• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not terribly, but normal precautions are called for. It's wise to charge a lithium battery in a charging bag, by preference on a non-flammable surface and well away from anything that can burn.

That's actually true for any lithium battery, including your cell phone and laptop.

Spectacular battery failures are pretty rare, but they can happen. They're most common if the wrong charger is used, and during charging (even on the right charger). batteries that have been dropped, driven over, or otherwise damaged should be considered suspect.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I wouldn't worry too much.

Most explosions have been due to wrong charger for battery.

Don't leave it overnight. Check it a few minutes into charging to see if all is well.

Every day trillions of Li-ion get charged in mobiles and laptops etc. Very rare, thankfully.

If in doubt, get a new charger if there's any weirdness.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
Hertfordshire
I wouldn't worry too much.

Most explosions have been due to wrong charger for battery.

Don't leave it overnight. Check it a few minutes into charging to see if all is well.

Every day trillions of Li-ion get charged in mobiles and laptops etc. Very rare, thankfully.

If in doubt, get a new charger if there's any weirdness.

One concern I do have is the capsule inside the Vapourlites battery unit, it combines the pressure sensor and its associated electronic switch that controls coil current with the end of charge disconnect switch.

If you're not careful filling the cartomiser the fluid can run into the battery unit and contaminate the capsule. A contaminated capsule can switch on the coil continuously when you're not drawing on the e-cig - I don't know how/if it affects charge control!

Always remove cartos from the battery to refill, of course. Additionally, gently blowing out any extra fluid is a really good idea before use--just hold a tissue on the other end to catch the drip, if any.

If liquid can keep the battery on, it's going to impact the charging cycle by definition. And a battery that's stuck on is definitely considered suspect.

zeroclue

ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2013
Barnsley, UK
I don't get what 'the correct charger' means?

I originally bought the EVOD starter kit which came with a wire (USB/510) and I bought a separate wall plug with USB slot. Then I bought an itaste V3 which came with a retractable USB/mini USB wire that I also use with the same wall plug with USB slot. (Charge from the wall socket).

I assume the wall plug is Ok? (Bought from same vendor) Or should it only be plugged into a laptop USB port?

I keep seeing posts saying it's Ok to use any phone charger (do they mean the wire, wall plug or both)?

If the phone charger is OK to use, what are the wrong chargers that some people are using?

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    One concern I do have is the capsule inside the Vapourlites battery unit, it combines the pressure sensor and its associated electronic switch that controls coil current with the end of charge disconnect switch.

If you're not careful filling the cartomiser the fluid can run into the battery unit and contaminate the capsule. A contaminated capsule can switch on the coil continuously when you're not drawing on the e-cig - I don't know how/if it affects charge control!

There are Sealed versions of those type of cig-like batteries available now. Probably less expensive also.

I originally bought the EVOD starter kit which came with a wire (USB/510) and I bought a separate wall plug with USB slot. Then I bought an itaste V3 which came with a retractable USB/mini USB wire that I also use with the same wall plug with USB slot. (Charge from the wall socket).

I assume the wall plug is Ok? (Bought from same vendor) Or should it only be plugged into a laptop USB port?

You're fine. The wall wart (plug) and/or your USB port (which you shouldn't use for other reasons) both simply supply standard USB power. The cord just carries it. The charging circuit is inside your device and is, by definition, correct.

The worst that might happen is that your wall wart is under-powered and your e-cig charges slowly. No harm done.

You shouldn't use your USB computer port because computers are expensive. Should something go awry, and it does rarely happen, the short can take out the USB power supply. It's better to destroy a really cheap wall charger than your expensive computer.

I keep seeing posts saying it's Ok to use any phone charger (do they mean the wire, wall plug or both)?

It's OK to use any charger that has a USB output port, delivers 5 volts, and has "enough" power to supply the ecig. At a guess, 500 ma output should be entirely sufficient. 1,000 ma would be better as that's definitely going to be over the power requirement of your e-cig.

If the phone charger is OK to use, what are the wrong chargers that some people are using?

Many eGo style use an external charger that you screw the e-cig onto. These chargers vary model by model and you shouldn't, for example, use a Vision Spinner charger on a kGo battery.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

If in doubt, access the manufacturers site or email the supplier you've purchased from. Or look at what charger is sold with your battery in a starter kit.

Ego chargers go with ego batteries, cig-alikes go with cig-alikes. Some people move up from cig-like to ego and think they can use that charger just because it's 510 also and fits.

There is an occasional ego that is sold with reverse polarity, but I haven't seen one for quite awhile.

Last edited:

ian-field

ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Hertfordshire

The Vapourlites charger is nothing more than a USB plug and a 15R resistor - plus a simple transistor to sense voltage drop across that resistor and drive a bi-colour indicator LED. I've done a few experiments at battery modding, and things I've found out while doing have led me not to trust the Vapourlites capsule. My approach is to use a shunt regulator - if it fails short circuit it stops charging, if a cut off charge control fails short circuit, the battery gets over charged.

If a charging fitting is for a USB wall-wart - it seems unlikely any would put out more than 5V.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2013
    Flint, Michigan, United States

keonee

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2013
    USA

Codz

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 2, 2013
    Lancashire
    After reading last nite on another thread about a battery fire I decided to order this thru amazon - Lipo Battery Fireproof Bag Storage Bag for extra piece of mind/security.

Was very inexpensive -

Amazon.com : Free US Ship Lipo Battery Fireproof Bag Storage Bag Lipo Battery Guard Safe Bag Fiber Material for Charge & Storage 30x23cm : Remote Control Vehicle Batteries : Toys & Games

I've got one of these too, they arent going to completely prevent damage if there's a problem, but for the cost if they prevent a small fire in your house its a no-brainer.

ian-field

ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Hertfordshire
    After reading last nite on another thread about a battery fire I decided to order this thru amazon - Lipo Battery Fireproof Bag Storage Bag for extra piece of mind/security.

Was very inexpensive -

Amazon.com : Free US Ship Lipo Battery Fireproof Bag Storage Bag Lipo Battery Guard Safe Bag Fiber Material for Charge & Storage 30x23cm : Remote Control Vehicle Batteries : Toys & Games

Usually I place any batteries that might flame in a tobacco tin lined with a strip of mica to prevent shorting and causing thermal runaway.

Probably worth mentioning somewhere in the discussion - never chuck water on a lithium fire! Water makes it flare up even worse!

Lucky1384

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 9, 2014
    Sheffield, UK

Was very inexpensive -

Didn't realise these could be had so cheap! The only ones I happened to spot before were very expensive for what they are. Can't go wrong for £2.59 on eBay!

ian-field

ECF Veteran
    Dec 3, 2013
    Hertfordshire
    Didn't realise these could be had so cheap! The only ones I happened to spot before were very expensive for what they are. Can't go wrong for £2.59 on eBay!

Having seen footage of a laptop literally spouting a jet of flame like a flamethrower, I sort of doubt anything in the form of a "bag" is going to do much.

Planting the battery in a bucket of sand is probably as safe as you can get.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Todays papers seem to be full of warnings about exploding lithium batteries - how worried should I be?

I don't think there is Reason to be Overly Worried. But I think there is Enough Reason to take some Simple Precautions.

Like not Charging Batteries on top of a Pile of Papers or Oily Rags.

And Not Charging Batteries Unattended or while you are Asleep.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I think I remember youtube vid showing the difference between the Original Lipo Bag and cheaper ones- big diff.

I remember reading an Amazon review about a Lipo Bag where the Buyer said that he put a Lighter to the Bag and it Caught on Fire. He went on to say that he felt that charging in a Old Pillow Case would be Just As Effective. And $15 Cheaper.

Just like Many Things, a $5 Lipo Charging Bag on e-Bay Might not be the Best Call. And perhaps it would be Better to Spend a Few Bucks More on One where you can Read Reviews about it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread