Do any other vapers not inhale vapor into the lungs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langdell

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2008
Unlike most vapers, I came to vaping from pipe smoking rather than cigarette smoking. (Full disclosure: I'm still a pipe smoker; I started vaping only to reduce smoking, not quit completely.) A big difference from cigarettes is that with pipe (and cigar) smoking one typically doesn't really inhale the smoke into the lungs. You suck the smoke into your mouth, maybe hold it there a bit for the flavor/nicotine absorption, and exhale/puff it out. Since that was my habit, that's how I always approached my vaping also. In other words, I don't really inhale the vapor into my lungs. (One change I adopted with vaping is to include some exhaling through the nose, from a tip I saw in a video.)

Anyway, I just got to wondering if there are any other vapers out there who use the "don't inhale" method. Anyone? And if so, are you coming from a smoking habit where you were used to inhaling?

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
I have an e-pipe that I use in Temp Control with high VG fluid. Feels like a pipe. But I would do the puff-puff-puff-light inhale thing on a pipe when I smoked one. You might want to try getting an e-pipe and also seeing if you can find any high nic / high VG fluid.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
With the advent of high power direct lung vaping over the last couple years, basic puffing hasn't been discussed much here, even though it is likely the safest way to vape. Most of the nic absorption is through the mucous membranes anyway. I just puff whenever my throat's feeling a little rough, particularly in the winter.

You are definitely not alone and if you are succeeding in keeping your smoking down to the level you wish, congratulations!

Langdell

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2008
I have an e-pipe that I use in Temp Control with high VG fluid. Feels like a pipe. But I would do the puff-puff-puff-light inhale thing on a pipe when I smoked one. You might want to try getting an e-pipe and also seeing if you can find any high nic / high VG fluid.

Good thoughts! I actually started my vaping career with various e-pipes (a couple of them are pictured in my avatar) and originally sought to emulate pipe smoking as much as possible. But a few years back I dialed-in on a tube-style mech mod with an Aspire Nautilus tank as my preferred set-up. And I have come to appreciate the unique parts of vaping for their own sake, not just purely a smoking substitute. (I do still go mainly for tobacco flavored juices, though.) And, yes, I do stick with high nic since I'm not taking lung hits and counting on mouth/nasal absorption. I tend to avoid high VG though, since I wear glasses and find that high VG fogs them up pretty fast. :) Plus high PG tastes better to me.

With the advent of high power direct lung vaping over the last couple years, basic puffing hasn't been discussed much here, even though it is likely the safest way to vape. Most of the nic absorption is through the mucous membranes anyway. I just puff whenever my throat's feeling a little rough, particularly in the winter.

You are definitely not alone and if you are succeeding in keeping your smoking down to the level you wish, congratulations!

Thanks! Yes, vaping (and also Swedish snus) has drastically reduced my smoking--and brought me a lot of enjoyment in its own right.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
Good thoughts! I actually started my vaping career with various e-pipes (a couple of them are pictured in my avatar) and originally sought to emulate pipe smoking as much as possible. But a few years back I dialed-in on a tube-style mech mod with an Aspire Nautilus tank as my preferred set-up. And I have come to appreciate the unique parts of vaping for their own sake, not just purely a smoking substitute. (I do still go mainly for tobacco flavored juices, though.) And, yes, I do stick with high nic since I'm not taking lung hits and counting on mouth/nasal absorption. I tend to avoid high VG though, since I wear glasses and find that high VG fogs them up pretty fast. :) Plus high PG tastes better to me.

Have you tried Temp Control at all? I have an old Horizon Tech Arctic V8 that I tried nickel TC coils on just a few months ago. Not only did it make VG easier on me but it gave me a pipe-like experience. So I grabbed a Joyetech Elitar Pipe (75W+TC) and it's a pretty nice pipe mimic all around.

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Being a tobacco-holic (always flavor of; ryo cigs @ work, cigars, pipes on my time, for 35yrs.) Use higher nicotine %s (24-36mgs) as absorption is much less when not induced into the lungs. As a tobacco-holic, I now only vape NETs and using the same tobaccos I used to combust. I get more complex flavor(s) now than I ever experianced previous. Pipe/cigars/cig flavor NETs, personally, are vaped as I did when I combusted (habit) ie. pipe/cigar flavors are mouth or mouth/nose only; cigarette flavors inhaled (both mtl/dl). BTW no nicotine!
Good luck on what you are trying to accomplish!?!

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Pipe mods and juices are out there. It's lost some popularity lately, but it's still around. Iirc pipe juices are higher nic and have a different ph than ecig juice, though ecig juice will work.

The problem I've had finding a good pipe mod is china and the west use different pipe styles. The elitar, for example, is a good mod, but it's Chinese style and holding it feels weird to me. It also really really needs to have an after market long stem put on it.

Langdell

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2008
Have you tried Temp Control at all? I have an old Horizon Tech Arctic V8 that I tried nickel TC coils on just a few months ago. Not only did it make VG easier on me but it gave me a pipe-like experience. So I grabbed a Joyetech Elitar Pipe (75W+TC) and it's a pretty nice pipe mimic all around.

I have played around with temp control a little on a Cuboid that I recently got. It didn't grab me as being preferable to my mechs. I just really like the vape I get from my mechs, and other things about vaping mechs. But I just checked out the Elitar on their website ad that looks tempting--I might have to give that a try sometime just for the heck of it.

Being a tobacco-holic (always flavor of; ryo cigs @ work, cigars, pipes on my time, for 35yrs.) Use higher nicotine %s (24-36mgs) as absorption is much less when not induced into the lungs. As a tobacco-holic, I now only vape NETs and using the same tobaccos I used to combust. I get more complex flavor(s) now than I ever experianced previous. Pipe/cigars/cig flavor NETs, personally, are vaped as I did when I combusted (habit) ie. pipe/cigar flavors are mouth or mouth/nose only; cigarette flavors inhaled (both mtl/dl). BTW no nicotine!
Good luck on what you are trying to accomplish!?!

Good tips! Yes, I hear you on being a tobacco-holic. It's the acquired taste I'm looking for when I'm vaping--I just can't get into the idea of vaping strawberry banana cream pie or the like. :) I'm also a coffee-holic--and black coffee is the flavor I want to get my caffeine with, not raspberry watermelon or whatever.

I feel like I should clarify that I really didn't start this thread to ask for advice. I'm pretty dialed in and happy with my vape set-up. I mainly just had idle curiosity about the question: Does anyone else out there do "no inhale" vaping?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Anyway, I just got to wondering if there are any other vapers out there who use the "don't inhale" method. Anyone? And if so, are you coming from a smoking habit where you were used to inhaling?

As @Wheelin247 said above....Yep, I'm just one of many on here, (including @mattiem and others) who don't inhale into our lungs. I bring my vapor in and about 1/2 way down my throat for a few seconds, then back out through my nose and/or mouth. Have had absolutely no problem getting my "nic fix" doing it that way since I started vaping Nov. 20, 2013.

I dual used for 2 months, before going 100% to vaping on Jan. 14, 2014. I've never even wanted a cigarette since my last 1 that day, and I know I'll never have another one. So, the "not inhaling" method is definitely working just fine for me!
:thumbs:

By the way...Yes I was definitely an inhaler when I smoked
1 - 1 1/2 PAD for 42+ years!

Last edited:

ChelsB

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2016
California
As @Wheelin247 said above....Yep, I'm just one of many on here, (including @mattiem and others) who don't inhale into our lungs. I bring my vapor in and about 1/2 way down my throat for a few seconds, then back out through my nose and/or mouth. Have had absolutely no problem getting my "nic fix" doing it that way since I started vaping Nov. 20, 2013.

I dual used for 2 months, before going 100% to vaping on Jan. 14, 2014. I've never even wanted a cigarette since my last 1 that day, and I know I'll never have another one. So, the "not inhaling" method is definitely working just fine for me!

By the way...Yes I was definitely an inhaler when I smoked 1 - 1/2 PAD for 42+ years!

Wow! Great to know! I think I might try this with the devices I have that make me cough!

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Most of the nic absorption is through the mucous membranes anyway.

That statement ^^^^ is absolutely true concerning nic absorption with vaping (ie. mucous membranes of the nose and mouth). With smoking though...best absorption was in the lungs themselves.

MSK421

ECF Veteran
Apr 17, 2017
Fort Worth, Texas
Good tips! Yes, I hear you on being a tobacco-holic. It's the acquired taste I'm looking for when I'm vaping--I just can't get into the idea of vaping strawberry banana cream pie or the like. :) I'm also a coffee-holic--and black coffee is the flavor I want to get my caffeine with, not raspberry watermelon or whatever.
I feel like I should clarify that I really didn't start this thread to ask for advice. I'm pretty dialed in and happy with my vape set-up. I mainly just had idle curiosity about the question: Does anyone else out there do "no inhale" vaping?

There good NET retailers out there. I believe one offers coffee extracts. I might have read a diy coffee extract; memory fells me. I believe you'll find that the vaping experience with NETs more satisfying than smoking. The synthetic tobacco flavors out there are really good but seem to be lacking something. I don't know what that could be but its missing something.
The answer to thread question..... YES depending on NET. I also build coils to the flavor. All coils are chimney coils (bvc). The only difference are the inter circumstance. Cig build is 2; pipe 2.5; cigar 3.0 with adjusting the rta/rda airflow to stimulate flavor type.

Last edited:

Mazinny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
NY

By the way...Yes I was definitely an inhaler when I smoked
1 - 1 1/2 PAD for 42+ years!
I vape exactly like you do ... well not exactly, i bring the vapor half way down my throat for probably less than a second, but other than the duration of exposure in the throat, very similar to you. I smoked cigarettes in a similar manner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread