Discussing the NicoStick

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Ok I looked at the photos and directions. Still confused. First off is there a link for the parts to buy?

I gave a link for each part except the battery - there are so many places online to get them and I wouldn't want to be accused of sending everyone to my favorite place and nowhere else.

rejoice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2008
USA KY
Thank you found it. Here is a copy for anyone wanting it from Nicowolf.
This time I will go through the parts list more thoroughly and provide links since the parts are from more than one place.

The box came from Battery Space.
Battery holder: 2 x AA Covered Battery Holder with On-Off Switch - RoHS Compliant - BB2AA
It already has a kill switch in it and does not require any extra modification like my RS box did. The price is better than RS, but shipping is more unless you order several at once (the shipping price is the same for one or 20).

The switch came from Radio Shack.
3A 125V SPST Pushbutton Momentary Switch - RadioShack.com
This switch is widely available elsewhere too. The important things to look for are: Pushbutton, Normally Open (aka N.O., Off{On}), Momentary action (this means that the button must be held down to be on as opposed to one click on next click off like a flashlight). I have also used this switch with BAD luck 12VDC 50mA SPST 6.2x6.2 mm SMT Tact Switch, 9.5mm High - RadioShack.com. It could not handle the current and failed. I have had another modder tell me his did the same, so I went with a very amply rated switch for the tutorial.

The atomizer connector also came from Radio Shack and is also widely available elsewhere.
Size N Coaxial DC Power Jack w/Switch - RadioShack.com
Size M Panel-mount Coaxial Power Jack w/Switch - RadioShack.com
It does not matter which one, both work the same. For the UK folks, I hear the one at Maplin's needs the center pin built up a little to make contact. There is a separate thread detailing the use of this part. I have also seen other DC parts in these sizes that may work but have not tried them yet.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I am going to order the parts. Get me the glue and Soldering kit. I have never ever did anything thing like this. I want to give it a try. I think I can, I think I can. Well maybe.. Will have questions for sure......

And I will be more than happy to answer them. I am very happy to see you are ready to try making your own. I have watched you collecting for quite some time now. It will feel wonderful to have one made by your very own hands - it is a very special feeling.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I bought the cheapy little $8 kit from Radio Shack. It has a 30watt soldering iron, a little solder, a heatsinking clamp, a little stand to prop the tip of the iron on, and a pick-like tool. It suits my purpose, but I wish I had gotten something just a little better. I strongly recommend getting one of those helping hand solderer's tool thingys too. They have it at Harbor Freight for like $3 and it helps a ton. It saves me countless hours of losing and hunting down tiny little parts, not to mention giving me two extra hands while trying to solder. I recommend this to all who intend to try these mods. I think I like this thing even more than my soldering iron. It comes in handy just about as much as the cordless rotary tool and the pliers (tweezers for e-cig parts).

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I want to stress to everyone here. You CAN do this mod. Just follow directions and don't be afraid to ask questions. If you don't want to spend a fortune on batteries, be sure to research and LEARN about lithium batteries. You don't have to spend a fortune on buying a mod. You really and truely CAN make your own if you are willing to learn and try. The people here are willing to answer questions and share knowledge like nowhere else I have ever been. The resources are here. Just ask and read.

seminolewind

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2009
Corydon Indiana
I guess if I can tile a floor, redo a bathroom, replace a toilet, build a chicken coop, oil change on my car, connect a sound system, start an IV, bake a cake, drive, etc, then this Nico-box shouldn't be way to hard for me. Oh, wait, my super intelligent friend made me one! Oh La, I am so lucky!

davidM

Apr 22, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I've been lurking on this mod for a while, battery packs ordered, batteries ordered, once they arrive a quick trip to radioshack, and provided I don't get smoothered to death by solder I'll have my own.

Soldering irons have a habit of burning me... so we'll have the phone set to speed dial 911!

In all seriousness though, it looks REALLY easy to do, so when I pull it off I'll post a pic.

crazyhorse

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2009
Baja Alabama
I bought the cheapy little $8 kit from Radio Shack. It has a 30watt soldering iron, a little solder, a heatsinking clamp, a little stand to prop the tip of the iron on, and a pick-like tool. It suits my purpose, but I wish I had gotten something just a little better. I strongly recommend getting one of those helping hand solderer's tool thingys too. They have it at Harbor Freight for like $3 and it helps a ton. It saves me countless hours of losing and hunting down tiny little parts, not to mention giving me two extra hands while trying to solder. I recommend this to all who intend to try these mods. I think I like this thing even more than my soldering iron. It comes in handy just about as much as the cordless rotary tool and the pliers (tweezers for e-cig parts).

I got the same soldering kit because I couldn't find my old Weller gun. It works just fine and the doodads that come with it are nice. (Of course, buying a new one was the only prerequisite for finding the old one but such is life :rolleyes:

I looked at my local HF for the little $3.00 robot man but all they had was the $7.00 jumbo helping hands model that comes with a monster of a magnifying lens that contains a pair of the LED's the Chinese are so fond of. These run off 3 AAA batteries and are supposed to suffice as work lights. Actually, this magnifier/illuminator contraption makes the entire unit inconveniently top heavy even with heavy cast iron/felt padded base/parts tray and handy-dandy soldering iron stand. It always seems to be in the way and the LED's are pretty much useless. It now resides in the box. For a work light, I use an old timey high intensity gooseneck bed lamp and for magnification, I use my old DA-5 Optivisor.

10-4 on the rotary tool. I don't have a cordless one but a big ol' Craftsman flexible shaft tool. I've used it on every mod. It's a pain to haul out of the case and set up. I have virtually every type of diamond cutting tool under the sun for this thing. Most of my various diamond points, blades and wheels came from HF. They have a great selection of diamond tools for dirt cheap and they hold up very well... even when using them on granite and metal. I use the same tools year after year.

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
I got the same soldering kit because I couldn't find my old Weller gun. It works just fine and the doodads that come with it are nice. (Of course, buying a new one was the only prerequisite for finding the old one but such is life :rolleyes:

I looked at my local HF for the little $3.00 robot man but all they had was the $7.00 jumbo helping hands model that comes with a monster of a magnifying lens that contains a pair of the LED's the Chinese are so fond of. These run off 3 AAA batteries and are supposed to suffice as work lights. Actually, this magnifier/illuminator contraption makes the entire unit inconveniently top heavy even with heavy cast iron/felt padded base/parts tray and handy-dandy soldering iron stand. It always seems to be in the way and the LED's are pretty much useless. It now resides in the box. For a work light, I use an old timey high intensity gooseneck bed lamp and for magnification, I use my old DA-5 Optivisor.

10-4 on the rotary tool. I don't have a cordless one but a big ol' Craftsman flexible shaft tool. I've used it on every mod. It's a pain to haul out of the case and set up. I have virtually every type of diamond cutting tool under the sun for this thing. Most of my various diamond points, blades and wheels came from HF. They have a great selection of diamond tools for dirt cheap and they hold up very well... even when using them on granite and metal. I use the same tools year after year.

I didn't look for the little robot man thing at Harbor Freight because I had already found one dirt cheap at a local discount drug store. But here is a link to find it online.

- Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices

Darth.Vapor

ECF Veteran
Apr 6, 2009
USA
Just wanted to report that I have now built myself the new and improved NicoStick and wanted to report back... Gotta say it works great !! Couple of things I wanted to say...

1) A fully charged battery (Using the 14500 900mAH TrustFire) lasted me 48 hours straight with pretty heavy use !! Whoo Hoo !!

2) The instructions make this look easy but I would say it is not that easy - Not for someone not used to doing this type of thing anyway !! The hardest part to me was trying to drill some holes without destroying the casing... Also I have found I am not that great at soldering... Now I have done one, I do think it will be easier next time but it took about 2 hours to go through the instructions and do everything that first time... The instructions were great by the way - thanks for them ! Now to prepare to make my second one but without the mistakes I made in the first...

3) Quick note for those who think some people may charge too much for mods, try to make one yourself and then you will think they are not charging enough !!

nicowolf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 9, 2008
near Akron, OH, USA
Thanks, Darth. Did I mention that I managed to drill into the palm of my hand making one of them little holes? It was a really stupid mistake - after 20 years playing with power tools and no injuries - I knew better than to hold it the way I was.

With my ADD, it takes me the better part of a day to make one. I am posting, modding, eating, talking, and refilling my coffee almost simultaneously. Unfortunately, nothing gets my full attention, so everything takes forever.

emsmom

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2009
Arizona
One little note to those giving this a try - I had made the original Nicostick, so when I started on the new one, I didn't think ahead and wired everything up without setting the switch in position in the box. With the small switch in the version 1, this was not an issue. With the new model, because of the larger switch, it meant that I had to cut some already soldered wires to put the switch in place, then rewire. This new switch needs to be inserted from the top down, does not float in and out like the smaller one. Hope my mistake ends up saving someone the hassle of rewiring! I put my new one together prior to the new instructions being out. Great job on the new instructions, by the way! Anyone following them should not run into this problem. I only did because of having done the original NicoStick and assuming that the switches would install the same way. You all know what they say about assuming! Lesson learned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread