Hit is too hot

Status
Not open for further replies.

grim

Jul 17, 2009
Hi guys.

I recently upgraded from a very simple
Vape pen to a Kanger Subox mini and the person at the shop was very knowledgable and helped me a great deal.

The first day was great and I enjoyed it very much.

I was using a 0.5 coil set to 30w (box goes up to 50w). Anyway, I went to set up a different tank with a different flavor so I could easily switch it up.

It's the exact same tank that came with the Subox and the same coils. I dropped some juice in the coil like the instructions said before use to prime it and filled it and let it sit for a while.

On the same setting it is burning the crap out of my throat. So I turned it down to 18w and its managable. I noticed the coils say 15-30w and the mixture of the juices are both 50/50 pg/vg. I'm at a loss cause the one he set me up with wasn't hitting hot or harsh but now the one I set up is.

Any thoughts on this? Could it be because one was 6 mg and the other is 12? They're the same brand just different flavors.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
Nicotine can indeed make a difference in how harsh a juice is. Flavors will make a difference as well. For instance, fruits will be harsher than creamy, dessert type flavors. It really does sound like that may be what is happening.

If you are enjoying the vape at 18W, why not just stay at 18w with the flavor and nicotine that you are currently using? You may also notice that your battery charge lasts a bit longer.

You will find that you need to dial in your "sweet spot" with each flavor that you use. They will not all be good at the same wattage.

Hang in there and good luck!

Reactions: thetrucker

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
12 mg in a Subtank would be harsh. Buy the same flavor in a zero nic and mix it equally with teh 12 mg and you'll have a 6 mg . 6mg in a subtank is the high average from what I've seen in the forum. Most people are 3 mg or less when going sub ohms.

The rule of thumb for EVERY vape device you'll ever own is the same. Start low power, take a draw and

bump the power up to repeat. If it starts to taste funny, gets too hot or tastes burnt, back it down.

Different flavors will have different sweet spots so you just have to experiment.

grim

Jul 17, 2009
Thanks everyone.

Went back to my 6mg and it's a lot less harsh so I'll just stay there.

On a side note: the reason I went up in nicotine is I'm trying to quit tobacco but I'm not a smoker.

I used Swedish snus for some time and was going through a can of portions a day. I then tried to use dip but that just added to the vice so my nicotine habit/addiction just got out of control. So the owner of the store recommended higher nicotine just to curb the cravings but I'll just step back down to 6mg and keep some gum on hand.

Thanks again for the help.

Reactions: salemgold

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I agree with the owner of that store. Use the strength that it takes to get you off tobacco. Don't be concerned about the strength at this point.

I started ( before sub ohm and even VV) at 36 mg nic. There is no doubt in my mind that I would not still be tobacco free 5.5 years later had I been afraid to use a higher strength.

Hang in there. You can do this.

Reactions: tckenno

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
Take a pin and poke and/or loosen some of the cotton by the holes in the chimney. They pack the cotton too tight in some of the heads and the cotton can't keep up with the coil, especially running higher power levels. The cotton has expanded by now and restricting the juice flow to the coil, and causing the coil to get too hot with little to no juice to burn and your throat gets scorched. Youtube Kanger subtank coil fix and have a look at what they say.
I vape 12 nic in my subtanks and TFV4's with .5 to 1.4 ohm builds. I just learned not to inhale every vape and the ones I inhale aren't super hits.

herb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2014
Northern NJ native , Coastal NC now.
Hi guys.
On the same setting it is burning the crap out of my throat. So I turned it down to 18w and its managable. I noticed the coils say 15-30w and the mixture of the juices are both 50/50 pg/vg. I'm at a loss cause the one he set me up with wasn't hitting hot or harsh but now the one I set up is.

Any thoughts on this? Could it be because one was 6 mg and the other is 12? They're the same brand just different flavors.

I busted out laughing when i read the "burning the crap out of my throat part " so i'm giving your post a very enthusiastic :thumbs: just for making me laugh .

Yeah , i know, i have a very odd sense of humor .

Reactions: thetrucker

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Hi guys.

I recently upgraded from a very simple
Vape pen to a Kanger Subox mini and the person at the shop was very knowledgable and helped me a great deal.

The first day was great and I enjoyed it very much.

I was using a 0.5 coil set to 30w (box goes up to 50w). Anyway, I went to set up a different tank with a different flavor so I could easily switch it up.

It's the exact same tank that came with the Subox and the same coils. I dropped some juice in the coil like the instructions said before use to prime it and filled it and let it sit for a while.

Sounds like you are burning the wick.

Never start a coil at full power like that. You should start low and work up.

1. Some OCC heads are crammed with cotton and don't wick very well. That is what got me started rebuilding the OCC heads.

2. Changing the juice to a thicker VG juice causes wicking issues too.

Start low and work up. When you get to the edge of the OCC heads back down 2-3 watts so you don't burn the wick.

The edge as I call it you're going along with moist Vapes. The edge you will get a dry vape lacking in flavor. Then back down the power.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread