Definitive Answer for eVic + RBAs (RSST?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

humpstyles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hey guys, semi long post ahead. I'm hoping for answers to a few questions.

Been using the eVic for about 3 months now. Love it. Have only used EVODs and a PT3 on it so far, but I am looking to delve into the world of RBAs.

I understand that RBAs are the vanilla to Mech mods' chocolate due to sub-ohm standards, but the potentiality of danger while using mechs is a turn off for me. I know that exercising precaution will eliminate any sort of danger whilst using them, but I enjoy the thought of a hazardless device altogether.

With mech mods temporarily out of the question for me, putting an RBA on the eVic seems like a great idea. In order to do this, I'd obviously have to build above a 1.0 (or 1.5? I forget) ohm in order for the eVic to not think it's being shorted. I've been eyeballing the Smok Tech RSST (now made with Pyrex :D) as it is arguably the best beginner RBA possible. Watched a ton of reviews on YT, did some browsing on ECF, etc. Looks like I could wrap this thing no problem.

I guess my main question then is rather vague. I am wondering if RBAs are considered "the next step" if you are merely using them on a regulated mod such as an eVic. If I get the single coil RSST and build a 1.8 on it, am I going to experience better flavor / vape production than what I am getting on an EVOD or a PT3? I know the lower gauge wire, the lower the ohm, so I'd stick with 30 or 32 ga. (Another quick question would be what makes a microcoil, a microcoil? Would the wraps need to be touching?)

I just love the look/style/ability/idea of an RBA, and would like to start building them on regulated mods before jumping into mechs. I also that most of the more popular ones would look gnarly on an eVic with a flat top-cap :hubba:

Before you ask, I have everything (I think) I need to start building: multimeter, SS mesh, ekowool, org cotton, kanthal 30 and 32 ga., drill bits, pliers, and of course a handy dandy desktop magnifier.

Thanks in advance guys <3

hump

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA
I've seen too many struggles dealing with the mesh wick, so I went with the Kayfun/Russian clones, pretty easy to build on. You'll have to stay above 1.2, no matter what, but I'd maybe try a micro-coil rebuild of one if your Evod heads as a next step. 7 or 8 wraps of that 30g would be a nice starting point, wicked with the cotton. Loads of videos and posts in the forum on doing that.

humpstyles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the responses, guys. Pretty similar answers.

I've seen too many struggles dealing with the mesh wick, so I went with the Kayfun/Russian clones, pretty easy to build on. You'll have to stay above 1.2, no matter what, but I'd maybe try a micro-coil rebuild of one if your Evod heads as a next step. 7 or 8 wraps of that 30g would be a nice starting point, wicked with the cotton. Loads of videos and posts in the forum on doing that.

I've built a few heads my my EVOD with Ekowool, but I didn't have a torch at the time and they tasted terrible. I have yet to build cotton on it, but it seems that would be a lot easier than the Ekowool. I guess this would be a logical first step, although RBA builds seem a little more obvious than kanger head builds.

If you get an rsst try micro coils and cotton. If you still haven't purchased one get a tobeco kayfun and toss a 1.5 micro coil with cotton in and you will have a great vape.

I have heard countless times to avoid the KFL/R91 clones and to buy authentic since it really makes the difference. This is why I wanted to start cheap on an RSST. I really like the look of it too, especially with Pyrex (need to wait til after the Chinese New Year when they're restocked c2c Vaping, $25).

So I take it you're both using these on an eVic? Are your KFL/R91 clones single or dual coil? Is the vape production and flavor that much better? I am not cloudchasing whatsoever, but I am ready for the next step for my eVic, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
In answer to your direct question, RBA's on a regulated device like the evic are great and, yes, you will most definitely get a better vape than with an evod or other clearomizer.

Like others, I'd recommend a microcoil with cotton wick (plenty of how-to vids on YT). I've used these on an RSST with wonderful success. They're easier than mesh to set up (IMO) and maintenance is trivial (just pull a dirty wick out with tweezers and feed through a new one after dry burning the coil).

As for the RBA itself, the RSST is a great tank setup - very large platform to work with and forgiving in terms of coil placement and attachment. I personally feel the vape from a kayfun is better (many would agree), but the RSST is still a vast improvement over the clearos. The clone horror stories you're hearing about the kayfun are regarding the really cheap ones - better clones like the tobeco and ehpro versions work pretty darn good (I'm vaping on one as I write this).

Sthur

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Denver
Here is my KFL tobeco clone on my evic. I like mine on my mech or my evic depends on build. I mostly prefer 1.6-1.8 micro coils. You can find them for 50 bucks.

image.jpg

jchamb2

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Cleburne, tx
While I won't go into all the options of coil building, which RBA and all that, I highly recommend the Evic for use when you start building your own coils.

Not only will it tell you the number of ohms of your coil, it will also tell you if you have a short or open circuit. I have an old multimeter, but I prefer the Evic as it tells me exactly what's going on.

I have a Kayfun 3.1 clone, Kayfun lite clone and an Aqua clone. They are all excellent, and I can't think of a reason to get the "real" models, as the clones that I have are all well made and seem to work beautifully. Having said that, I highly recommend that you spend $12-$15 bucks and get an IGO-L (or W or whatever). They are great to practice your coil building skills, and along with the Evic, make a great (outstanding) vape.

I got my IGO because I make my own ejuice and wanted a dripper so that I could put in a few drops and test my recipes - turns out that I loved it so much that I use it instead of a tank about half the time.
I just added to my collection and got an SVD also, it's good, but not nearly as handy as the Evic!

Spazmelda

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2011
Ohio
Everything I've rda indicates many of the KFL clones are quite nice. I bought a KFL+ and an EHPro clone. I ended up selling the KFL+ And getting another EHPro. There are some slight quality differences, but the EHPro clones are very nice.

I did a picture comparison of the two: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...ms/515492-side-side-pics-kfl-ehpro-clone.html

Oh, and that reminds me that I was going to post one additional observation to that thread. I'll do that now.

Plumes.91

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2012
United States
Don't know if you've already bought the Evic, but I wanted to remind you that the Evic can only go to 5 volts, or 11 watts. This basically means that it has a 2 amp limit. This, in comparison to the Provari's 2.5 amp limit, or the Zmax v5, which has a 4 amp limit. This basically means that you won't get anywhere NEAR the wattage you would get from a mechanical or other VV/VW mods. The Evic is a fantastic vape and a really fun mod to have. Its great for beginners & allows you to track your vaping & what you enjoy. But it is NOT the best mod for rebuilding or for getting large clouds, and I wouldn't have it as my top pick for a VV/VW mod for someone looking to get into rebuilding or even low resistance clearomizers. It'll work, and it'll vape really good, but it won't work or vape GREAT when the time comes where you'll really want it to. So for this reason, I'd recommend to you the Zmax V5 or the Vamo or anything that goes to 6 volts.

Also, I would also recommend the Kayfun clones. I don't own one, but they are growing in popularity so very quickly for a good reason. They have a revolutionary design that draws juice to the coils in a way no other tank does, and they do it very well, all the while allowing you to use silica or cotton yarn/thread. This is a huge incentive for me personally. I don't like mesh because it gives most juices a metallic or citrus-like taste in my opinion, and you cant go to walmart to pick more up when you run out.

With that said, the RSST is 1 of the best starter Genesis atomizers, & I can completely support you ordering one as your first RBA tank. Its going to be a fantastic vape on your Evic or a mechanical, there is no getting around that. You'll really enjoy it. I'm just playing a little devils advocate and letting you know that there are "better" (however trivially/marginally/contextually) options out there for someone in your type of situation. I am 5 years into this and I still want an RSST over a Kayfun clone, but thats just ME. I think you'd enjoy either, but I think the Kayfun would fit your vaping at this point in time just a tiny bit better. Either way, you can use cotton/silica with the RSST or the AgaT2 or whatever you end up ordering. The Evic will give you a great vape for years to come if you care for it. So just do what you feel like doing but take what I've said into consideration. & make sure you get a 2nd 18650 battery because you'll want it!

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Bristol, CT
I have the Smok RSST as well as the eVic. While the eVic is not the primary mod that I use my RSST with, it certainly works fine as long as I coil it above 1.5 ohms.

The RSST is indeed a very easy/forgiving RBA to start with, but 2 caveats:

1. I highly recommend drilling out the air hole to at least 1/16th inch...IMHO the stock air hole it overly restrictive.

2. As with most genesis style RBAs, the RSST is not a good choice for carrying around with you a lot because ejuice will leak into the upper chamber.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Smiles at the logic of the illogical.

Assume sense one uses 15-20 watts to vape another must also need the same. <My max is normally 8watts>
Throws out Amp limits without documentation.
i.e. eVic with FRESH AW IMR 18650 hit 2.86a under load - Oops....... Check PBusardo eVic test
Provari is 3.5a, per Provape:

Hello,

We are moving to Version 2 of the ProVari and this will be rolling out very soon.

What is V2 you ask?

Version 2 includes the following changes:

The ProVari will be able to go down to 2.9 volts at its lowest setting. So the new range is 2.9-6.0 Volts.

We are also increasing the amperage limit to 3.5 amps allowing for more flexibility with LR cartos and atomizers. This limit is for the lower voltage options while using LR attys and cartos.

This will be rolling out with all the new satin black ProVari's that will start shipping this coming week, along with the Chrome and Silver

Kayfun, while Excellent and much easer to build is not exactly Revolutionary.
It is an advancement in known working designs.
Ithaka has used Juice channels from the beginning. A new center section is now available to wick the Ithaka like the Kayfun without changing the design or excellent air flow control and still allows liquid shut off.

Just a little fun with facts :)

Last edited:

humpstyles

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
Pennsylvania
RSST just came in. I tried some mesh on it and, like a few have said, resulted in a metallic taste after torching. Some have pointed out that I shouldn't have quenched it, saturated it with ejuice and and burnt it off with a lighter. I really just need to jeep finagling until I find out what is best for me. I will certainly own a Kayfun in the near future merely from the amount I see that word on these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread