Glycerin USP vs. "food grade"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyd

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2010
idaho
I was looking at all of this really close a while back because I was trying to find some locally in my area - I came across USP Glycerin in CVS - It did say NOT for internal - external use only - BUT a pharmacist on board here replied to the thread and stated the it's ALL mfr'd by Humco labs - and it was all the same - I've been using it for over a month now and it works perfect with NO side effects at all - I did see the Wiltons at Michael's and other than the label - it looked IDENTICAL - you'd be surprised at how many name brand pharmaceutical mfr's make both the brand and the generic - both are exactly identical, but called different names ! I was in the wholesale pharmaceutical business for years and I've seen that first hand - the generic would cost $1.25 and the brand would cost $10.25 and they were both identical, but you'd have a hard time trying to convince someone of that who was hung up on name brands.

Just my .02 worth !

I use the glycerin from walmart. 99.5% glycerin .5% water. I contacted Humco and they told me it was vegetable based, and yes from what I have heard Humco manufactures all the glycerin sold in the U.S. It is then bought in bulk by other companies and they just put their own label on it.

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
I use the glycerin from walmart. 99.5% glycerin .5% water. I contacted Humco and they told me it was vegetable based, and yes from what I have heard Humco manufactures all the glycerin sold in the U.S. It is then bought in bulk by other companies and they just put their own label on it.

I have also purchased and have been using the Humco brand Glycerin USP from Walmart, but I've been trying to find 100% pure VG and just found the NOW brand at a good price, 16oz for $5.39 and with shipping it's less than $11. They also accept Paypal.

You can check it here and read the specifics which includes that "... it is pure enough to be taken internally."

:thumb:

Shortstuff116

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Bellingham, MA
I got the "food grade" VG from americaneliquidstore.com.

I just mixed it up and started vaping it... should I be concerned?

What are the dangers of vaping it if it isn't USP?

There are a lot of "unkowns" about vaping and the use of other than USP or 100% pure VG, well no one really knows. I had bought some Wiltons brand glycerine and it didn't have the USP on the bottle so I opted not to use it. I'm currently using just the USP and will use the NOW VG once it gets here.

It's really a judgement call, but if you can get glycerin with a USP seal, then you should be ok with it. Just no guarantees.

:thumb:

757girl

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2009
Virginia Beach, VA
I just purchase the VG from the suppliers in my order. But what's funny is....This is the same stuff alot of women use in their hair because it is an humectant and will draw moisture from the air. I don't use any relaxers in my hair (if anyone knows about relaxers and perms then they know what I'm speaking of) but this stuff is amazing for hair also lol And alot of natural hair women use the NOW brand.

I was thinking about this earlier when I received my package in the mail that this is the same stuff.

Last edited:

sjohnson

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2009
If it's also marked "USP, Glycerine" the external use only statement is simply a legal disclaimer. The company marketing that glycerine doesn't want any legal entanglement arising from internal usage.

USP is USP is USP, it means the glycerine was produced and packaged to the highest legal standard of purity in the U.S., regardless of what CYA a corporate lawyer decided needed to be on the bottle.

Rocketman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2009
SouthEastern Louisiana
Limit of liability is correct. If I was going to introduce counterfeit Glycerin into the market to save money, I would slip in a couple of 55 gallons drums of industrial, cow rubbing glycerin into a tanker truck of baby .... wipping glycerin and sell it as Food Grade.
Not my fault you vaped it.
USP grade synthetic Glycerin, Glycerin made from pig squeezins, and Vegetable Glycerin can all be purified to USP levels, and legally even called food grade (yuk). A few tenths of a percent of contaminants might not hurt, right? Glycerin can be made from a lot of stuff. I like mine made from vegetation.
In fact, I would like some powerful organization to conduct surveillance over the process that produces the Vegetable Glycerin I buy for vaping (not necessary for Cow or baby butts). FDA is one.

Does anybody know what Kosher Certified means?

Rocket

slin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SoCal
I was looking at all of this really close a while back because I was trying to find some locally in my area - I came across USP Glycerin in CVS - It did say NOT for internal - external use only - BUT a pharmacist on board here replied to the thread and stated the it's ALL mfr'd by Humco labs - and it was all the same - I've been using it for over a month now and it works perfect with NO side effects at all - I did see the Wiltons at Michael's and other than the label - it looked IDENTICAL - you'd be surprised at how many name brand pharmaceutical mfr's make both the brand and the generic - both are exactly identical, but called different names ! I was in the wholesale pharmaceutical business for years and I've seen that first hand - the generic would cost $1.25 and the brand would cost $10.25 and they were both identical, but you'd have a hard time trying to convince someone of that who was hung up on name brands.

Just my .02 worth !
I don't really care what the pharmacist said on board, or USP grade. If it say NOT FOR INTERNAL, I will not use it for internal .....period. Because I dont really know, I just have to follow direction. Then again FDA said E CIG are BAD......hummmmmmmm things that make you go hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm

KILLERkpd

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2010
East Coast
I went out and bought some USP glycerin from CVS last night, 99.5% glycerin anhydrous, I vaped it all last night and I have had no issues and it did not taste like anything, or I couldnt taste it over the menthol flavoring I had added into my juice.

One thing to note, it did not state on the bottle what the other .5% was, I assumed it was safe because of the USP grading on the bottle.

GoodDog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2009
SF East Bay
Well, I thought I was being helpful by posting the link to information about USP VG & PG. However, now I know that you don't need my help, slin, so I won't worry about ever doing that again. Many of us here spend a lot of our time helping those new to DIY and the last thing we want in return is rudeness!

Travis798

ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
Oklahoma
Well, I thought I was being helpful by posting the link to information about USP VG & PG. However, now I know that you don't need my help, slin, so I won't worry about ever doing that again. Many of us here spend a lot of our time helping those new to DIY and the last thing we want in return is rudeness!

Don't worry GoodDog, someone will find that link and be grateful. It's kind of funny that he will NOT go against label and use it internally, but he will use a product internally that, without usp labeling, is probably not manufactured to the same standards.

slin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2010
SoCal
oh sorry , i wasn't trying to be rude. I really appreciate this forum and learning a lot. SORRY again if I came across as rude.

Last edited:

tdh

Aug 16, 2010
Muncie, IN, USA
I disagree on this one GoodDog, but mostly because of personal experience and lack of information. I have never read the USP-ND or food chemicals codex, but since the allowed DEG/EG limit was lowered in 2009 to 0.1%, I think I would rather go with the one that is used in the icing of millions of cakes every year. If it was USP certified, I would feel better about it, though. USP grade could, for all I know, contain as much as 1% methanol or isopropyl alcohol, which would be perfectly safe for external use, but is unlikely to be sold as a food product. Again, I have never seen the actual docs so I don't know what is prohibited in USP VG.

That food-grade stuff isn't always safe to inhale is a valid point, though. I just think that in the case of VG, USP grade isn't necessarily any better. The only bad VG experience I have had, by the way, was from a bottle that was labeled as both food grade and USP (not certified).

Edit:
I forgot to mention that a lot of USP grade is also safe for internal use. Some companies produce "external use only" and internal use VG that are actually exactly the same. Since USP defines a minimum standard, the best/purest/safest sources are probably USP certified.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread