Diy mod build

Discussion in 'Modding Forum' started by Jonathangino, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Jonathangino

Jonathangino Full Member

So this will be my first ever diy mod, an altoids tin of course. Anyways would it be safe to just twist the wires together and to the switch then electrical tape them? Or would i absolutely have to solder it? Plus if anyone has any diy tips to make things easier and what not id love to hear about it. Thanks in advance!

2. Mike36609

Mike36609 Senior Member ECF Veteran

If you are going to be making your own mods learn to solder, it's not difficult. Much better to learn to solder than to have a wire come loose and short your battery to the metal Altoids tin, astronomically better.

3. iamthevoice

iamthevoice Super Member

Honestly, soldering is pretty easy and done by literally millions of people (and not just in China!). Tons of YouTube vids on the process!

4. dr g

dr g Moved On Verified Member ECF Veteran

you should not DIY if you can't solder

5. iamthevoice

iamthevoice Super Member

Didn't want to point it out, but that does sum it up pretty succinctly!

6. cghildreth

cghildreth Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Agree with the above posts. Watch some vids. Get an idea of what a decent joint looks like and go to town practicing. You'll find its really pretty easy even with a cheapy iron. I recently picked up a decent soldering station with adjustable temp. I really like it, but find that most of the time if i need to just wire up a couole connections i am still just breaking out my 25w radio shack iron. :)

7. classwife

classwife Ask The Vets Manager
    Asst Classifieds Mgr
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Tape can fail, wires can become un-twisted...someone could / would get hurt.

This is not an advisable way to build a mod.

8. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All ECF Veteran

Supporting member
  9. Tallone

Tallone Full Member

It is perfectly possible to build a solderless box mod but not recommended for beginners. However tape and twisted wires is not the way. Fully mechanical unregulated box Modders go to great lengths to avoid solder using copper rod, brass sheet etc to achieve some great results an effect of which is usually very low voltage drops under load.

But good advice.. Learn to solder but keep an open mind on how you want to build your mod.

10. david4500

david4500 Senior Member ECF Veteran

Use a cardboard box, aluminum foil and rubber bands. Chew up a piece of bubble gum if you need some adhesive.

11. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    I really Don't have a Problem if someone wants to make a Box Mod out of a Metal Tin and then just twist the wires and put Electrical Tape on them. Or if the Don't want to Epoxy things down so they Can't Jostle Around when Carried or Dropped.

None of that Bothers me in the Least. I Mean, It's still a Semi-Free Country. Right? And what You want to do and the Risks that You want to take are kinda your Own.

But what seems Wrong is if Someone made a POS Mod like this and then Tried to sell it on e-Bay. That Doesn't seem like a very cool thing to Do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.