's a post on bridgeless atties, that's what I prefer:
http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s/288819-what-bridgeless-atomizer-better.html

3. Cisco Spec 2.0ohm LR306/510/901: Alternatively, we could go with these. In this case, I guess we would get one 306 and one 901 to try each end of the spectrum (more throat hit vs. more flavor)? Or would you recommend the 510s?

Cisco's are highly recommended, again 901 is a different connection and you will need an adapter, I suggest you start with 510 since you have 510 devices.

4. Battery compatibility: Do all of these options work with our batteries?

yes, with appropriate adapters if necessary.

5. Drip tips: In addition to the atomizers we choose, we should then get compatible drip tips -- by either a different kind of drip tip (e.g., 306 and 901) for each of the atomizers, or 510/901 drip tips with a 306 adapter?

306 comes with a drip tip, most 510 drip tips fit 901 atties.

6. Drip shields/cones: And it seems like we should also get these, especially since we are inexperienced? What's the difference between drip shield and drip cone?

I use drip shields (but not all the time). They aren't mandatory, but they look nice and they hold in leaks fairly well so are good for newbies to use. I've never seen a drip shield small enough to fit a 306, I use them with 510s. I've also never seen a drip cone, but I'm wondering if it's an ego threaded drip shield.

7. Anything else: Would we need anything else in addition to the above?

Nope. I'm a die hard dripper - good luck!

Last edited:

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
What do you mean 306 and 510 don't share the same connection? A 306 has a 510 connection, it's just narrower than a standard 510 atomizer.

Granted, the old style j108 had a 510 connection, but the center pin was extremely recessed so it wouldn't work on any other device. Maybe the old 306 was the same, but all if the newer ones work fine on any 510 connection. So you don't need an adapter between 306 and 510.

I'm not a fan of the 306, but I only used 2 atomizers from LiteCig. The draw is extremely stiff, and since I only use automatics they are unusable for me. I prefer the j108 atomizers at Modern Vapor, aka the Sidesho. You can also get them at LJEsmokes under the name Mini Viper. Much easier draw, good throat hit and they have a higher bridge than the 306 so they're a little more forgiving when it comes to over-dripping.

An eGo drip shield is just a cone-shaped drip shield for anything with eGo threading. A regular drip shield is useless on a 510 unless you're using a 510-510 adapter.

A standard atomizer has a bridge, which is a u-shaped or v-shaped piece of metal covered in stainless mesh over the atomizer. With the original cart system, this helped to wick the liquid on to the atomizer. A bridgeless atomizer has this piece removed. For automatics I find the bridge to be useful, but whether you use auto or manual a bridgeless atomizer has a steeper learning curve and holds less juice.

Good luck.

caged

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Laurel, MD
Cisco 306 is awesome. Wasn't as impressed with their standard 510. It wasn't bad but it wasn't special like their 306 is. Haven't tried their hybrids.

Ikenvape also has good atomizers. I like really their i06, but they are never in stock so I always end up ordering 306s from Avid Vaper instead. i06 has better flavor. Cisco 306 has a better hit.

Johnnie Price

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2012
Waldorf, MD
I have another question, new vaper here. When I go to look at ego atomizers the ask if I want type a or type b. What is the difference and which should I use with my ego t's and ego c's? I really wanna do this. Please help.
An eGo Type A is conical, like an eGo cone. The Type B is a straight tube. If you're using a cart, or a tank for the eGo-T or eGo-C, the Type B holds a little more liquid. Type A atomizers are more common, but I'm not sure if there are any other differences between the two.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Diana... one thing you should know is that the 306, 510 and ego (all made by Joytech), all use the same threading. In other words, you can use atomizers from all, on the batteries for all.

So, you don't need an ego atomizer if you are using an ego.

I would guess that almost all of the 306 and 510 atomizers sold by avid vapor, are NOT used on the native 306 and 510 batteries. Rather, they are used on egos and all the various mods.

The main difference between the 306 and the 510, is that the 306 is cigarette sized while the 510 is a bit bigger. Also, the 306 is considered 'open bridged' as the tube that covers the coil is part of the mouthpiece and thus you can see the atomizer coil. On the 510, the tube is part of the atomizer and you thus cannot really see the coil.

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania

Lots of people like Aeros. As I said, 1.5ohms is my preferred vape at 3.7, I use higher resistances at higher volts, many people vape this way - no need to worry about any damage. Low res atties were made for using at 3.7 volts. 306 is a different battery connection than the 510 on your egos so you will need a 306-510 adapter. 306's are great but not easy to learn with, they produce a very warm vape and come with their own drip tips.

Hmmm... maybe it is not that big a deal, but IMO the LR atomizers (1.5 ohms) were made to be used on the ego... which is a regulated 3.4 volts.

If you try to use a 306 LR on a 306 battery, or try to use a 510 LR on a 510 battery, it will kill those batteries real fast. They only have around 150 (306) or 180 (510) MAH though you can get larger ones, hard to get anything that has the base ego MAH of 650.

Yeah, the Joytech 306 and 510 SR atomizers (2.3 ohms) were made for the 306 and 510, and are about as low as you should go on those batteries. The LRs were made for the ego and is probably a sweet spot for the ego.

P.S. Yes, as one poster mentioned... you do NOT need an adaptor to use a 306 atomizer on an ego battery.

Last edited:

Zaratoughda

ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2011
NE Pennsylvania
Oh, I should mention... the avid vapor drip shield cone... is for ego batteries. It does NOT screw into the ego threadings, but instead fits over the projecting part of the ego and, works as it should. If you get one of the other drip shields you will have to get a 510 to 510 adaptor for it to work. You also need the XL drip tips for this to work.

Yeah, I got these and tried them once and they are just sitting there. Lots of people use drip shields and then there are those that do not want them. Besides holding any juice that otherwise might drip, they also tend to give a bit warmer vape, IMO due to the drip shield holding the heat in better.

Yeah, was a bit ticked off after I bought these when I realized I could have gotten the same from EmpireMods for around half the price. Yeah, IMO Empire Mods is selling these really cheap as a matter of popularizing their other products, while Avid Vapor, is taking the opposite approach (selling accessiories at higher prices that you could find otherwise... sometimes not worth looking here and there just to get the cheapest price).

Also picked up an aluminum drip tip from Avid Vapor... LOL... the mouth on this one is maybe TWICE the size of the regular delrin 306 drip tips that AV sells. It has also just been sitting there. Guess those that normally use 510 atties and the like, might like these if they want to try a 306 atty.

To be honest, I like AV because they really have about as much as you could get for the 306, while other places, like EmpireMods, maybe have a few things for the 306 but not much. Others of course like the 510 versions of cisco atties. Their prices though, are not cheap.

Last edited:

greenpang

Apr 3, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Thanks to everyone for your help!

We just placed orders with five different vendors for all our dripping supplies...
1. Avid Vaper - Two Cisco Spec 1.5 ohm atomizers
2. Madvapes - Two drip tips, two drip guards
3. want2vape - sampler pack, 10 juices (3 ml bottles)
4. Heather's Heavenly Vapes - sampler pack, 4 juices (3 ml bottles)
5. Namber Juice - two juices (15 ml bottles)

Definitely excited to try dripping and all of these great juices. Just have to get through the two weeks or so until everything gets here while we vape away on our e-juice equivalents of Coors Light. At least we don't know any better yet.

greenpang

Apr 3, 2013
Raleigh, NC
All of our dripping stuff and new juices came today!!

We were so excited, but hubby keeps getting the poop end of the stick. Obviously there's a learning curve with dripping... I think we're doing okay, but he keeps having such unpleasant issues.

First of all, his set-up doesn't fit. We each picked out drip tips and drip shields, and the because of the shape of his drip tip, his drip shield doesn't fit on the atty, so we need to get him a 510-to-510 adapter/extender. For the first hour or so, he was just using his without the drip shield, and we were both trying each of the flavors in our own devices, but he kept tasting all of the previous flavors as well while I was not (and we were both dripping pure glycerin between each flavor switch).

We weren't sure if the lack of drip shield on his may have had something to do with that, so we started using only mine, and he keeps ending up with juice in his mouth or burning. He was really looking forward to this but is having a pretty annoying experience. He just asked me, "Are there any ECF people who HATE dripping???"

Poor guy!

I guess we all forget how terrible it was when we were kids learning how to smoke analogs. At least the "pains" associated with learning how to vape are actually worth it!

greenpang

Apr 3, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I think we've figured out the problem. It's really true -- there are so many variations and options for vaping experiences, and preferences can differ wildly and unexpectedly.

My husband and I were very, very similar smokers. When we were selecting our dripping hardware and deciding on 1.5/1.8/2.0 ohms resistance, he was the one who strongly insisted on the lower resistance. He thought he wanted the "burn."

Not the case. Now that we've gotten the hang of this a bit more, that's his complaint. I vape the same thing right after he does, and I'm good. But it's too harsh to him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread