Help with Recoil RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madlool

Feb 15, 2017
I am new to RDAs, the recoil is my first RDA. The hits tastes kinda dry. I am sure I am using the right amout of cotton (just a bit of resistance without it moving the coil when I slide it throw). I am also sure that the cotton is saturated and the juice well underneath has juice in it. I am using a pair of fused clapton coils, 32 wrapped around 28 cores, 7 wraps at 0.38 ohms at around 50 watts. I have also tried 21 AWG SS wire at 0.14 ohms with 11 wraps I think.
I have also tried an SS staggered fused wire as well, similar dry taste/after taste when I hit it.

I made sure that there werent any hotspots and the coil burns evenly before I wicked it.

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions are appreciated

Here are a couple of pics of my latest build. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet and Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

The links keep getting deleted for some reason.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I am new to RDAs, the recoil is my first RDA. The hits tastes kinda dry. I am sure I am using the right amout of cotton (just a bit of resistance without it moving the coil when I slide it throw). I am also sure that the cotton is saturated and the juice well underneath has juice in it. I am using a pair of fused clapton coils, 32 wrapped around 28 cores, 7 wraps at 0.38 ohms at around 50 watts. I have also tried 21 AWG SS wire at 0.14 ohms with 11 wraps I think.
I have also tried an SS staggered fused wire as well, similar dry taste/after taste when I hit it.

I made sure that there werent any hotspots and the coil burns evenly before I wicked it.

Here are a couple of pics of my latest build. Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet and Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

1.jpg
2.jpg

Start at Half your current voltages watts.
Use Steam engine to calculate Heat flux Coil wrapping

Cheers
I

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Welcome and glad you joined. Might be burning your juice. Might like to turn your voltage/wattage down, take a few hits, bump it up, couple more hits. Repeat until you find your "sweet spot". If the vape taste bad, back it down. Different flavors/atomizers will have different sweet spots so you may have to experiment with the power settings. Could try the same juice on another set up, could be the mix.
Might like to read:
All About Sub-Ohm Vaping - The Perks and the Problems
What is Sub Ohm Vaping? Our Sub Ohm Vaping Guide & Tips
Battery safety
Care and Use of 510, eGo and Variable Voltage Batteries
ECF Sub-Ohm Advisory

Reactions: Darth Omerta

Darth Omerta

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2015
I know you mentioned that you're sure its the right amount of cotton but if its rolled too tight or twisted up inside the coil then you might not be getting proper absorption. Im just double checking as wicking can be very finnicky and could be the source without even knowing it.

Apart from that then I would guess that the wattage is too high and I would agree with @Izan suggestion to reduce your wattage by half and work your way up slowly until you find the sweet spot for your build. Using the Heat Flux calculator on steam engine is another excellent method to figure out the ideal wattage for your build.

Smoke_too_much

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2016
Less power and/or tighter/less airflow gives more taste and a bit less cloud. For me 50 w on a .38 ohm coil is a bit high. To give an example of the 2 vapes in front of me I have a 0.21 ohms at 45 w and a 0.24 ohms at 40 w. It all depends though on what you like, the juice your vaping, and the tank you are using. Whatever works for you.

Reactions: Izan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread