Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdancehawk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Kansas City, Missouri
Ok, I'm way overdue in joining this forum. My name is Mike and I am the federal lobbyist for SFATA. Yep, it's my job to change the FDA deeming rule and more. Gonna need all of your help and hard work - but fun also likely to be had.

Let's do this!
The FSPTCA was never intended to cover e-cigarettes. Regulating e-cigarettes in the manner required by that statute leads to harmful consequences and absurd results. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the consequences will be deadly.

The best remedy would be to simply amend the FSPTCA to exclude e-cigarette products from the definition of "tobacco product" and at the same time enact a new statute which would allow continued product improvements and market expansion (which will happen in the rest of the world) and provide for common sense regulations dealing with product purity and harmful ingredients. I realize that there a those here who oppose all regulation. I understand that point of view, but it's not going to happen.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Welcome, Mike the federal lobbyist for SFATA!

SO glad you joined us and we welcome the opportunity to join you. This great group of people definitely know how to work hard.... and yeppers, we like to have a bit of fun along the way, too!

Here's to your success! OUR success! :toast:

Welcome, Mike! GLAD to have ya!!!

@Katdarling ...

Thank you, sweets.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks for the warm welcome. It probably won't happen until next year, but this is the plan: Step 1 - change predicate date so all current products can remain. Step 2 - move vaping regulation outside of punitive Center for Tobacco Product regime to encourage harm reduction. Going to need all of your help tho!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the ECF Mike.

So How Exactly can a Business or Individual give you the Help that you Need?

Hi,

I'm Lona and I live in Athens, GR.

I'm 44 years old and smoked rollies from the age of 20 until April this year when I started vaping. The difference in stamina and overall health has been quite astonishing, in all subtlety. I quit conventional smoking. I felt poisoned.

Anyway, started with a standard clearomizer and the Vaporflask Stout, moved on to ceramic coils and a better clearo but also began to flirt, so to speak, with the idea of building my own coils. Two weeks ago I made the 'big step' and got myself the Le Mirage by Vaponaute and haven't stopped looping them coils to be honest. I also read a lot about batteries, mech mods and more advanced wattage-resistance-power relations and the mechanics of all that. You guessed right, I will make the transition to mech mods, if not just yet it is probably inevitable that I do.

At the moment I am very happy building single and dual coils on the Mirage (although I take Aspire's Nautilus X to work) firing it on a Joyetech eVic VTwo Mini, which gives out this gentle, stable and constant-ish power straight to them coils, also very pleased with these LG HG2 batteries, solid power cramped up in that tiny (well, compared to a 26650) 18650 cell.

That's all for now folks, nice to be part of this community and 'see you around'....

Take care,

Lona

Attachments

• X.jpg
    X.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
Welcome! And thank you for fighting for the vapers ! I have a question and that is if Vaping is categorized as harm reduction does that mean it will be regulated as a drug rather than tobacco product ?

Thanks Bnrkwest, I guess the best answer is "not necessarily". If vapor products want to market as a "Modified Risk Tobacco Product (MRTP) the FDA has a separate (also impossible) application process for that. But I think our goal is to win in the court of public perception and the Congress will make new rules for us that FDA will have to implement. Thanks my take, and I think we as a community can get that done (I'm only stockpiling a little:)

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
Welcome to the ECF Mike.

So How Exactly can a Business or Individual give you the Help that you Need?

ZoiDman, it's kind of like the snowball effect. The boss of FDA is Congress. Contrary to popular opinion, they are actually quite sensitive to public (our) opinion. I have seen and been involved in dozens of issue campaigns and have no doubt that if 40% of us would have a conversation with one local reporter, and two staffers for our uS Senators, they would change the grandfather date - allowing all products currently in the market to stay on the market- and then create a smarter regulatory structure for vaping . So that's it: talk to one local reporter, and your two Senate staffer LD who handle FDA issues.

Please?????

Truthdog

ECF Veteran
Jul 9, 2016
Washington, DC
The FSPTCA was never intended to cover e-cigarettes. Regulating e-cigarettes in the manner required by that statute leads to harmful consequences and absurd results. I don't think it's an exaggeration to say the consequences will be deadly.

The best remedy would be to simply amend the FSPTCA to exclude e-cigarette products from the definition of "tobacco product" and at the same time enact a new statute which would allow continued product improvements and market expansion (which will happen in the rest of the world) and provide for common sense regulations dealing with product purity and harmful ingredients. I realize that there a those here who oppose all regulation. I understand that point of view, but it's not going to happen.

You are right BDH, I was the chief of staff for a Senator when we passed FSPTCA and we never really discussed e-cigs. That said, we have America Cancer Society, CTFK, Amer Heart, Lung, Pediatrics, etc telling them that we ARE big tobacco and we're going after their kids. I Sh/t you not, they are buying that. So ONLY if we tell our story enough and well enough will we change minds and Votes. Right now, we need Senate Dems most of all but mostly More US Senators coming out in support of vaping as harm reduction and small business job creation. I'm so please you guys are so passionate and willing to fight!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
ZoiDman, it's kind of like the snowball effect. The boss of FDA is Congress. Contrary to popular opinion, they are actually quite sensitive to public (our) opinion. I have seen and been involved in dozens of issue campaigns and have no doubt that if 40% of us would have a conversation with one local reporter, and two staffers for our uS Senators, they would change the grandfather date - allowing all products currently in the market to stay on the market- and then create a smarter regulatory structure for vaping . So that's it: talk to one local reporter, and your two Senate staffer LD who handle FDA issues.

Please?????

I think the Media is a Perfect Vehicle that is unrealized by most e-Cigarette users. And Every Vaper should contact their State and Local Representatives.

What would be some Key talking points that you would suggest to someone who is Contacting the Media? And what points would a Business Owner want to Focus on?

Also, is there Anything that you would Recommend Not Saying? Either for fear of Mis-Understanding. Or for the Possibility of having something quoted Out of Context?

Bronze

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2012
'm so please you guys are so passionate and willing to fight!
Some of us would make you look like a lightweight. :)

Just kiddin'. Some of us have been politically deep for many years and end up on the losing side more than the winning side so we are quite cynical of politicians and unelected regulators. We can cite 19.3 trillion reasons why. So we get our rocks off when we can shove their crap back in their faces. Nothing beats their big money donors better than the fear of their constituents voting them out of office.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread