RDA First RDA, need coil advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

dms25

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2014
Switzerland
Hi, I've just got my 1st RDA, a Hadaly by Psyclone... Bottom feeding it through my 1st mech mod (Mölly by L'Atelier)

I usually build my coils at around 1ohm and vape at 21watts (rta)

I was thinking with this setup I'd like to build my coil around 0.5 - 0.6 ohm

I was building my coil with my 26ga Kanthal and realised for an 0.6ohm I would only give it 4 wraps with a 3mm diameter... That felt too few wraps so I gave it 6 and ended up with a 0.95ohm which I'm vaping on as I write this, I love it but I wanted a little more ooohmpf out of this setup...

My question is, aiming for 0.5, what's better:

-26g, 3mm, 4 wraps
-24g, 3mm and 6 wraps

I only ever used 26g... do I need to get some thicker wire if I want more powerful single coils?

dms25

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2014
Switzerland
Usually 24ga for single coil. 5-6 wraps on 3mm, .5ohm
Been meaning to try a parallel 26ga tho.

That's exactly what I thought I might need, off to purchase some 24g then!

For my single coil I use juggernaut coil 6 wraps 3mm id. For tc single coil I use 24g parallel coil 8wraps 3.5id ss316l

I guess I'm a vaping purist, single coil, simple Kanthal, I really don't want anything fancy

Reactions: puffon

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

I only ever used 26g... do I need to get some thicker wire if I want more powerful single coils?

I use a NarDa on a Mech Squonker a lot. The NarDa is very Similar to the Hadaly.

For me, I don't like to use a Thicker Wire than 26ga for a Single Coil. Because I get Slow Ramp-Ups (which I can Kinda take) and Slow Ramp-Downs (which I Really Hate).

I would suggest trying some 26ga 316L Stainless Steel.

With SS, I can get a Better Hit on a Mech than with Kanthal or NiChrome 80. But still have enough Wraps on a 3mm Coil without a Slow Ramp-Up/Ramp-Down.

dms25

ECF Veteran
May 13, 2014
Switzerland
Simple coils work best in a single 18650 mech mod.
The Mölly by L'Atelier looks like a nice squonker...:thumb:

It is indeed!

I use a NarDa on a Mech Squonker a lot. The NarDa is very Similar to the Hadaly.

For me, I don't like to use a Thicker Wire than 26ga for a Single Coil. Because I get Slow Ramp-Ups (which I can Kinda take) and Slow Ramp-Downs (which I Really Hate).

I would suggest trying some 26ga 316L Stainless Steel.

With SS, I can get a Better Hit on a Mech than with Kanthal or NiChrome 80. But still have enough Wraps on a 3mm Coil without a Slow Ramp-Up/Ramp-Down.

Sorry for my ignorance, what exactly is Ramp-Ups/Downs?

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Sorry for my ignorance, what exactly is Ramp-Ups/Downs?

No Problem.

Ramp-Up time is the time it takes the Coil to reach a Vaping Temperature. Fast Ramp-Ups gives you a Hit that starts almost Instantly. Where Slow Ramp-Ups the Hit kinda Builds until it gets to Full Strength.

Slow Ramp Down is the Direct Opposite. The Time it takes for the Coil to Cool Down.

With a Slow Ramp Down, when I take my finger Off the Power Button, the Coil takes awhile to Cool Off. And it keeps making vapor. If I don't keep Inhaling, the e-Liquid at the Coil tends to get Scorched. And my coils Gunk Up faster.

I also don't like the Sound of a Hissing Coil when I have released the Power Button.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread