How much nic are we really getting from vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Prior to sub-ohm vaping, the general consensus of comparing nic strength of cigarettes to vaping was as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg
When using sub-ohm gear, nic is generally lowered to 3 - 6mg nic strength, although I've read of a few individuals who use higher.

I suggest you try 6mg to see if you are able to cut your e-liquid consumption. You'll know if you are using too much nic if the vapor is too harsh or you get headaches or dizziness.

Reactions: mountaingal

Newtothevapelyf3

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2016
Prior to sub-ohm vaping, the general consensus of comparing nic strength of cigarettes to vaping was as follows:

1/2 pack per day or less = 6 mg nicotine
1 ppd = 12 mg
1 1/2 ppd = 18 mg
2 ppd = 24 mg
When using sub-ohm gear, nic is generally lowered to 3 - 6mg nic strength, although I've read of a few individuals who use higher.

I suggest you try 6mg to see if you are able to cut your e-liquid consumption. You'll know if you are using too much nic if the vapor is too harsh or you get headaches or dizziness.
See i'm not getting headaches or dizziness haha. That's the thing. I'm used to smoking a pack of American spirits a day. That's why i'm worried

Reactions: mountaingal

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Ontario
See i'm not getting headaches or dizziness haha. That's the thing. I'm used to smoking a pack of American spirits a day. That's why i'm worried

If you're not smoking you got almost nothing to worry about.
Cutting out or limiting nic may lead some back to smoking.
Our fix needs to be met. Or we may find excuses to relapse back to tobacco.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
what does everyone vape ? I'm going through about 8-12 ml a day, of 3 mg nic . I'm sub ohming of course. Are we getting more nic than we were smoking? Also, is there a reliable way to find out how many cigs are equal to e juice?
I am still wondering why you seem to be so very concerned about the nicotine. What difference does it make if we are getting more nicotine by vaping than we did while smoking. I'm not saying that we are getting more. I am just wondering why you keep asking basically the same question over and over again. It seems to me like you are trying to find something bad and I feel sure you are not going to find anyone here to confirm your fears. It was not the nicotine in smokes that was detrimental to ones health. It was the thousands of other chemicals and the tar we took into our bodies while smoking. Vaping may look like smoking but IT IS NOT SMOKING. I do hope you will someday understand and believe what I am saying because worrying can be very detrimental to your health.

Trying to determine how many smokes are equal to how much e-liquid is like trying to compare apples to oranges. They may look somewhat alike and the action of drawing something into our mouths and for some into their lungs may be similar but the similarity ends right there. It is the smoke that kills not the nicotine.

Your body WILL tell you when you have taken in to much nicotine. When/if that happens just put down the vape for a while and if need be, cut the strength of your nicotine down to a number that agrees with you. I do hope that one day you will be able to accept that vaping is not smoking and will be able to just relax and enjoy being smoke free thanks to vaping.

Last edited:

Newtothevapelyf3

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2016
I am still wondering why you seem to be so very concerned about the nicotine. What difference does it make if we are getting more nicotine by vaping than we did while smoking. I'm not saying that we are getting more. I am just wondering why you keep asking basically the same question over and over again. It seems to me like you are trying to find something bad and I feel sure you are not going to find anyone here to confirm your fears. It was not the nicotine in smokes that was detrimental to ones health. It was the thousands of other chemicals and the tar we took into our bodies while smoking. Vaping may look like smoking but IT IS NOT SMOKING. I do hope you will someday understand and believe what I am saying because worrying can be very detrimental to your health.

Trying to determine how many smokes are equal to how much e-liquid is like trying to compare apples to oranges. They may look somewhat alike and the action of drawing something into our mouths and for some into their lungs may be similar but the similarity ends right there. It is the smoke that kills not the nicotine.

Your body WILL tell you when you have taken in to much nicotine. When/if that happens just put down the vape for a while and if need be, cut the strength of your nicotine down to a number that agrees with you. I do hope that one day you will be able to accept that vaping is not smoking and will be able to just relax and enjoy being smoke free thanks to vaping.
I'm not saying that at all actually. I'm just wondering.... I keep seeing articles that vaping is just as bad for the heart as analogs.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I keep seeing articles that vaping is just as bad for the heart as analogs.
And believing them.
Which is where your problem lies.

And kudos to mattiem for an outstanding post.

Sometimes a slap in the face is needed.
And sometimes, even a slap in the face doesn't help.

I guess it depends on who is getting slapped.
:laugh:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'm not saying that at all actually. I'm just wondering.... I keep seeing articles that vaping is just as bad for the heart as analogs.
Much of that is propaganda created and designed to destroy vaping. Greedy corporations (Big Tobacco and Big Pharmacy) and corrupted government agencies (FDA) have much to lose if vaping becomes successful.

Having said that, nicotine is a vasoconstrictor drug just as caffeine is. Vasoconstrictors shrink small blood vessels limiting the blood flow to tissues. The heart is full of tiny blood vessels, so theoretically vaping nicotine could contribute to angina, coronary heart disease, and hypertension. Caffeine consumers are equally vulnerable to the same thing. Caffeine is found in soda, coffee, tea, and chocolate among other foods. It can not be argued, though, that vaping is less harmful than smoking on the lungs because it doesn't have the tar and other nasty toxins that tobacco smoke has and causes cancer.

Last edited:

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Us current vapers are the first wave of long term study subjects, I accept that and have decided to make peace with the unknowns in regards to long term effects. I do know that I feel healthier and better than I have in thirty plus years by switching to consuming nicotine via vaping vs smoking. My body is telling me that it is better off these days, and that is good enough for me...

gotch23

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2011
Fukuoka, Japan
What the others said.

Also bear in mind, that nicotine absorbtion from vaping is not nearly as efficient
as from combustion, meaning that a higher percentage of the nic present
in cigarettes makes its way into the body.

So you can't really compare nic uptake just looking at the numbers of what is
present in the product.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Have you considered that the articles have been paid for by those that want to kill vaping as we know it? Do you understand that they will lie and tell half truths to demonize vaping? Do you realize that they will do anything to keep the money flowing into their pockets?

Vaping is taking money away from too many folks so they LIE !!!!!

Matty316

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2014
Hull, England
This is the way I see it. You get the amount of nicotine from vaping that you need to satisfy your cravings then stop untill you feel the urge again. No sane person would vape so much that their nicotine intake made them feel ill.

The trick is finding a level that suits you. Some people like a higher nicotine hit and vape less often, some like to chain vape at a low nicotine level and there's lots who find someting in bertween suits them.

Last edited:

sketchness

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2014
Sacramento, CA
Google is your friend here. There are several studies out there. As mentioned above nicotine absorption is much less efficient in vaping. And I have yet to see one where the subjects are sub ohming. That is what I really want to see.

And smoking made me sick at first or dizzy and I kept doing it until it didn't anymore. 4 hours between cigs would cause a head rush. So the notion we wouldn't do it if it made us sick is shaky at best.

@Newtothevapelyf3 for once you are somewhat well behaved. But your posting history limits the productivity of the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread