General newbish questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

WistfulChipmunk

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2017
First off.. I love this, I love this so much I love this thing every joose tastes amazeballs now IDK OMG why wasn't using an rda before... If you're a newbie who wants to try out rda's I promise IT'S NOT THAT HARD. If I can do it -you- can do eet.

Now that this is out of the way (I'm totally excited about this can you tell :p)

Question:
How long typically, can I expect a coil / wick to last before it needs to be changed? I figure it depends on usage amount, watts, resistance etc.

This would be an average set of variables for me:
  • ~10ml Joose per day | 6mg nic | 70/30ish (VG/PG)
  • 1.2 - 0.7 Ohms (I think is going to end up being my sweet range.)
  • I vape on the lowish-middle side of things, right now I'm running 1.16ohms at around 19watts (4.87 volts) according to my mod. I don't like it to be very hot.
  • Coils are going to be Kanthal. 24g and I have 28g wire too.
  • Wicks are cotton and IDK I just kind of make them fluffy and stretch them out, roll them up and twist the end then tug them through the coil, snip and dip them to the bottom of the well. I don't know if technique matters for lifespan really...

Reactions: Izan

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,
You have to judge it yourself.
IMO, Both builds (below) may still taste good, but the one on the right "looks" like it's ready for a re wick/dry burn (yellow or orange; no red)
siyno.jpg

Have fun
I

ColdHeartClan

Jul 28, 2017
Madison, Wi
Like Izan said above me, it's all really gonna depend on your taste buds. From the given information your wicks will probably last between 12-17 days.

I drip with a .13 at 200w with some coil eating juice and I usually get like 10 days.

As for the actual coils themselves, you can use a wire brush to clean them after you take out the dirty wicks. It's a simple process, take wicks out, turn your wattage down a bit and gently get your coils red hot, then brush their teeth. You can make a set of coils last pretty much as long as you want imo, I've gone a year with some builds.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Lol, welcome to the club. I still remember my first coil that actually worked. It's a big step :)

A couple of pointers:

*19W is harder than I would push a 1.2Ω coil. On that coil I wouldn't be above 13-14W, and if I was I'd expect to need a new wick rather more often. I think you'll probably get better results in that wattage range-- especially if you like cooler vape-- in the .85-.9Ω range. I vape about like you do-- rare for me to see 40 W-- and I usually stick to mid-20s on a .7Ω and go up into the mid 30s on a .5Ω rig, especially since I prefer to build duals.

*Ditch the 24ga wire. It's for much lower coils. In fact, at those ranges, your 28ga is pushing it. You might try a small spool of 32ga, and coil diameters not exceeding 2.5mm. I did, when I was vaping in that range.

*Try Stainless 316 wire and rayon wicks. You might not like them, but many do, including your humble servant.

*Savvy Steam Engine? Specifically, the thermal flux output? It's a way to get the power radiating from the surface of the wire, regardless of the type of wire or kind of coil(s) you build, in the right range so you get the vape you want. If not, reply and quote this message, and I will teach you.

Good luck, and welcome to the club. There are any number of people around here who can help you, and will be happy to do so.

WistfulChipmunk

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2017
Lol, welcome to the club. I still remember my first coil that actually worked. It's a big step :)

A couple of pointers:

*19W is harder than I would push a 1.2Ω coil. On that coil I wouldn't be above 13-14W, and if I was I'd expect to need a new wick rather more often. I think you'll probably get better results in that wattage range-- especially if you like cooler vape-- in the .85-.9Ω range. I vape about like you do-- rare for me to see 40 W-- and I usually stick to mid-20s on a .7Ω and go up into the mid 30s on a .5Ω rig, especially since I prefer to build duals.

*Ditch the 24ga wire. It's for much lower coils. In fact, at those ranges, your 28ga is pushing it. You might try a small spool of 32ga, and coil diameters not exceeding 2.5mm. I did, when I was vaping in that range.

*Try Stainless 316 wire and rayon wicks. You might not like them, but many do, including your humble servant.

*Savvy Steam Engine? Specifically, the thermal flux output? It's a way to get the power radiating from the surface of the wire, regardless of the type of wire or kind of coil(s) you build, in the right range so you get the vape you want. If not, reply and quote this message, and I will teach you.

Good luck, and welcome to the club. There are any number of people around here who can help you, and will be happy to do so.

Hey the lower wattage setting seems to be a lot better now that you mention it! Thanks for the suggestion! I'm still getting my head wrapped around steam engine but it's starting to make sense! Once I get to the point that I understand it enough to actually form a coherent question–I'll be sure to ask! :p

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hey the lower wattage setting seems to be a lot better now that you mention it! Thanks for the suggestion! I'm still getting my head wrapped around steam engine but it's starting to make sense! Once I get to the point that I understand it enough to actually form a coherent question–I'll be sure to ask! :p
Good enough. I'm around, just ping me in any thread and ask. Nor am I alone. There are a great many coil builders about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread