Status
Not open for further replies.

mlinky

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2010
Kentucky
I know I have far fewer colds and my sinuses for the first time in my life perform normally, and it's alomost 2 years of vaping for me as well! This Winter Air in the house really is starting to annoy me though, time for some heat and humidity. PLEASE!!
Excellent thread.

True!! I bought my first humidifier. :)

Xzelian

Mar 6, 2011
Midlothian, VA
I was also initially worried about the idea of inhaling a "fluid." But as a vapor of two years myself I would like to throw some points out that will hopefully put this concern to rest.

a) look at the volume.
we think if this as "liquid" but even if you hit a 2 mil clear carto over a day you are actually inhaling less liquid then water vapor in an average shower within 15 minutes.

b) Its not all water.
As others have mentioned the main liquid is PG or VG. Both of these are essentially single molocule sugars. Essentially what this means is that the body can take and process this directly from the blood stream, and is not likely to "build up" in the lungs.

c) If inhaling PG was dangerous on a long term level we'd be seeing Carnies and stage dancers dropping from exposure.

Just some points to think about

-Ed

cmcc

Mar 3, 2011
New Jersey
I was also initially worried about the idea of inhaling a "fluid." But as a vapor of two years myself I would like to throw some points out that will hopefully put this concern to rest.

a) look at the volume.
we think if this as "liquid" but even if you hit a 2 mil clear carto over a day you are actually inhaling less liquid then water vapor in an average shower within 15 minutes.

b) Its not all water.
As others have mentioned the main liquid is PG or VG. Both of these are essentially single molocule sugars. Essentially what this means is that the body can take and process this directly from the blood stream, and is not likely to "build up" in the lungs.

c) If inhaling PG was dangerous on a long term level we'd be seeing Carnies and stage dancers dropping from exposure.

Just some points to think about

-Ed

Maybe VG and PG are safe, but what about the flavors? Even if they are FDA approved for food use, are they really tested for the safety of direct inhalation?

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
Maybe VG and PG are safe, but what about the flavors? Even if they are FDA approved for food use, are they really tested for the safety of direct inhalation?

I don't know much about the flavorings. That's why I DO NOT recommend these products for non-smokers. I can tell you that IMO, even if the flavorings were made of cyanide, they'd be less harmful then continuing to smoke cigarettes (which do contain cyanide and a bunch of other poisons).

Kargonet

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2010
Abilene, Texas
live in texas -- i can almost relate to that comment -- but florida has far worse humidity

I'm not sure what part of Texas you live in but Midland, Odessa and Lubbock blew into town today. Sky is absolutely red. So if our lungs had condensation in them people that live here would have mud balls today! Yack.

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
It never ceases to amaze me how we can inhale the waste gasses of combustion for years then worry about fda approved flavorings...am I missing something?????

I sort of understand the concern... most of us are here because we don't want to die so young, it makes sense to find out if e-cigs will make us live longer or die even quicker.

smirkette

Feb 15, 2011
San Francisco, CA
I've only been vaping about a month, but I *am* an asthmatic (smacks self) and I have noticed a huge difference in my lung capacity, ease of breathing, etc. since switching. I was never a heavy smoker--1-2 ultra lights a day, some days none--but boyhowdy, I woke up knowing whether or not I'd smoked the day before. No such issues with vaping (although I also don't inhale much; I treat it more like a pipe or cigar).

Zal42

ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2011
Oregon
It never ceases to amaze me how we can inhale the waste gasses of combustion for years then worry about fda approved flavorings...am I missing something?????

Me too. It's an interesting psychological phenomenon.

The bottom line is that the flavorings are the only unknown, health-wise. It's reasonable to wonder about them. However, there have been many people heavily vaping for at least five years, and I haven't heard of a single one who has suffered any kind of serious health consequences because of it. So the only question, in my mind, is what happens when you vape heavily for a very long time. It might be bad for you, it might not -- but smoking over the long term is unquestionably bad for you.

So, in terms of comparative risk, vaping wins handily. When i smoked, I didn't lose sleep about the health consequences, and I'm certainly not going to start doing so with vaping.

tpoff55

Jun 5, 2010
Washington
I started vaping last April and havn't had a cold, flue or broncitis (sp). I smoked 1-2 packs a day and had a bout of broncitis once a month several colds and the flue at least one time a year. I feel great! I have no cough, I can breath with no wheezing and don't get winded going up the staires. I vape about 3 mils a day. I find I drink more water then I use to when I smoked but that is good for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread