Coil installation question

Status
Not open for further replies.

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
Thank you for your response, but does.anyone have a video that shows it being done with a 3 post rda?
I guess I could be imagining there is a better way of centering the coil. I think there must be a better way.
You might want to look on You Tube there are lots of coil building videos P Busardo has done many of them

Vapen8

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
You might want to look on You Tube there are lots of coil building videos P Busardo has done many of them
Oh man I feel like a dipsit. Lol I usually go to you tube for these things. I saw a guy bend a couple 90° into the tails to center the coil, but whenever I try it I'm off by too much or the coil sticks out too much. I was hoping to find a sure fire eddy on here.
Funny to see a veteran asking newb questions isn't it. Lol
I'm good at building my coils, and they always work ok, to be honest they could be more even. I was putting s builds together and I realized, the forum might have a methodical sure fire way to seat a coil even and centered.

Last edited:

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Bending the legs is going to be the way to get them neatest, for sure. They don't have to be perfectly centered to work, though, as long as your wick fits. Most of the time I build in my three-posts I don't bother getting the coils absolutely centered as long as they are close, firing well, and the cotton fits. Some coils are springier and/or more fragile than others and you don't want to push them too much anyway. If you are not comfortable bending the leads to get them centered, sometimes you're better off just accepting that a little off-center isn't the end of the world.

Reactions: subwayaznm

subwayaznm

A Geek with a Cool slice
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2016
USA
Oh man I feel like a dipsit. Lol I usually go to you tube for these things. I saw a guy bend a couple 90° into the tails to center the coil, but whenever I try it I'm off by too much or the coil sticks out too much. I was hoping to find a sure fire eddy on here.
Funny to see a veteran asking newb questions isn't it. Lol
I'm good at building my coils, and they always work ok, to be honest they could be more even. I was putting s builds together and I realized, the forum might have a methodical sure fire way to seat a coil even and centered.
I just build simple single Micro Coil. I don't Sub Ohm Vape. Centering the Coil with the Air hole is just playing a bit once your coil is basically in place; I will tighten it down with a little wiggle room and stick my bit back in to get it to the desired position. Leave the bit in place and do the final tighten. And You Tube taught me that. :)

Vapen8

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
Bending the legs is going to be the way to get them neatest, for sure. They don't have to be perfectly centered to work, though, as long as your wick fits. Most of the time I build in my three-posts I don't bother getting the coils absolutely centered as long as they are close, firing well, and the cotton fits. Some coils are springier and/or more fragile than others and you don't want to push them too much anyway. If you are not comfortable bending the leads to get them centered, sometimes you're better off just accepting that a little off-center isn't the end of the world.
Ya, that's how I've been getting by. I bend as well as I can and push a little. I just had a builds where the lead got in the way of my wick, Shi I had to tuck the cotton behind the lead. It got me wondering if I'm doing it wrong.

Vapen8

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
This is a Clapton build, I will likely squeeze the wraps together better when I re wick it.
There's a pic of each side and one to view.
20160822_175439-1.jpg

Any comments or thoughts?
20160822_175259-1.jpg

20160822_174700-1.jpg

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
Yeah, first of all, I didn't realize you were talking about a split positive post. That's at least better than a three post, three post-hole set-up.

Instead of using the positive post hole closer to the negative, use the one on the far side. This makes things so much easier. It will force your coils to be more centered, you don't have to bend your leads so extremely or at all, and don't have to worry about how close the clipped leads are coming to that bent wire.

All you need is a pair of good wire cutters with a small head so you can get behind the coil to trim the second lead when doing duals, but yeah, I amost always use the far positive post hole when working with a split. There are some exceptions, but they're few and far between for me.

In case I'm being unclear, here are your post holes: () () () ()

instead of putting the leads for your first coil here: (x) (x) () (), put them here: (x) () (x) ().

And then do the same on the opposite side, of course.

I think that's a huge part of your problem, personally.

Last edited:

Vapen8

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
Yeah, first of all, I didn't realize you were talking about a split positive post. That's at least better than a three post, three post-hole set-up.

Instead of using the positive post hole closer to the negative, use the one on the far side. This makes things so much easier. It will force your coils to be more centered, you don't have to bend your leads so extremely or at all, and don't have to worry about how close the clipped leads are coming to that bent wire.

All you need is a pair of good wire cutters with a small head so you can get behind the coil to trim the second lead when doing duals, but yeah, I amost always use the far positive post hole when working with a split. There are some exceptions, but they're few and far between for me.

In case I'm being unclear, here are your post holes: () () () ()

instead of putting the leads for your first coil here: (x) (x) () (), put them here: (x) () (x) ().

And then do the same on the opposite side, of course.

I think that's a huge part of your problem, personally.

I got ya, I have tried that and the only problem is the lead from the second coil goes through the middle of the first coil.

I did see the same thing you're talking about when I uploaded the pictures. I think I can maybe push the first coil over a bit so the second coils lead wont gpu through the first coil.

McAnythingReally

ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2015
Albany, NY
Follow exactly what Ddirtyvapes had said for placement of your coil. Not trying to knock you at all, since we all have to learn as we go with coils, but I am actually sorta impressed at the creativity you used to get the leads in, Ive seen a lot of attempts, and frankly your mind was in the right place. But for coil building you want to do what was said, and use the opposite post holes to allow the coil to naturally center.

A couple other points to help you out:
-Start with Naked Wire builds, leave the claptons and everything else alone for a bit, and get used to working with plain wire. It is a lot more forgiving, and allows you better control and manipulation of the coil.
-Take a small screwdriver or pair of pliers, and push the lead going into the negative post towards the rest of the coil, this will help the leg bend in, and make it so that the cotton is not so restricted on the one side(Took me a while to learn this myself)
- Make sure your cotton falls completely outside of the coil(you have it running between the coil and the outer leg leading to the negative post.) The cotton should come out and over the negative post leg into the deck, not between wraps
-Try not to have your leads overlap themselves(See picture #3, where the last wrap going into the positive post overlaps the wrap before it). You want your coil to be even across the whole thing, having gaps and overlaps allows for cotton to not make contact, leading to hot spots and a not so nice vape
- Invest in a small pair of wire cutters(Flush cutters preferably) so that you can trim your leads to be even with the posts. This will allow you the freedom to sit your coils where you would like, and not have to worry about creating shorts because the leads are sticking out from the posts.

Keep practicing, and watching videos on youtube, and youll be making great coils in no time. Just remember to not get frustrated, and take it slow as you learn. Everybody has to start somewhere, and we all took time to learn coil building for ourselves. Keep learning, and asking questions, and youll be making perfect coils in no time.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
FLUSH CUTTERS, thank you @McAnythingReally, I couldn't think of the name. Jeez.

I really don't have much else to add because there's a lot of good advice above but yeah, just try it with the staggered post holes. I swear it will be a night and day difference. Again, the lead going through the second coil is no big deal at all. Either move the coil temporarily or when you clip the lead it can be fixed.

I also second the suggestion to try some plain wire before moving to claptons and whatnot. Claptons are nice but I have been building for a long time now and I still enjoy a plain 24g kanthal or nichrome build on occasion.

Do you have more than one RDA? Once someone decides they like building I usually recommend a second rebuildable-- even a super duper cheapo clone-- as soon as possible, so you can practice on one deck while continuing to vape on the other.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
I got ya, I have tried that and the only problem is the lead from the second coil goes through the middle of the first coil.

I did see the same thing you're talking about when I uploaded the pictures. I think I can maybe push the first coil over a bit so the second coils lead wont gpu through the first coil.

If you simply cut one of the leads short enough to just fit through the center post before you mount your coils, you won't have to worry about that.

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
Any particular reason you attached them to the nearest middle post-hole and not the far one? For example if you number the posts (1), (2,3), (4), you attached one coil from 1 to 2 and the other one 3-4, where I would have gone from 1-3 and 2-4.
(I should learn to read the whole thread before replying...)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread