glycerin vs. vg

Status
Not open for further replies.

kgonepostl

ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
That's sort of my point. We want to be careful but don't know how as there are two many unknown variables. The body's reaction to a substance is very meaningful: I feel listless, have memory loss and have tingling on the skin when vaping even small amounts. I'll not risk kidney failure or brain damage - whatever - two years down the road because of my _hope_ that this is safer than cigs. Folks on this forum do a disservice when they cite the badness of smoking as an argument to the benefit of vaping ; that is just a distraction and does not dismiss the question of the saftey of PG or VG.

I think I'll try something you mentioned in another thread: vap alchohol/H20 and natural flavoring with no VG or PG. Nix the NIC. (thanks for that suggestion) .. Did you continue that practice or was that just a one time experiment?

DYOD

Did he just honestly say the bold part?

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
That's sort of my point. We want to be careful but don't know how as there are two many unknown variables. The body's reaction to a substance is very meaningful: I feel listless, have memory loss and have tingling on the skin when vaping even small amounts. I'll not risk kidney failure or brain damage - whatever - two years down the road because of my _hope_ that this is safer than cigs. Folks on this forum do a disservice when they cite the badness of smoking as an argument to the benefit of vaping ; that is just a distraction and does not dismiss the question of the saftey of PG or VG.

And once again this thing lost everything I typed when I tried to post!!!!:-x

Hanna

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2009
PG in particular is used in inhaled medication and for lung transplant patients, that suggests it's reasonably benign, at least in the short term.
I use an inhalent for my lung medication, albuterol is one of them, the other one is the atomized version of atrovent. Do you suppose those are pg based also?

C-Royd

May 14, 2009
Toronto
Jaaxx wrote a post recently about glycerine and how it was made. Not all glycerine is of vegetable origin but if it's USP grade it doesn't matter.

My understanding is that I can use "Glycerine" frmo a local shop instead of "Vegetable Glycerine" from a health food store, is this correct? I know, I should use Vegetable Glycerine instead of Glycerine.

Fumes

Jan 29, 2010
Florida
OK folks,

Glycerin is used in suppositories. When you get bleach on your hands they get slippery, thats because the fatty acids in your skin get reduced to glycerin. ON and on,

but Joe Smog left a link and I didnt like:

"Toxic gases and vapors may be released if involved in a fire. Glycerin decomposes upon heating above 290C, forming corrosive gas (acrolein)."

Thats 550 F. Im sure an atomizer gets hotter than that.

This could be a serious problem. I will continue to investigate.

Fumes.

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
My understanding is that I can use "Glycerine" frmo a local shop instead of "Vegetable Glycerine" from a health food store, is this correct? I know, I should use Vegetable Glycerine instead of Glycerine.

It's USP grade Glycerine you should use.

"Toxic gases and vapors may be released if involved in a fire. Glycerin decomposes upon heating above 290C, forming corrosive gas (acrolein)."

Thats 550 F. Im sure an atomizer gets hotter than that.

This could be a serious problem. I will continue to investigate.

That bit is missing something very important: Glycerine turns into acrolein when it is heated hermetially sealed! If there is oxygen when it's heated, that is not a problem.

Fumes

Jan 29, 2010
Florida
It's USP grade Glycerine you should use.

That bit is missing something very important: Glycerine turns into acrolein when it is heated hermetially sealed! If there is oxygen when it's heated, that is not a problem.

Yes it does, .... is also produced: (by just plain heating, or incomplete combustion, like when cornered between atty and cart) maybe...

1.5 Production and Uses

The world production of isolated acrolein was estimated to be
59 kilotonnes in 1975. However, a large amount is also produced as an
intermediate in the synthesis of acrylic acid and its esters. The
compound is a product of the incomplete combustion, or chemical
degradation by heat, of organic materials, such as fuels, synthetic
polymers, food, and tobacco. Acrolein is of rare natural occurrence.
The substance is primarily used as an intermediate in chemical
synthesis and as an aquatic biocide.

Acrolein (HSG 67, 1991)

Fumes

AlexTM

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Cologne, Germany
www.dampfzeichen.de
This matter has been discussed to death several times. Just search the forum for Acrolein and you are burried in threads which all have one result: Nothing to worry about.

And most certainly, analogs are worse. There is also glycerine in most of them, anyway, so smoking does not even evade the problem. Not to mention that if anybody is seriously worried about acrolein, simply use plain PG juice.

Fumes

Jan 29, 2010
Florida
This matter has been discussed to death several times. Just search the forum for Acrolein and you are burried in threads which all have one result: Nothing to worry about.

And most certainly, analogs are worse. There is also glycerine in most of them, anyway, so smoking does not even evade the problem. Not to mention that if anybody is seriously worried about acrolein, simply use plain PG juice.

Yes AlexTM,

Analogues are worse, much worse. I hope you are right, I am still a newbie and this forum is HUGE. I will read the threads on acrolein. Anway, ppl have obviously been vaping for quite some time with no special negative effects noted.

Thanks for responding
Fumes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread