Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamus101

Nov 30, 2008
Bristol, UK
Hi all,
might have done something silly, wouldn't be the first time.

Recently new to vapping, and have started dripping.

For some reason I got the great idea that adding oil of bergamot (think earl grey tea) to my TW Black Tea would be clever.

Oil arrived this morning and off I went three drops of TW one of essential oil...:cry: label says

A couple of hours later and brain starts wondering if there are any health implications... in inhaling this stuff.:oops:

Checked out other threads which suggested people were trying it but no definitive, this is a very bad idea or should be ok?:confused:

Just looking for a bit of reassurance.

By the way, it tastes fantastic, just like having nice cuppa.

Website I got it from says,
"Product Description - Most commonly known for the unique flavour it gives to Earl Grey Tea, this top note, cold pressed oil has a fresh and fruity scent with slight balsamic undertones. Great as an air freshener, when used in a vaporiser it disperses unpleasant odours and cigarette smoke as well as acting as an insect deterrent. Calming and soothing, it is good for use with anxiety and depression as it is claimed to uplift the spirits and emotions and raise confidence. When diluted can be used for PMT and it is extremely effective on oily, blemished and sensitive skin. In addition can also be used as a douche to combat urinary tract infections." - mothernaturesgoodies.co.uk/

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Website I got it from says,
"Product Description - Most commonly known for the unique flavour it gives to Earl Grey Tea, this top note, cold pressed oil has a fresh and fruity scent with slight balsamic undertones. Great as an air freshener, when used in a vaporiser it disperses unpleasant odours and cigarette smoke as well as acting as an insect deterrent. Calming and soothing, it is good for use with anxiety and depression as it is claimed to uplift the spirits and emotions and raise confidence. When diluted can be used for PMT and it is extremely effective on oily, blemished and sensitive skin. In addition can also be used as a douche to combat urinary tract infections." - mothernaturesgoodies.co.uk/

You inhaled that? :shock:

Seriously, though, I really don't know the implications of all that but somewhere on here I think it was mentioned that adding oil to the atomizer might cause problems.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than myself will come along and comment.

Lu

Janet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2008
Akron OH USA
I make my own mixtures with Nature's Gift essential oils - ginger and cinnamon. I fill a Sweet Breath bottle (3.7 ml) with a mixture of 1 part VG to 4 parts PG and then add a little essential oil by dipping a toothpick in the oil, then stir it in the Sweet Breath bottle; wipe off toothpick, repeat two more times. If you want nicotine, just add some 555 tobacco or non-flavored high nic liquid to the PG/VG mixture or just add the oil to the nic-liquid. So far I've had no problems with clogged atomizers. Be careful with essential oils - they are very strong.

Tetsab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2008
East Sussex, UK
As the truly wonderful Douglas Adams would have said: DON'T PANIC!! :cool:

Bergamot is a citrus fruit. Not very nice to eat but lovely smell and really, most unlikely to be toxic. As you are vapourising it and not burning it I can't imagine it would be a whole lot different from scraping a knife over a lemon and inhaling the zest that produced, which is in fact the essential oil.

Kate has repeatedly advised people not to use oily flavours due to the risk to the atomiser, but I can't help thinking that there are probably essential oils already being used in the liquids. (No disrespect intended, Kate) Totally Wicked even includes 'Tobacco Essential Oil' and 'Tobacco Leaf Oil' in the ingredients list on the bottle. (OK, that's my translation of the Chinese spelling which actually calls them 'Tobacco essencial oil' and 'Tobacco lead oil') :D

As Janet says, essential oils are very strong so you only need tiny amounts; mixed in by her method you wouldn't be using anything like so much. One drop in four is 25%, that IS quite a lot! Also she reports she hasn't had problems with her atomisers. Pleased to hear that, as I'd been thinking how nice cinnamon would be myself...

I'm not claiming to be miles more knowledgeable than anyone else here, probably just less inclined to paranoia. Overall, as the comparison is burning tobacco then inhaling the smoke - what's to panic over? Think of all the environmental contaminants we've all been exposed to over the years (unless you're still at primary school) - diesel fumes, petrol fumes which had lead in them. Everyone & his brother used to creosote their garden fences - now that's been banned and you can't buy it anymore.

I turned 50 this year and concluded it is all far too late to get het up about this sort of stuff. Unless it says on the bottle 'Do Not Inhale' it probably isn't going to do you a lot of damage. If you don't feel happy about it don't do it again.

We've all been 'guilty' of smoking or we wouldn't be here on this forum. One of the few things you can be sure of - you will die one day and so will I. Enjoy the journey, don't look over your shoulder the whole way.

Stay cool :cool: Love and peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread