Scary mod listed on EBay

Status
Not open for further replies.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
I just came across a posting on EBay and I don't believe we are allowed to link to those, so I will state this here. This what scares me about people making their own mods and not knowing the safety and having any knowledge that is required. Here is what is in his description. If you do a quick search, I am sure you will find it, and the picture makes it even scarier....

Up for grabs is a diy altoids mod that I made myself. None of it is soldered, just electrical taped. It works amazingly well and is very safe to use even though it's not soldered. 510 atty connector allows probably any tank you have to be used. This is not sub ohm safe in anyway, but throw an Aerotank, iClear 10, iClear 30b, any tank and you'll be happy. Please ask any questions you might have and I'll be sure to answer as fast as I can

Edit: I'l probably be including some free liquids, tanks, drip tips, maybe a battery. I'm just gonna pick one or two items at random.

Another edit: if you offer me $40 for it it's yours, I need the money!

All I know to say is WOW.... and I hope he eventually finds his way over to these forums.

Dayglow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2012
Greenville, NC
What do you expect? Where there is a population of people ignorant enough to not research best practices, there is a market flush with cash waiting to be taken advantage of. We will see the fallout as batteries pop, devices fail, people get injured, and people get turned off from vaping. Opportunistic parasites...

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
I just messaged the guy and simply said:

I just want to say that the safety of this mod seriously concerns me. From an experienced modder, please look into safer ideas for your future builds. If you ever have any questions, I will gladly assist you.

I guess I will watch my EBay message box for a reply.... holding my breath startingggggg NOW.

edit: BTW, I am NOT an experienced modder, that is why I am here. Learning before I dive in. I know soldering, I know safety, I know Ohms Law, I know resistance. This guy needs a checklist before he builds again! :D

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
edit: BTW, I am NOT an experienced modder, that is why I am here. Learning before I dive in. I know soldering, I know safety, I know Ohms Law, I know resistance. This guy needs a checklist before he builds again! :D

In my best Clint Eastwood voice...."A man has to know his limitations"

Half the battle is recognizing what you don't know, plenty of experienced builders willing to help.

GMayberry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2014
Virginia
In my best Clint Eastwood voice...."A man has to know his limitations"

Half the battle is recognizing what you don't know, plenty of experienced builders willing to help.

Precisely!! Now to be clear, I feel certain that if I just went ahead and started building one tonight that it would be done properly and chances are it would work well. I am very OCD about things, and want to make sure that when I start, I know EXACTLY what I am going to need, and how I want it to be when completed. I am brainstorming a few ideas and just need to pull the trigger on one soon. It's just that I would rather wait longer and learn more than needed, than to jump in too soon. I wish others had this same mentality sometimes! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread