Here's a pic of my polypropylene tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

craftmath

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 16, 2011
Wilson, NC
And if this is the case, with the nylon washer having NO give, I plan to dremel the hole so that the cartomizer is snug, and then placing a grove in the OD of the washer for an oring to fit nicely in. Fingers crossed that it works. I like the grommets, but I would be much happier with an endcap similar to what most sale with their tanks. WHERE DO THEY GET THEM FROM!!!???!!!???

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Hmm, I doubt there will be much, if any, give in that nylon, but we'll see how it works out for you.

Nylon 6/6 Shoulder Washer, 0.310" ID, 0.500" OD, 0.190" Thick, 0.750" Shoulder Diameter, 0.44" Length (Pack of 50) | SmallParts.com

The only thing I'm not sure of his how much "give" the washer will have being that its nylon. If there is NO give, the cartomizer will not fit and the OD of the washer will not expand to fit tightly with the ID of the polytubing.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
I'd like to know where they get them from myself.

And if this is the case, with the nylon washer having NO give, I plan to dremel the hole so that the cartomizer is snug, and then placing a grove in the OD of the washer for an oring to fit nicely in. Fingers crossed that it works. I like the grommets, but I would be much happier with an endcap similar to what most sale with their tanks. WHERE DO THEY GET THEM FROM!!!???!!!???

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
Aww c'mon, can't have too many tanks. Just gotta buy more pv's to put them on. :)

As the op of this thread, I had the same concerns about a nylon washer, being that there is no flexibility for an acceptable seal. I went ahead and ran a coop for the new polypropylene DCTanks, and now I'm done with fiddling around on this. I have as many tanks as I'll ever need, and I'm happy.

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs
I love all the brainpower we can generate as a collective :)

Through all of your great ideas, I made myself a really nice tank. I find myself in a similar situation as my4jewels was in before she scored a bunch on a coop, I at least want a dozen tanks for all my DIY flavors. It's nice to be able to pick a different tank and flavor to take to work every day. I followed the link to McMaster to get the tubing, and since they are like a toy store to someone like me, I browsed the site for a while. I found some high temp silicon grommets that looked like they would work, so I got 'em... and they worked. My thoughts were that silicone should neither degrade nor affect flavor, nor leach chemicals into the nicjuice. They're also orange/red for a little color. Link- McMaster-Carr I got some o rings for my existing tanks and more o rings for drip tips (those are backordered currently....I bet our vendors have been here too!) I finished it off with a fill port and a computer case screw for a plug. I can put in a flat computer screw of the same thread type if I want to make it smooth and sleek. The fill port is almost a must, these grommets are really tight when in the tube. I was afraid they wouldn't seal around the carto, but when squeezed into the tubing they compress around it. It was tricky getting them in with the carto just right, but they aren't going to slide or leak. No o rings needed, except of course on the drip tip.

hometank.jpg

familiarstranger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2010
OC, CA
Can you post part numbers for your supplies? I'm having trouble locating the right size grommet on McMaster-Carr

I love all the brainpower we can generate as a collective :)

Through all of your great ideas, I made myself a really nice tank. I find myself in a similar situation as my4jewels was in before she scored a bunch on a coop, I at least want a dozen tanks for all my DIY flavors. It's nice to be able to pick a different tank and flavor to take to work every day. I followed the link to McMaster to get the tubing, and since they are like a toy store to someone like me, I browsed the site for a while. I found some high temp silicon grommets that looked like they would work, so I got 'em... and they worked. My thoughts were that silicone should neither degrade nor affect flavor, nor leach chemicals into the nicjuice. They're also orange/red for a little color. Link- McMaster-Carr I got some o rings for my existing tanks and more o rings for drip tips (those are backordered currently....I bet our vendors have been here too!) I finished it off with a fill port and a computer case screw for a plug. I can put in a flat computer screw of the same thread type if I want to make it smooth and sleek. The fill port is almost a must, these grommets are really tight when in the tube. I was afraid they wouldn't seal around the carto, but when squeezed into the tubing they compress around it. It was tricky getting them in with the carto just right, but they aren't going to slide or leak. No o rings needed, except of course on the drip tip.

View attachment 106791

Bourbonman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 7, 2012
Chicago burbs
The grommets I used were part #1061T83
The tubing was part #5392K17

I put a socket (from a socket wrench set) inside the tubing and just used a regular plumbing pipe cutter to cut lengths off. It gives a pretty nice cut edge, I sanded the first one, and it didn't really look better enough to be worth it. I just cut the rest and used them.

Dracconus

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2012
www.facebook.com
For those of you who are wondering about the polypropylene tubing I've been using to replace my polycarbonate tubing on my tanks, I thought I'd post a pic for you.

This one uses a couple of liquinator caps. This tubing will fit on all of the popular tanks that use a 5/8" x 3/4" od tubing.

400580716.jpg

Have you ever thought about using Tygon PVC? It's what we used when I worked in the food industry for HUNDREDS of different things. Every commercial coffee/icecream machine in the world uses one pretty much. Holds up well over time, non-imparting, and prevents bacterial growth, plus you can autoclave it in gas, or steam.

Zonablazer

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2012
Sierra Vista, AZ
Last edited:

sportyfortyeight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2011
dfw,texas,usa
I was lookin at the tygon and it seems it might work well and comes clear but SO many types. Not sure what grade would be best for what we would use it for.

Edit.. after looking into it some it seems 2375 would work but I'm not a plastic expert. It is a bit more expensive but is also clear... Any thoughts for using it for tanks

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread