Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined.
Ive started mixing my own flavours and was wondering if any one has managed to successfully deconstruct and reconstruct some of the "higher end" flavours you can buy
Are you looking for blenders who offer high end flavour extracts for mixing (DIY) your own e liquid?

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Hi,,,im new to the forum.
Ive been vaping for almost a year now and doing cartwheels that im finally off the coffin nails.
Ive started mixing my own flavours and was wondering if any one has managed to successfully deconstruct and reconstruct some of the "higher end" flavours you can buy???
Thanks in advance...

What does that mean exactly ? I have lots of higher end flavors but that doesn't mean your mixes will be great .

It takes extreme dedication and ridiculous amounts of trial and error to concoct truly outstanding recipes imo . I was shocked just how much trial and error some mixers go through to perfect their juices , it's mind boggling .

Reactions: YoursTruli

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
You're talking about high end JUICES, right? And you want to know if anyone has been able to come up with recipes to copy those high end juices? Yes. They're called clone recipes. :) You can do a search here on the forum, or you can do an internet search with the name of the juice you want to make and "clone recipe" and see what comes up. I've been making LOTS of "high end" juices of late, and I must say they're turning out very good, and I'm having a blast.

@poohbah seriously, it's this easy. Measure out your nic base and put it in your bottle. Measure out your flavors and put them in the bottle. Top up with VG and/or PG. Shake. This assumes you have a recipe in hand, but you can make a small sample bottle of something with no nic just to see how it tastes.

And look, here's a black licorice flavor:

Black Licorice-FW

One of the reviews says it's good at 10% so you could start there, and then add some menthol flavoring. If you want strong menthol, use around 5%, if you want very mild, use 2%, or anywhere in the middle.

And here's a menthol. I use this one and I like it, but there are others on that site.

Menthol - Cap

Just play, and surprise yourself with something yummy! It is SOOOOO EASY, especially with a recipe calculator, and there are several of those online. Most of the people here use EJuicemeup, I believe. I use a different one, but everyone seems to like EJuicemeup, so go for it. :)

nyiddle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2014
USA. State: Inebriated.
Thanks for the replies... By high end flavours i mean the more expensive ones out there,,,and tbh,,there are some good ones,,

Heh, the oft-accepted opinion on this forum is that "high end" juices don't really offer much more than a fancy bottle/label/packaging. They're using the same flavorings you or I could buy from the various companies (TFA, FW, Capella, etc.) and just slapping a nice label on it so they can sell it at a premium price.

So with that in mind, yes, there are a lot of great "clone" recipes on this forum and all over the Internet. Another great resource is ..................... It's basically an organized repository offering a lot of consolidated information on individual flavorings as well as complex recipes that use 4+ flavorings. They also feature a "warning" list that notes flavorings which have been shown to contain diacetyl/AP, which (for some of us) is very useful.

Some clone recipes are better than others, but a big part of the fun is in experimenting/tweaking, whether you have an "end-goal" flavor in mind or not.

ETA:

I have no idea why that site is blocked on this forum. It's an excellent resource and isn't actively selling or advertising any products (okay it has a few ads, but it's not actively selling stuff from the actual website). Here's a shortened link to the site:

e-Liquid Calculator

Billy3929

Feb 9, 2016
You're talking about high end JUICES, right? And you want to know if anyone has been able to come up with recipes to copy those high end juices? Yes. They're called clone recipes. :) You can do a search here on the forum, or you can do an internet search with the name of the juice you want to make and "clone recipe" and see what comes up. I've been making LOTS of "high end" juices of late, and I must say they're turning out very good, and I'm having a blast.

@poohbah seriously, it's this easy. Measure out your nic base and put it in your bottle. Measure out your flavors and put them in the bottle. Top up with VG and/or PG. Shake. This assumes you have a recipe in hand, but you can make a small sample bottle of something with no nic just to see how it tastes.

And look, here's a black licorice flavor:

Black Licorice-FW

One of the reviews says it's good at 10% so you could start there, and then add some menthol flavoring. If you want strong menthol, use around 5%, if you want very mild, use 2%, or anywhere in the middle.

And here's a menthol. I use this one and I like it, but there are others on that site.

Menthol - Cap

Just play, and surprise yourself with something yummy! It is SOOOOO EASY, especially with a recipe calculator, and there are several of those online. Most of the people here use EJuicemeup, I believe. I use a different one, but everyone seems to like EJuicemeup, so go for it. :)

Thanks!!!!! Ill have a go at the weekend,,, ordered a dripper, new mod and 20 new flavours!!!!
Taking it to the next level lol,,,
If it keeps me interested ill stay off the cigs,,,,

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Heh, the oft-accepted opinion on this forum is that "high end" juices don't really offer much more than a fancy bottle/label/packaging. They're using the same flavorings you or I could buy from the various companies (TFA, FW, Capella, etc.) and just slapping a nice label on it so they can sell it at a premium price.

So with that in mind, yes, there are a lot of great "clone" recipes on this forum and all over the Internet. Another great resource is ..................... It's basically an organized repository offering a lot of consolidated information on individual flavorings as well as complex recipes that use 4+ flavorings. They also feature a "warning" list that notes flavorings which have been shown to contain diacetyl/AP, which (for some of us) is very useful.

Some clone recipes are better than others, but a big part of the fun is in experimenting/tweaking, whether you have an "end-goal" flavor in mind or not.

ETA:

I have no idea why that site is blocked on this forum. It's an excellent resource and isn't actively selling or advertising any products (okay it has a few ads, but it's not actively selling stuff from the actual website). Here's a shortened link to the site:

e-Liquid Calculator

Here is a great clone site :

I pick the clones that have the best ratings and the most reviews , the recipes developer also tells you what brand of flavorings they used.

Clone Recipes | Homemade E-juice Recipes

Reactions: Lannie

Steamix

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Vapistan
If it was that easy ...

... professional flavourists/perfumers wouldn't get the king's ransom they actually getting paid by their employers.

De-constructing or reverse engineering a chunk of machinery where you can pull one bolt or nut after the other to discover its inner workings is one thing. Flavours/fragrances is a different kettle of fish.

Sure, to make vanilla flavour, you WILL need vanillin to some extent, but the real thing (vanilla ) is 200-odd components.

TFA/TPA is one of the few outfits that offer 'molecules' i.e. the base aromas to compose a flavour/fragrance.
Its a loong list. And the makers of the 'hi-end' juices are using these too. But coitenly they ain't gonna tell ya how much of which :D .
Cuz some components enhance each other, some cancel each other out. Some combine well, some might make you retch in the wrong composition/percentage. And percentage, hooo, more often than not we're talking ppm rather than percent, as some of the 'pure molecules' are very powerful flavourwise..

And your bottle of liquid isn't something static, like any decent wine, it still 'works' after bottling.

Thats why you have steeping times, for instance. Same juice might taste like burnt socks the first week, like ambrosia the third.

An experienced flavourist/perfumer with an intimate knowledge of all the 'molecules' might have a fair idea what to mix together for a passable clone, but them dealing with that kind of stuff day in and day out.

For us DIY'ers ... trial and error, educated guesses and especially swapping notes in this 'ere forum is the way to go.

If someone concocted a decent clone - great :)
If its posted here ( or elsewhere ) its probably up for grabs.
If you come up with a real palate-pleaser, posting it will sure get you appreciation from fellow DIYers

No need to re-invent the wheel over and over - we leave that to the ANTZ :D

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I went the opposite way, how little flavor can I use and still enjoy my vape. My daily vape has 1% flavoring and tastes fine. Today I tried some full strengh pre mix and found it overwhelming, too much. When I cut pre mix 75% it still tastes strong. What I'm vaping now tastes good but there is virtually no odor so vaping at work is much less likely to annoy somebody. Another benefit, if a few drops leak in my pocket I don't reek with it. Monster flavors have their downsides and aren't so necessary.

Last edited:

Lannie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 6, 2015
The windy plains of South Dakota
It might not be easy to re-create a "high end" juice EXACTLY, but it IS easy to create a perfectly wonderful DIY juice that tastes so close to the original that you can't tell the difference. Or a new combination of flavors that suits your individual tastes (but maybe no one else's!). I love to create new and different foods in the kitchen, using different combinations of ingredients and spices and such, and this is much the same, so I'm taking to DIY like a fish to water. I still haven't made one I don't like. Some I like BETTER than others, but they're all good. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread