For RDAs: what are your preferred posts-screws?

For RDAs: what are your preferred post-screws?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Good post.
Socket Head/Grub Nut--Why?
Gives you almost full control of nut. If tight fit between socket (this is standard in US mfg'g) and key, you can withdraw nut without it sliding off the key! Unfortunately, foreign mfg'rs neglect to follow any standards. Hence, we vapers see no positive advantage. Simply, if mfg'rd correctly, the two in tandem when removed from the internal post thread should be one unit. The socket should not readily fall off the key (slips out due to weight/gravity) unless pointed straight downward. This would prevent less loss due to dropping the socket head nut.
I have rda clones that have a internal threads that are so mis formed, any high school machine shop beggining student would do a better job. This last statement refers to taping the thread of cutting or rolling the nut thread profile.
I not a machinist, but these folks can make or break a good designed product. These folks are often times put down in manufacturing (foreign and domestic) by supervisors (greed for money) and it shows.
Sorry for the long posts and I could go on, but one of my pet peeves.
If anyone agrees with me, please hit "like".

Reactions: Mr.Mann

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Good points Jimi.
Jimi, you might want to try a machine shop supply in the key's. Should be a good selection of metric 300 series stainless steel. You might be able to attain them in a different class of fit.
With the right width flat screw driver blade, its possible to back out a socket hex. if not overly tight.

Reactions: Jimi D.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Grub screws for me. Because I use ribbon wire. Sometimes the screws are too short. So then I can't get a good grab. Also grub screws don't back out. I've been ordering them at Fat Daddy vapes and Kidney Puncher.

Ah, yes! The great back-out! It's not cool taking a hit off of an RDA/RTA when the resistance randomly changes, and changes drastically!!!

Reactions: Jimi D.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Guess I'm gonna look into Grub Screws after this lol:thumb:

I think *one* of the reasons others don't mind Phillips head screws is because they my like to use thick wire. Personally, it doesn't matter what wire I use, I want grub/socket heads screws (but I do tend to use 26 and above). I am quite surprised the number for Phillips head is so high. I hate those dern things!

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I think *one* of the reasons others don't mind Phillips head screws is because they my like to use thick wire. Personally, it doesn't matter what wire I use, I want grub/socket heads screws (but I do tend to use 26 and above). I am quite surprised the number for Phillips head is so high. I hate those dern things!

if I have grub screws, i'd rather they were slothead/flathead, and not allenkey.
I don't keep allen keys lying around, and if you need allenkeys you also have to have exactly the right size.

Reactions: Mr.Mann

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
if I have grub screws, i'd rather they were slothead/flathead, and not allenkey.
I don't keep allen keys lying around, and if you need allenkeys you also have to have exactly the right size.

That's funny becasue I have a ton of allen keys. I don't even know why, but I have every size imaginable. And for Phillips/flat heads, I think we all have a box full of little blue ones. LOL. Good point though that you have to have the right size allen key, but most atties that use them will send the correct size along with the atty. But I still get your point.

I'll buy you a full set of allen keys if you buy me a ticket to Trinidad! :laugh:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
That's funny becasue I have a ton of allen keys. I don't even know why, but I have every size imaginable. And for Phillips/flat heads, I think we all have a box full of little blue ones. LOL. Good point though that you have to have the right size allen key, but most atties that use them will send the correct size along with the atty. But I still get your point.

I'll buy you a full set of allen keys if you buy me a ticket to Trinidad! :laugh:

lol!
ha! bet you only buy a half set of allen keys!

only last week I had an allen key issue concerning some woodwork; went upstairs searched around and found 1 of my sets of allen keys, found the size that fit ....and.......... nope; this allen key set was metric and looks like the one I want is british; but unfortunately I can't find the brit set... at least I *thought* I had 2 sets;
To get a full set of allen keys you have to get the metric and the brit; same with socket sets.
But phillip head screwdrivers - nope you don't have to have an exact size

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
lol!
ha! bet you only buy a half set of allen keys!

only last week I had an allen key issue concerning some woodwork; went upstairs searched around and found 1 of my sets of allen keys, found the size that fit ....and.......... nope; this allen key set was metric and looks like the one I want is british; but unfortunately I can't find the brit set... at least I *thought* I had 2 sets;
To get a full set of allen keys you have to get the metric and the brit; same with socket sets.
But phillip head screwdrivers - nope you don't have to have an exact size

Well, I mean I have a full set of every type of head that I would ever have to use. And especially with atties -- I have never had a socket head screw that was a size that wasn't common to others or one that I had lying around. But again, your point is valid in the larger context.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread