Dry Throat and Mouth Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

dawnnnny

Feb 12, 2011
Washington
Hi - I'm hoping I can get some feedback from people who have had similar problems.

I switched from real cigs to e-cigs on January 13th. At the end of January, I quit using the e-cig, mainly because my mouth and throat became extremely dry, especially at night.

I only used the e-cig just under 3 weeks and then not a bunch. I definitely didn't "puff" as much as when I smoked real cigarettes.

So now, even though its been 12 days since I've used the e-cig I'm still having the dryness. One other thing is that I got a head cold around the same time I switched to e-cigs.

I'm not really sure what is causing this problem. Someone told me that because I quit smoking, my body is detoxing and that's why I have dry mouth/throat, but my dentist said usually its the opposite-that once you stop smoking, you should have more saliva, not less.

Any feedback/ideas would be appreciated. I am still a non-smoker and I really credit it to using the e-cig. Thanks for your help! :)

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
There are a few different things that cause the dry throat and mouth, it's very common and goes away after about a month usually.

• you MUST drink more water. E-cigs will dry you out very quickly. This is especially important - drink drink drink...
• PG can cause some throat sensitivity in the beginning. There's always a chance that you are allergic to PG, but from your description it doesn't sound like that's a problem.
• you need to take long, slow airy drags with an e-cig, the quick hard drags you took when you smoked will irritate your throat now.
• you can suck a lozenge, drink some hot tea, have a spoonful of honey... normal throat remedies.

Just know that it's totally normal, happens to most of us in the beginning, and will pass soon.

Good luck! :)

ps: if it doesn't go away in a couple weeks, try switching to VG

pandatera

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2011
NY
Hi,

I started vaping on New Year. The first, two weeks I have very dry mouth and always have a feeling there was something stuck behind my throat. I didn't get much of a sore throat though. At that time, in the morning when I wake up my mouth feels so dry, even after brushing my teeth didn't seem to help. I would always get dry, dehydrated lips when I'm out and not even vaping. I remember reading somewhere on the forum, like not to vape about an hour before you go to sleep. And make sure you brush your teeth, and dun vape after that before you go to bed. I tried that and it helped alot I think. I also been drinking a lot of water, so much that I always have to use the bathroom. Also I noticed minty flavors gives my mouth a more refreshing feel. Now I'm not sure if I have gotten use to the dry mouth, or it's gotten better. It doesn't seem as bad anymore.

** Make sure you drink alot of water !!!
Oh sometimes the E juice might irritated your throat. I once had like a itchy throat when I vape kiwi flavor. It was gone when I didn't vape that flavor no more. So it might also be the flavor you are vaping.

Last edited:

Rosa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2010
Beaverton, Oregon!
I have been going through about 3-4 tanks on my ego-t a day, my wife goes 2 full days on one tank. But she has smoked twice as many analogs since starting than I have. I think she is a little scared to get too carried away vaping.

Brew

LOL! :) ... she smokes because she doesn't want to get too carried away vaping... :)

No offense to your wife, but really??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread