Eleaf GS Air Fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
I have been here since the beginning of this thread. I have post number 5 on page one of this thread! I still love my GS Airs. ( I don't have a life, but I do have GS Airs and this thread).
I know, I went back to the early days of this thread, to see who was here in the beginning, I saw you, lol :)

Cloudmann

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2015
North Charleston, SC
On another note, the vape mail from Rocky Mountain that has my GS Airs it it did NOT come as expected yesterday. Now it says it will be delivered tomorrow. :( I was really hoping to try them out over the weekend, when I have more time to play with them. Then again, I really hate Mondays, so at least knowing I'm getting vapemail makes a Monday quite a bit better! :)
Yep... gotta love USPS consistency. I ordered some juice a few weeks back that took over a week to arrive... priority mail. Then, today, on Sunday... SUNDAY, I got a non priority, first class vape mail package I ordered two days ago. Not complaining about Sunday vape mail, but I wish those guys could deliver stuff in a consistently timely manner. Sheesh!

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
Update on my GS Air vs. Nautilus Mini battle, I found out that its really more me on a learning curve as my vaping journey continues. I still like both since I have a couple packs of nauty coils left, but right now my two istick30W's have the new "GS-Tank" (that's whats on the box of the new TC tanks) and the original GS Air. I get less gurgling on a hot day in my GS Air than on my Nautilus Mini, vaping 70/30 pg/vg at 18 mg nic. I just love the new GS-Tank using non-TC coils when vaping higher VG juices - I'm vaping Clockwerks Custard and Monkey Spunk, from vaping.watch, its very high VG I can tell, but they don't say, best non NET juice I ever had!. For 70PG/30VG that I usually vape, I like the taller original GS Air (the M should do well for me here too, but I don't have one), due to more crackling and occasional spitting of that juice.

I had a cotton coil in the GS Tank that clogged up vaping Clockworks Custard, i took it apart, and the cotton wrapped around the vertical coil had apparently gotten sucked into the bottom of the coil (pin side), clogging it. Not sure if that was just a coil anomoly due to an improper wrap/pin insertion, or if that high VG juice pushed it in as I vaped. I put a regulaor 1.5 ohm dual horizontal coil in it (since i received two packs of those friday's mail). Both coil types give very good flavor.

I gave up vaping NET''s on either the GS Airs or the Nautilus, its too much of a coil killer, and now vape those exclusively on CE5+ from Goodejuice since I can get replacement coils for 49 cents each.

I have a system now at least that works for me, and I am happy!

Chemtx

ECF Veteran
Mar 16, 2015
Weatherford, TX
I received my Istick TC 40w on Friday in a lovely blue. I've not really had a chance to use it that much but it feels a bit more sturdy than the 30w and isn't terribly different in size. I've not gotten the new tank yet or tried the nickel. I'm starting to wonder about nickel anyway. I had a thought about equating cooking to vaping. Bear with me, this has an analogy.

When cooking, pots, pans and utensils are created out of certain metals because some metals will leech into foods when heated. Nickel is a no go in the cooking world because of potential carcinogens. Would this principle not also apply to heating a nickel coil and vaping it into your lungs? I honestly don't know the answer but I have done a cursory search and can't seem to find a lot of info.

Anyway I do love my 1.2 cotton coils. I've been enjoying ahlusion' s lemon vanilla cake and it is a clean tasting lemon goodness!

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
while it's true there are still unknowns in vaping, let's not forget most chinese ready-made coils are made of nichrome wire and kanthal, which is the preferred wire by diy'ers, is a composition of iron/chromium/aluminum
i believe most of these metals/alloys would be frowned upon if used in cooking utensils ;)

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
You
while it's true there are still unknowns in vaping, let's not forget most chinese ready-made coils are made of nichrome wire and kanthal, which is the preferred wire by diy'ers, is a composition of iron/chromium/aluminum
i believe most of these metals/alloys would be frowned upon if used in cooking utensils ;)
You sure are up early ;) from my reading the metals shouldn't be released in vaping. Actually from reading some of Dr F's writing I would more concerned with solder in nonR-R-nonR. Besides I like a little iron in my diet. :D

LostVapeMonster

The eyes are useless when the mind is blind.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Land of the Lost
Speaking of Zombies...

Notice the Classic Outstretched Arms and Blank Look on my Cat.

dciy_1.jpg

dciy_2.jpg

dciy_3.jpg

If that Isn't Clear Cut Evidence of an Undead Brain Eater, I Don't Know what Is?
Oh my gosh! What a cutie! :wub:

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
You

You sure are up early ;) from my reading the metals shouldn't be released in vaping. Actually from reading some of Dr F's writing I would more concerned with solder in nonR-R-nonR. Besides I like a little iron in my diet. :D

''shouldn't be'' ;) but now that we have temp control dr. f was supposed to look at what happens to juices and coils at different temp settings ...........
my money is on 'safer than' when it comes to vaping but i'm not discounting the possibility of unpleasant surprises down the road ;)

LostVapeMonster

The eyes are useless when the mind is blind.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2011
Land of the Lost
But how does all this, wire, chemicals of the liquids etc compare to what we did to our lungs and bodies from all those years of smoking cigarettes with their known carcinogens?
I think the most important difference is that we are no longer combusting anything into our lungs. Think of it this way; people who die in fires almost always die from smoke inhalation. That's what we were doing to our lungs, only in small increments, over a longer period of time. Just my :2c:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
10 minutes of weldin with Ni-chrome wire, stainless, nickel alloy, copper, magnesium, aluminum or even mild steel with the common 7018 will give you more volume of nasty stuff than 10 years of vapin.:2c: Fausalino would have a heart attack. :)

I'm kinda of remembering a study, not sure which off hand...it looked at what heavy metals were in vapor comparing it to outside air. The outside air lost...:w00t:

GranFumador

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Peoples' Bucolic Republic of Maine
Defender II 50 watt — First impressions.

Size and weight compared to iStick 30w: (measuring devices are naked eye and left hand). Thickness nearly identical, width-Defender ~5% wider and 5% taller. Weight- nearly the same.

Fit and Finish: Very nice.
Ergonomics: Excellent. With the thirty istick, I tended to put the thumb of my average size hand on top of the mod. With the Def., it sits above the fire button, on the stainless/chromed top piece.
Mfr. quality: No button rattle. (Why do none of my mods come with button rattle? I feel cheated.)
Another reviewer I respect noted that the GS Air sits a large hair's width above the mod. It do! As it must. The iStick has depressed channels going under the tank base. The Def. has a nippled depression either side of the tank. Air flow is through the depressed tray and also from the sides. Not a brilliant design decision, but functional.
On a scale of one to a hundred, this is about a 0.23 issue.
Controls: Intuitive (like the istick, and marginally better than most Innokin mods, IMNSHO).
Display: When you turn it on, you see "DEFENDER" in big, white letters, just to remind you that you have not electrocuted a BLT. When you turn it off, it displays, "Goodbye"
in a typeface reminiscent of a 1950s Good Humor popsicle wrapper. Main display items are easy to read, and larger than their iStick 30 equivalents.
Sundry scandalous items: user manual is about the size of an obese dollar bill. Has everything you need to know, in arcane English. Packaging is a clear plastic box, unlike the usual white coated paper cardboard we have grown (groan?) to expect from Chinese e-gear vendors.
Curious Quirk — Just changed from a GS Air to an M, while charging with the mini USB cable.
This disturbance to the cosmic force field caused the display to change from watts to volts.
My cat stretched and yawned. Pressed the big button three times to change it back. Remind me to send Thomas Edison a note about this.

Edited to add--- Tactile. Nice, smooth finish, but not slippery like the iStick, so I don't think it will need a sillycone cover. A positive.
Personal prejudices and opinions: It just works! Good size and feel for my hand. Appears well made. Hasn't autofired, burped, or been flatulent. Guess it likes me, but people say I'm 'good with animals'. Why, you ask, did I get a 50w battery when I rarely cruise above 10w? Longevity, my Dears!
Also: Replaceable battery is, for me, a GOOD THING. My iStick will probably die, (pass away, cross over, meet their Maker, start a worm farm, et c., if you prefer euphemisms.) in another eight to ten months, and contribute to our collective landfill issues. When the battery on the Def. bites the dust, croaks, breathes its last, I'll take a shiny copper penny from your my pocket, open the battery compartment, and replace the dearly departed.

Thanks for reading. All opinions expressed here are unprotected by copyright law, and do not necessarily represent the theological leanings of this forum. Your kilometraje pueda resultar bien distinta.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
But how does all this, wire, chemicals of the liquids etc compare to what we did to our lungs and bodies from all those years of smoking cigarettes with their known carcinogens?

I dunno?

I know I'm Not Going Back to Smoking Cigarettes EVER!

I Don't think e-Cigarette use is 100% Harm Free. But I also think that if I can Isolate something that has Potential to cause Harm in e-Cigarettes/e-Liquids, and then Eliminate it, or find a Better Alternative to it, that I should consider it.

That is how I see things like Diacetyl and AP. Switching to Flavorings that are Da and AP Free makes sense. Of at Least, using Less of these Flavors.

gerrymi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
The 'Burgh, PA.

Beer eliquid...Don't really like the taste of beer. (I'm the one this beer label is referring to: WARNING :
The consumption of alcohol may lead you to think people are laughing WITH you
)

However...a few weeks ago in Virginia I had a couple bottles of "Root Beer...Beer". It was delicious...tasted exactly like Root Beer (ABV 5.9%).

(Still looking for it in The Burgh!!!)

Small Town Brewery

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL

Size and weight compared to iStick 30w: (measuring devices are naked eye and left hand). Thickness nearly identical, width-Defender ~5% wider and 5% taller. Weight- nearly the same.

Ergonomics: Excellent. With the thirty istick, I tended to put the thumb of my average size hand on top of the mod. With the Def., it sits above the fire button, on the stainless/chromed top piece.
Mfr. quality: No button rattle. (Why do none of my mods come with button rattle? I feel cheated.)
Another reviewer I respect noted that the GS Air sits a large hair's width above the mod. It do! As it must. The iStick has depressed channels going under the tank base. The Def. has a nippled depression either side of the tank. Air flow is through the depressed tray and also from the sides. Not a brilliant design decision, but functional.
Controls: Intuitive (like the istick, and marginally better than most Innokin mods, IMNSHO).
Display: When you turn it on, you see "DEFENDER" in big, white letters, just to remind you that you have not electrocuted a BLT. When you turn it off, it displays, "Goodbye"
in a typeface reminiscent of a 1950s Good Humor popsicle wrapper. Main display items are easy to read, and larger than their iStick 30 equivalents.
Sundry scandalous items: user manual is about the size of an obese dollar bill. Has everything you need to know, in arcane English. Packaging is a clear plastic box, unlike the usual white coated paper cardboard we have grown (groan?) to expect from Chinese e-gear vendors.
Curious Quirk — Just changed from a GS Air to an M, while charging with the mini USB cable.
This disturbance to the cosmic force field caused the display to change from watts to volts.
My cat stretched and yawned. Pressed the big button three times to change it back. Remind me to send Thomas Edison a note about this.

Personal prejudices and opinions: It just works! Good size and feel for my hand. Appears well made. Hasn't autofired, burped, or been flatulent. Guess it likes me, but people say I'm 'good with animals'. Why, you ask, did I get a 50w battery when I rarely cruise above 10w? Longevity, my Dears!
Also: Replaceable battery is, for me, a GOOD THING. My iStick will probably die, (pass away, cross over, meet their Maker, start a worm farm, et c., if you prefer euphemisms.) in another eight to ten months, and contribute to our collective landfill issues. When the battery on the Def. bites the dust, croaks, breathes its last, I'll take a shiny copper penny from your my pocket, open the battery compartment, and replace the dearly departed.

Thanks for reading. All opinions expressed here are unprotected by copyright law, and do not necessarily represent the theological leanings of this forum. Your kilometraje pueda resultar bien distinta.

Great review, very thorough! Sounds like you're enjoying it so far!

Cheechako

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2012
Arizona

Great review!
But, Pics or it didn't happen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread